7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: kili packs  (Read 8864 times)

acetk

• Hiker
  • Altitude: 0
  • Explore the world...Climb mountains...
kili packs
« on: Jan 28 2004, 21:27 »

What size backpack is needed for a trip to kilimanjaro? ??? ???

Tomasz

Re:kili packs
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28 2004, 21:52 »

On Kili porters carry most of your gear, so you will need large duffle bag or large back pack, for sleeping bag, extra clothing, etc. I saw porters using both bags and backpacks, I don't think it matter much, they can balance both on their heads :)
You will still need to carry water, some food, camera, day clothing with you. What ever you need during the day hike.
I had 35 liter pack and it was more than sufficient, althought it was easy to put my down parka on summit day. I think you should be okay with 20 liters.
Tomasz

acetk

• Hiker
  • Explore the world...Climb mountains...
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29 2004, 02:43 »

thnx, but ill prob climb by the western breach route, and there arent any porters on that route, what size backpack should i have if there arent going be any porters? ??? and, What sleeping bag did you use? ???

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29 2004, 06:06 »

Hey Acetk,
why are there no porters on that route? Should have booked with us!
All good companies have porters on ALL routes. Just not for summitday as the porters take the traverse to the next camp, not via the summit, but then you still have the (assistent) guide with you.

Tomasz' info is very good; almost all porters carry duffels (sometimes containing packs) on their head.
How much clothing do you need for only a week? Cannot be much, beware for cold nights though and I would recommend a -5C/20F bag for average sleepers...

Let me know if you want me to (re)arrange your trip so you will enjoy it!  8)

Best regards,
Harry
« Last Edit: Jan 29 2004, 06:38 by 7summits »
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

trunl

« Reply #4 on: Jan 29 2004, 07:43 »

who did u book with?

Tomasz

« Reply #5 on: Jan 29 2004, 19:59 »

I'm surprised that there are no porters. I was under impression that no matter who you book with you get porters. Way for more people around the mountain to make a living.
I had a synthatic sleeping back rated to -7C. We slept in huts on marangu route and there were nights that i was cold and had to sleep in fleece and long underpants. But I found it okay, you can always put more cloths on if you're cold, although will not be as comfortable.

trunl

« Reply #6 on: Feb 9 2004, 04:38 »

cant u just find porters, and ask them to come with u for a fee?

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
« Reply #7 on: Feb 9 2004, 20:21 »

cant u just find porters, and ask them to come with u for a fee?

That is possible as well, there are dozens of men at every gate but then you do not know anything about them: they might be frauds (Hey!, wheres my luggage!) and even if they are ok, they might not listen to your guide.
It is best to arrange the porters and guides beforehand at one place (we arrange all this for you as part of the trip).
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Ben

• Armchair...
  • Pil Sung
« Reply #8 on: Mar 19 2004, 15:24 »

Whats the deal with every one taking porters part of being a climber is that you are out on your own (or at least in a small group) surviving by your self.  Kil is hardly one of the most chalanging climbs in the worold shurly you should be able to complete the climb with out the aid of porters?????

trunl

« Reply #9 on: Mar 21 2004, 09:05 »

of course we can. but most of us DO plan on climbing some of the world's most challenging mountains, so we dont want to waste our energy or get some injury that prevents us from doing the other mountains. so we use porters.
trunl
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 23 queries.