7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Boots for Aconcagua  (Read 39302 times)

MikeW

• Climber
  • Altitude: 13
  • To be is to climb!
Re: Boots for Aconcagua
« Reply #20 on: Oct 13 2004, 01:39 »

I'm planning to climb Aconcagua this January and I've been using the Salomon Pro Thermic leather boots with an inner shoes (so it's a double boot! ;)) for the last 2 years. I had them on Elbrus and my toes were toasty  ;D even with the bad temperatures that we had.

MikeW

Daisy

• Scrambler
  • Altitude: -23
« Reply #21 on: Oct 13 2004, 02:17 »

Hi MikeW

I just invested in a pair of plastics by Scarpa with high altitude liners for Aconcagua. I really hope they'll be warm enough because I get really cold.

Ron,
Do you sell these? are they reccommended? have you had any bad feedback about them? Also, it's really really hard to get gear for girls here in Ireland, especially gloves. I ordered some mitts months ago but I'm still waiting. You can only buy gear either in big sizes or for men where I live.
“Today, it is still not hard to find a man who will adventure for the sake of a dream or one who will search, for the pleasure of searching, and not for what he may find.”
                        Sir Edmund Hillary

Ron

• Mountaineer
  • Altitude: -1
  • Adapt,improvise and overcome!
« Reply #22 on: Oct 13 2004, 02:32 »

Hey daisy,
Did you buy the scarpa alpha or the scarpa vega. Well either way. With a special high altitude liner they are oke boots for Aconcagua....i would not use them on everest.

We have specialized shops here in Holland called "womens outdoor world". To bad its difficult to find it in Irelnad. Anyway even here its difficult to get the special expedition stuff in smal woman sizes.
take a look at http://www.outdoorresearch.com/home/page/or_women
They make wonderful gear for serious outdoor woman.

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
« Reply #23 on: Oct 13 2004, 14:15 »

Hi MikeW

I just invested in a pair of plastics by Scarpa with high altitude liners for Aconcagua. I really hope they'll be warm enough because I get really cold.

Ron,
Do you sell these? are they reccommended? have you had any bad feedback about them? Also, it's really really hard to get gear for girls here in Ireland, especially gloves. I ordered some mitts months ago but I'm still waiting. You can only buy gear either in big sizes or for men where I live.

Hi Daisy,

I used the Scarpa inverno/vega (same) with HA liners twice on Aconcagua, they take you to the summit without problem  ;)
Seriously, they are heavy but warm and you will not twist an ankle on those bloody rocks and scree in the canaleta  :P
Do not forget to take out the liners every night and dry them out in your sleeping bag, they will be dry very soon and warmer the next morning.
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Daisy

• Scrambler
  • Altitude: -23
« Reply #24 on: Oct 13 2004, 14:16 »

Thanks Ron,

I got the scarpa vega...

And thanks for the link!

Daisy
“Today, it is still not hard to find a man who will adventure for the sake of a dream or one who will search, for the pleasure of searching, and not for what he may find.”
                        Sir Edmund Hillary

ICAN

• Armchair...
  • Altitude: 0
  • Is it just a dream?
« Reply #25 on: Mar 6 2005, 03:02 »

I am off to Aconcagua in December, I have for the moment, Ladies Sportiva Nepal Extremes, from what I am reading above, I guess I should be looking for plastics??

As I already have the Nepals for my other climbs in and around the alps etc. I am thinking the plastics are also going to complete my gear for when I move up to colder higher climbs...
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 23 queries.