7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mountain film 'touching the void' hits UK cinema peak  (Read 7011 times)

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages

Touching the Void, the film of a real-life mountaineering survival story, has become the most successful documentary in UK cinema history.
The movie, which was named best British film at Sunday's Bafta Awards, has taken 1.68m at British box offices.

That has pushed it past Michael Moore's Bowling For Columbine, at number two, and In Bed With Madonna in third place.

Touching the Void tells the story of two climbers fighting for their lives on the Peruvian Andes in 1985.

MOST SUCCESSFUL DOCUMENTARIES IN THE UK
1. Touching the Void - 1.68m
2. Bowling for Columbine - 1.67m
3. In Bed with Madonna - 1.25m
4. Buena Vista Social Club - 955,000
5. Etre et Avoir - 705,000
Source: Pathe/AC Nielsen EDI
It was based on the book by Joe Simpson, who was left dangling over an ice crevasse by his climbing partner Simon Yates - who cut the rope in order to save one of them.
But against the odds Mr Simpson managed to get back down to base camp on his own.

*** Get your copy of this book here at Amazon with 30% off***

The climbers returned to the mountains to relive their original experiences on film.

It was the surprise winner of the Bafta for British film of the year, beating more commercial contenders like Love Actually, Cold Mountain and Girl with a Pearl Earring.

After the Baftas, director Kevin MacDonald said he felt like a "fraud" when he collected the award.

He said it was rare in the UK for people to go to the cinema to see a documentary - but viewers felt "a strong emotion when they saw it".

Story from BBC NEWS

Published: 2004/02/19 17:40:26 GMT
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Ron

• Mountaineer
  • Altitude: -1
  • Adapt,improvise and overcome!
Re:Mountain film 'touching the void' hits UK cinema peak
« Reply #1 on: Feb 29 2004, 00:58 »

I heard the are going to show it on BBC telly

Tomasz

« Reply #2 on: Mar 1 2004, 20:20 »

Hello

I've just seen it in the cinema. They play it only in one theatre in Toronto Canada.

I enjoyed it, anyone interested in mountain climbing (but not only) should see it.

Tomasz

trunl

« Reply #3 on: Mar 15 2004, 11:32 »

(yes its me!)
i have just seen this movie and all i can say is WOW. this movie is absolutely spectacular. it truly is a masterpiece. i highly recommend this move to everyone.
'till next time,
trunl
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 23 queries.