7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The deadliest mountain on earth?  (Read 10534 times)

Corsair

• Scrambler
  • Altitude: -2
The deadliest mountain on earth?
« on: Apr 28 2004, 05:55 »

This may sound a bit crazy, but I have at two different occassions heard that Mt Fuji, Japan is the peak which has claimed most lives.
I was further told that some of the reasons for this are:
2,5 miljon attempts the mountain every year.
Lots of completely unexperienced climbers, children and very old people try to reach the summit, mostly because it's a holy mountain and should be climbed at least once in a life time.
Very strong winds and rough conditions in the winter.
Crazy "traffic-jams" with long caravans of people all along the most popular routes.

One of the persons I talked to even gave me a figure - 2200 something people has died there :-(

Does anyone know more about this?
Curious.

To die? No, I climbed up there to LIVE!

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
Re: The deadliest mountain on earth?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 28 2004, 12:07 »

Well, the sad part is that Mt Fuji is known as the 'perfect' place to commit suicide, and Japan has one of the higher rates of suicide in the world; so if you count those deaths, then you easily make the number.
2 years a go a record of 78 bodies was found in the Aokigahara forest, supposedly a huge increase since the 'suicide manual' was released. But even if about 40-50 is 'normal' you will get to 2200 deaths easily last century alone...

But the book has been linked to the record 74 corpses found last year in Aokigahara - a wood at the foot of Mount Fuji recommended in the manual as "the perfect place to die".

(From bbc news page)

This is also mentioned in this article by Barnard which gives an overview of the history, routes and practical climbing info as well as a description of the circus...

One of the strangest natural features of the mountain is an area of virgin forest known as Aokigahara Jukai, the Sea of Trees. It is 2,400 hectares of white cedar, pine and boxwood growing from the only area of the mountain that was not covered by ash or lava in the 1707 eruption. A best-selling 1960 novel, later serialized on Japanese television, glamorized this forest as the site for a peaceful death. As a result, it has come to be known as "the forest of no return," an almost impenetrable fastness populated by snakes, foxes and wild dogs. An annual search of this forest is made by a special police unit, but the work is made more difficult by great outcroppings of volcanic rocks whose magnetic properties disorient compasses. Nevertheless, the bodies of more than 150 suicides have been recovered in recent years.

"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 22 queries.