7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 14 year old advice. Everest.  (Read 6735 times)

Everest at 35

14 year old advice. Everest.
« on: May 17 2004, 06:46 »

Hi guys. I'm 14 and i guess i'm a pretty avid climber for my age. I live in the AK and i've been around in the Chugach, Brooks, and in the St. Elias area. Well any way i am hoping to climb Everest before i'm 35 and i was wondering if any of you, i'm sure you do by the way, seeing that quite a few of you are highly experienced climbers and, had any advice for me on some good peaks that I could work my way up to, so i could get ready for my Everest ascent.

trunl

Re: 14 year old advice. Everest.
« Reply #1 on: May 18 2004, 04:17 »

first do a training program fit for denali
then do kilimanjaro
then do aconcagua
then take on a little more rigorous training program
then do Cho Oyo
then EVEREST!!!

(should take about 5 years)

trunl

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
« Reply #2 on: May 19 2004, 02:38 »

That is a good list. What is important is to break down an Everest climb into all possible problems/challenges and work on each of them:

- climbing technique: go climb outdoors, do some moderate technical stuff on lower altitude
- altitude: climb Kilimanjaro or Aconcagua to see how you react to altitude. Go for Cho Oyo to test the 8000m line
- Expedition camping/climbing: go on a multiple week trip, even if it's just in the Alaskan outdoors, to get the feeling about a long trip. Most of Everest is mental!
- Cold! Climb Denali at least to see if you can handle the cold on a desolate mountain.

When you are confident on all of these fields, then you can proceed to combine these on mountains like Everest. But you will meet the toughest challenge for mountaineers first: funding...  ;)
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Tanner

« Reply #3 on: May 22 2004, 23:31 »

I am looking to put a trip to Denali together for 2005. I am 16 right now and have dreams of climbing Everest as well. I've climbed on Denali twice (once as an assisant guide for Mountain Trip) and summited Aconcagua last December. I am not sure of the details right now (i am currently getting ready to lead a trip on Denali scheduled to leave on the 20th of June), but if you are interested, it is a great way to prepare for Everest, and it would be cool to have at least a couple team members my age. I have climbed with several people on Denali, who summited Everest after Denali (i dont think that's the wisest thing to do, but it can be done). best of luck to you and your planning,
Tanner Bixler

nandadevi

« Reply #4 on: Aug 31 2004, 03:49 »

first do a training program fit for denali
then do kilimanjaro
then do aconcagua
then take on a little more rigorous training program
then do Cho Oyo
then EVEREST!!!

(should take about 5 years)

trunl

With this limited training program you WILL get yourself killed if the slightest thing goes wrong on Everest.

trunl

« Reply #5 on: Aug 31 2004, 04:14 »

it was mearly a suggestion for a minimalist plan to be able to climb E as fast as you can.

nandadevi

« Reply #6 on: Sep 4 2004, 15:34 »

it was mearly a suggestion for a minimalist plan to be able to climb E as fast as you can.

He wasn't asking for a minimalist plan. He wanted to climb it before reaching 35.

Climbing also means coming down alive. Perhaps - with respect to climbing - you should focus less on what 'feels right' and gain more actual experience so you can make judgements based on that.

trunl

« Reply #7 on: Sep 5 2004, 00:25 »

its just a quote....

and as ive explained before, i would like to gain the experience, but i cannot because my parents cannot physically or finacially climb mountains with me, and they obviously wont let me go places by myself, so i must get sponsors and go on climbs with companies.

as for a non-minimalist plan, do everything i described, plus denali, or an alaskan mountain close in height and temp. also do some long winter camping. and climb a lot of 14000ers in the U.S. (if thats where you live).

trunl
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 22 queries.