7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photo at Everest summit?  (Read 9996 times)

rxfan

• Armchair...
  • Altitude: 0
  • I'm so cool!
Photo at Everest summit?
« on: Jan 30 2004, 16:41 »

Hi everyone! Just a quick question (actually two): Has anyone ever seen a photo of Sir Edmund Hilary on Everest's summit? If so, can you provide me with a link? My dad and I were discussing how often we've seen photos of Hilary with his Sherpa guide Tenzing on lower altitudes, as well as photos of Tenzing on the summit, but never one of Hilary on the summit....

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
Re:Photo at Everest summit?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30 2004, 17:08 »

hehe, no there is not any pic. Hillary took photos from Tenzing and some panoramic shots around, but this is what he said later about Tenzing and a possible shot of himself on the summit:
"As far as I knew, he had never taken a photograph before, and the summit of Everest was hardly the place to show him how."
 ;D
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

rxfan

• Armchair...
  • I'm so cool!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30 2004, 23:56 »

Many thanks for the quick reply; I knew you guys would have the answer! Great quote, by the way :D

trunl

rxfan

• Armchair...
  • I'm so cool!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 9 2004, 06:00 »

Great photo, trunl...I saw that one at the following link as well:
http://www.artsales.com/HighlandStudioThe%20Summit.htm (about 1/4 of the way down the page) but the caption on the page described the shot as "Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay about to leave the South Col to establish camp IX below the south summit. May 1953", so I guess technically they were not at the actual summit (and, plus, who would have taken the photo if they were?  ;)

« Last Edit: Feb 9 2004, 06:01 by rxfan »

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
« Reply #5 on: Feb 9 2004, 21:59 »

http://7summits.com/images/details.php?image_id=75 (this same picture has been there since last August... and no it's not on the summit as you can read  ;))
« Last Edit: Feb 12 2004, 07:23 by 7summits »
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 22 queries.