7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: camera for the 7 summits  (Read 7334 times)

acetk

• Hiker
  • Altitude: 0
  • Explore the world...Climb mountains...
camera for the 7 summits
« on: Jan 10 2004, 06:27 »

im looking for a camera that i could use on all the 7 summits.  what do you recommend aps, digital, 15mm? and any specific brands or cameras that are excellent?

Ron

• Mountaineer
  • Altitude: -1
  • Adapt,improvise and overcome!
Re:camera for the 7 summits
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10 2004, 06:45 »

I would not recommed aps..to small a negative to develope and exhange.

I use digital myself (4mil Mega pix) b/c its so small and compact....but i think Harry's pics are a bit more alive using a classic mirror reflex camara (dont know if i translated it correctly from dutch) ;D

trunl

« Reply #2 on: Jan 13 2004, 07:30 »

i would recommend the digital, pics are easy and fast to develop.

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
« Reply #3 on: Feb 2 2004, 18:01 »

Ron is referring to the SLR camera's I always take. Although TRunl is right in that digital camera's are easier and quicker for internet usage, the quality still isn't nowhere near a good slide, especially if you want to use it for print publications or enlargements. Also they are battery dependent, not only do batteries last not as long in cold temperatures, most models need a charger, so mostly you cannot recharge.
I took a Canon 500n consumer camera to 5 of the 7 summits, worked fine in all conditions. Now I am taking the more advanced Eos3 with 2 lenses covering 15-300mm fr al types of shots. These are very heavy though and can be annoying, so it really depends if you just want a nice summit shot or make a book...

And all experienced photographers mostly take one light single use camera as they are completely mechanical, so when all electric things fail (even slr's) you can still use these...

Happy shooting,
Harry
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

trunl

« Reply #4 on: Feb 9 2004, 04:48 »

is that the kind most pro photographers use?

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
« Reply #5 on: Feb 9 2004, 14:26 »

is that the kind most pro photographers use?

You mean SLR's? Absolutely. But then you can even choose if you use regular (slide) film or large film. Very expensive and huge camera's (although mamiya and hasselblad make them quite small nowadays), but extremely sharp as the negatives are about 5 times as large...
Just look around some photgraphic website and learn about it. It's fun  8)
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 23 queries.