7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Youngest American to Summit Kilimanjaro and Elbrus  (Read 5460 times)

Jeff - Texas

I would like to know who the youngest American to summit Kilimanjaro, also who is the youngest American to summit Elbrus?

I am 14 years old (almost 15) and would like to know who the youngest american is to summit Kili and also the youngest american to summit Elbrus because I may attempt Kili during Christmas to New Years (during my birthday)

Jeff - Texas

Bob

• Armchair...
  • Altitude: 0
Re: Youngest American to Summit Kilimanjaro and Elbrus
« Reply #1 on: Aug 3 2004, 19:42 »

I climbed (walked) Kili on 30 Dec 2002, back at the hotel on New Years Eve was an American mother and father with 2 daughters who had summitted that morning. The youngest daughter was 10 IRRC.
I note that they must have got transport down at some point to be back in Moshi so quick. Not likely to see them on Elbrus (I hope!!).

illicit

• Armchair...
  • I am too lazy too change this text!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16 2005, 17:26 »

Less than a week ago, I summited Kilimanjaro (12th Jan, 2005). It is quite common to have young people climb Kilimanjaro, but the chance of success for an under 18, is greatly reduced. (normal rate being a 60% success) I was 15 when I summited.

The hotel we stayed at, (The Keys Hotel) claimed on their notice board that the youngest in the world, and the youngest male American to climb Kilimanjaro, was 9 years of age, while the youngest female was from the UK at 11 years of age.

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17 2005, 02:10 »

actually, to protect children from their record-happy parents, there is now a minimum age of 10 for children, they cannot climb if they are younger, which is a good thing...
 8)
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

illicit

• Armchair...
  • I am too lazy too change this text!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17 2005, 03:14 »

They are allowed to climb, but not over 3000 m, which in my point of view is quite pointless, since they will have to come home during the second day.

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17 2005, 03:28 »

yes, you are right, they are not allowed to summit.

Actually it is a quite nice 2 day trip to climb to the first camp on the Marangu route, and go to Maundi Crater to enjoy the views, sleep in the huts and go down the next day.
You can choose a few route variations and if you do not have enough time, money or stamina to do the entire climb, this might be a nice way to see Tanzania from above and climb a bit of Kilimanjaro..

I actually organised and produced this 2-day trip for the Dutch TV series Planetrace, where they had only 6 days for Tanzania (the other days were spend in the safari parks). Everybody was real proud and said tghis was the best 2day hike ever!

O0
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 23 queries.