7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Proving the summits  (Read 6711 times)

David E

Proving the summits
« on: Jun 11 2003, 21:13 »

I am in the process of trying to climb the 7 summits.  If/when I do this, how do I prove to the powers that be that I have climbed each peak, particularly for those that I solo climb (are summit photos enough proof)?

Anthony J. Biacco

• Hiker
  • Altitude: 1
  • Go climb a mountain!
    • My Mountaineering Page
Re:Proving the summits
« Reply #1 on: Jun 18 2003, 19:32 »

i guess that all depends on who 'the powers that be' are?

if we're talking sponsors, then i would imagine a photo would be fine. other ideas off the top of my head are, have a certified guide sign a piece of paper (more credible when they're joining you on your climb, obviously), maybe take a picture of a GPS screen while you're up there, or have them track your GPS progress. The ideas start getting a little 'out there'.
In the end, if your sponsors can't trust/believe in  you, why are they sponsoring you in the first place? :-)

-Tony

David E

« Reply #2 on: Jun 19 2003, 20:54 »

Thanks for the reply.
What about if you want to be recognised as an official '7 Summiteer'?  I presume there is someone (or a commitee) who has the final say whether you qualify or not - what proof would they want to see?  Easy enough if you have climbed with a company who could write a confirmation letter, but what about if you were on your own??

Anthony J. Biacco

• Hiker
  • Altitude: 1
  • Go climb a mountain!
    • My Mountaineering Page
« Reply #3 on: Jun 19 2003, 21:21 »

I don't think there exists such an 'official' body or committee. It's not like a certification or anything, it's an adventure.
If there was such a certification, either the mentioned GPS way, or having a guide (that's certified by that body or committee) accompany you to the peak, are the only ways i can think of that you can give them proof. A picture probably wouldn't cut it, you could be on any number of peaks faking it :)

-Tony

trunl

« Reply #4 on: Nov 9 2003, 06:34 »

the 'higher powers' cannot trust a guide to sign a piece of paper saying you completed the climb most of the time, as most of these mountains are in poor areas and the MOST (NOT ALL) locals will do anything for money, so it helps if the guide or porter or whatever does not work for you (and especially if he works for someone else).

Ron

• Mountaineer
  • Altitude: -1
  • Adapt,improvise and overcome!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 9 2003, 13:29 »

fotos are enough for me ( dont use photoshop 7.0  ;) )

trunl

« Reply #6 on: Nov 29 2003, 05:26 »

many photos can be faked, maybe videotape.  ::)

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
« Reply #7 on: Feb 2 2004, 18:32 »

For Everest you will need approval from Liz Hawley in Kathmandu.
To be entered in the only official 7summits list we (German Statician Eberhard Jurgalski and myself, Harry Kikstra) keep on this site and on Adventurestats.com, you need to fill out this application form so we can verify your claim with us, 'the powers that be'  ;D.
We know all the guiding companies who will either have guided the 7summits for you or were there at the time, so most claims are quite easy to check..

« Last Edit: Feb 2 2004, 18:34 by 7summits »
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

trunl

« Reply #8 on: Feb 9 2004, 05:00 »

so if Liz beleives u, ur in. right?

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
    • The 7 summits pages
« Reply #9 on: Feb 9 2004, 14:31 »

so if Liz beleives u, ur in. right?

Then you are in on the Everest list, yes. But be prepared for a 3rd degree investigation; and if strange facts appear later on, you can always get taken off the list again...
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

trunl

« Reply #10 on: Feb 10 2004, 06:50 »

what is a 3rd degree investigation?

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
    • The 7 summits pages
« Reply #11 on: Feb 10 2004, 16:43 »

what is a 3rd degree investigation?

It's a police type of thing: she's not going to ask you: "did you make it?", and then you say: "yeah, kinda" and then you are in. No, she will ask you everything about your climb, the route, conditions, teammates, witnesses etc. there might be other people present to ask you questions as well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 23 queries.