7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dan Lochner summits Everest, one to go to become youngest 7summiteer!  (Read 7658 times)

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages

From MountEverest.net:
Just in by sat phone from Everest high camp:

Dan Lochner and Dan Meggitt just summited Everest along with Ang Migma Sherpa and Mingma Dorje Sherpa from the North side.

Dan Lochner, who turned 22 on May 12th (happy birthday!), needs only Vinson to become the youngest person to make the seven summits. But he's got to be quick and go for Vinson this year. On the South side is Britton Keeshan, 22 and a half years old, and if he gets Everest he will be the youngest to complete the seven.

The current record for the youngest 7 summiter belongs to Japanese climber Atsushi Yamada, who completed the feat at 23 years, 9 days.

Dan Lochner and Britton Keeshan, climbing Everest from the North and South respectively, are in line to become the youngest to climb the seven summits. Britton Keeshan, the grandson of Bob Keeshan, a.k.a. Captain Kangaroo, is 22 years old and is climbing with Alpine Ascents on the South side.

Dan turned 22 May 12th. Vinson, his last mountain after Everest, is typically summited in November through January. He could potentially be 22 years and 6 months at the completion of his 7 summits.

(from this page)
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
    • The 7 summits pages

Well, he has to be quick now!
As you can read in this post Britton Keeshan just summited Everest and is now the youngest 7 summiteer!
If Dan Lochner summits Vinson this year, he can still beat Britton... we will keep you posted when we have received all the details  8)
« Last Edit: May 24 2004, 13:49 by 7summits »
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

trunl

i calculated it, Dan needs to climb Vinson between Jan. 2nd and Feb. 1st. or around there, you didnt post Britton's exact birthdate, only that it was in November.

trunl

Andreas

• Scrambler
  • Altitude: -3

I don`t understand it! OK to be the youngest that have done it but then what? When you have achived your "life mission" at the age of 22 then you have nothing to look forward to. What should be your next task? Drugs?

I hope not!
"I never drink water, that is the stuff that rusts pipes"

W. S. Fields

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
    • The 7 summits pages

I don`t understand it! OK to be the youngest that have done it but then what? When you have achived your "life mission" at the age of 22 then you have nothing to look forward to. What should be your next task? Drugs?

I hope not!

:lol)

Ha, they probably used up their share of drugs already on the slopes of the mountains  ;D
If this is your life mission, yes, then you have a problem. But this record might be used as a basis (both knowledgewise as well as financially) for further missions.

Andreas, do you think your reaction would be the same if you were 20 years old and had an opportunity to break the record? I would go for it, it's a lot clearer goal then trying to be the 'first woman summiting Everest while breathing helium and wearing a wollen suit' or something  ;)

But climbing should be fun first of all, then goals might come in later.

Dan Lochner

Hi Everyone, Dan Lochner here.  I am currently in the process of planning my final summit, Vinson for this Fall.  It will be quite difficult to reach Antarctica and complete Vinson in time to gain the record, but I will do my best nonetheless.  I just hope that sponsorship comes through as I have purged myself of all my savings, maxed out all my credit cards and spent my senior year college tuition.  I definitely have all my cards on the table.  When I started my Seven Summit quest, my plan was to obtain the title as the youngest Seven Summitor, in an attempt to better promote my Prostate Cancer fundraising effort, my reason for climbing the Seven Summits.  Prior to heading to Everest this Spring, neither Britton or myself knew that one another was aiming for the same goal.  It came as a surprise to both of us, especially since we live close to one another.  We met before departing for our Everest expedition and had a good conversation.  Britton is a great person who I have tremendous respect for and is one who deserves the youngest title for his effort.  My plan is not to unseat Britton but to gain media exposure for my cause by becoming the youngest, to better promote it and reach my fundraising goal.  At the end of the day, I am just a college kid like my peers, so to gain awareness is difficult without some type of unique fundraiser.  The Seven Summit record is just that.  Plus, my family has a history with prostate cancer, my motivation for doing all of this in the first place.  Also, if I am not able to gain the record, no big deal, but I tried my best.  I still will complete the Seven Summits though.  And you might ask then what's next, the remains to be seen but maybe a Polar expedition.  Please visit my website at www.OATH7.com.  Thanks 7summits for your support.

Corsair

• Scrambler
  • Altitude: -2
To die? No, I climbed up there to LIVE!

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
    • The 7 summits pages

Hey Dan and Corsair,

thanks Dan, and good luck to you. Keep me posted if you can fnd a better (sooner & cheaper) way to get to Vinson before december.... and I might join you finishing my own 7 there (that is, if I make Everest this fall...)

Good luck!  8)

trunl

so since Dan has to summit in November to become the youngest. its now November, has anyone heard anything??? or is dan just gonna take 2nd youngest???

trunl

Tasty

Hey Trunl,
    Acoording to an article in a Richmond paper it looks like Dan Lochner has decided to hold off on the Seven Summits and push for the Grand Slam in a couple years (I think he wants to be the first American)...From another forum it looks like Danielle Fisher would be the next contender in the youngest seven summitter category (she is 19 and shooting to complete by May....and then there is already the 13yr old australian kid that is trying too...(he just summitted Elbrus and appears well on his way)...Hope this helps...

Enjoy,

Tasty
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 22 queries.