7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bulgarian climbers aborted attempt, one is missing, presumed dead  (Read 14990 times)

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages

Top news: 22 May 2004, Saturday.
The Bulgarians in the outskirts of Mount Everest have suspended their expedition early this morning.

Another two members - Ivan Valchev and Ivan Temelkov - were set to step on the top of the world but gave up due to the freezing temperatures, hitting 15-20 degrees below zero.

The third Bulgarian, Hristo Hristov, 26, who reportedly has stepped on the Everest is still unaccounted for.  Hopes fade for his survival as the weather conditions and the freezing temperatures makes it impossible for a man to live through in the mountain overnight.
(from the novinite website)

The Bulgarian news network reports the following:
Bulgarian Climber Missing From Everest Expedition

UPDATE 1: Updates with details, quotes from expedition members

SOFIA (bnn)- A climber of Bulgaria's Mount Everest expedition was missing Friday after an attempt to reach the world's highest peak, an official said.

The expedition had no connection with Hristo Hristov, since he started an effort to ascend to Everest on Thursday, expedition spokesman Peter Atanasov said.
Expedition member Karina Sulova said a man could not survive alone in the area for more than 48 hours.
“His chance to survive is to be found within 48 hours,” Sulova said.
She suggested that Hristov had reached the peak and was climbing down along a different route.

He started his effort to climb the summit from a camp at altitude of 8,300 meters (27,230 feet), Atanasov said.
So far three members of the expedition have reached 8,848- meter (29,029-foot) Everest. Two of them said they saw Hristov some 50 meters (54.6 yards) beneath the peak while descending on Thursday.

The climbers have repeatedly complained that their walkie-talkies often malfunction.

Bulgaria's Info Radio quoted Thursday expedition members as saying Hristov had given up his effort to climb Everest.
« Last Edit: May 23 2004, 12:42 by 7summits »
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
    • The 7 summits pages

George Dijmarescu posted the following on the Novinite website about Bulgarian climbing..

I Admire Bulgarian Strong Spirit and Mind*

Point of View: 21 May 2004, Friday.
EverestNews.com
By George Dijmarescu, Romania

I was on the summit with a Bulgarian who made the summit without the use of Oxygen but the way he climbed, sitting almost after every twenty steps is not what I call mountaineering and having fun.

He decided not to topple the third step but to go around it, I try to tell him that this is the way (he was asking me previously if one of the little incline was the first step).

He run in trouble and couldn't find an exit to the snow pyramid.

I was at the top of third step and I saw him sliding couple of times but he managed to regain his balance, then he wiped the snow from a ledge with his arm and he was pounding his head against the rock, not very hard, then he started to pound his fist on the rock, he looked at me and his look was in desperation and sounded like:"I screwed up", down climbing was out of the question giving the snow condition.

I yelled at him to go to the right, I had a vantage point and I saw a little snow gully to the right and the only option for this Bulgarian strong man or strong mind. He managed to exit and be at the summit with us.

His face look like from horror movies, he laid on his back at the summit and we left him there; there is a report he never made it back.

The celebration of Bulgarians turned sour and this is not the end.

Climbers remember Prodanov and his legendary climb 20 years ago, this man worked so hard to climb without oxygen, was it worth it?

I don't think so and I don't think his family thinks so.

He tries something different, I always admire people who try the hard way but is so much waist of spirit and gives so much pain.

* The author is George Dijmarescu, a Romanian climber.
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
    • The 7 summits pages

The friends and relatives have put out a reward for anyone who can save their friend Hristo Hristov. Yesterday they offered $10,000, today this was increased to $20,000.

What is a life worth? And will anyone care at this altitude if there is a reward before they try to save someone else?
 :_)

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
    • The 7 summits pages

Alex Abramov, who reported from the summit has found the body of missing Burlgarian climber Hristo Hristov.

From Novinite.com:

Missing Bulgarian Alpinist Found Dead

Hristo Hristov, 26, was the youngest member of Bularia's expedition team, who attacked the "top of the world" in commemoration of first Everest climbing by Hristo Prodanov, 20 years ago. Photo by Yuliana Nikolova (novinite.com)

Sports: 24 May 2004, Monday.
Missing Bulgarian alpinist was found dead in the outskirts of Everest by a Russian climber passing by.

According to Peter Atanassov, spokesperson of the Bulgarian expedition, the body was recovered early this morning, at a place close to the "second step", at an altitude of 8,680 m.

The Russian Alexander Abramov and two Sherpas have found him seated.

Hristo Hristov, 26, is the youngest member of the Bulgarian expedition Everest 2004, organized in commemoration of the first Bulgarian conquer of the highest peak.
Twenty years ago, Bulgaria's Everest pioneer Hristo Prodanov never came back on his way down.
meanwhile the Bulgarian climbers are continuing, including a niece of Hristo Prodanov:
Also from Novinite:

First Bulgarian Woman Meters Away from Everest
2004-05-24
Bulgaria follows with breath caught the latest steps of Mariana Maslarova on her way up to the Mount Everest.

If successful, she will be the first Bulgarian woman to step on the "top of the world."

Mariana Maslarova is a niece of Bulgaria's pioneer in Everest conquering, Hristo Prodanov.

According to latest information, she has reached the "second step" at an altitude of 8,680 m, in the team of an international commercial expedition, including Russians and Brazilians as well. This is an altitude record by a Bulgarian woman so far.

At the same "death zone" altitude, Hristo Hristov was found dead earlier today. He is so far the youngest Bulgarian to have conquered the peak.

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
    • The 7 summits pages

Well fortunately Mariana Maslarova seems to have survived her summit attempt...
From Novinite
Bulgarian Everest Woman "Sets Altitude Record"

Top news: 25 May 2004, Tuesday.
Bulgarian Everest climber Mariana Maslarova, who was feared lost in her ascent to the summit, is believed to have set an altitude record by a Bulgarian woman, reaching the "second step".

Two Nepali Sherpas have told Ivan Valchev, member of a concurrent Bulgarian expedition, they saw Mariana at an altitude of 8,680 meters.

Russians have spotted Mariana Maslarova at camp 2 at a height of 7,800 meters, spokesman of the Bulgarian Everest expedition Petar Atanasov said on Tuesday, denying earlier reports of her disappearance.

Maslarova will continue her descent on Tuesday, he added.

He denied to conjecture whether the female alpinist has topped the Mount of Everest.

Mariana Maslarova, who tried to summit Everest as part of a commercial Russian-Brazilian expedition, is feared lost after heading for the peak against advice from peers, the Internet sites www.mounteverest.net and www.everestnews.com reported Monday.

Maslarova is a niece of Hristo Prodanov, the first Bulgarian to climb Everest in 1984.

The concurrent Bulgarian expedition, which lost its youngest member on the summit, is expected to fly back home May 30 on a Kathmandu-Abu Dhabi-Istanbul flight.

The body of missing Bulgarian climber Hristo Hristov, 26, was found Monday on the northern side of the peak at an altitude of 8,680 meters.

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
    • The 7 summits pages
Bulgarian climber (f) still missing
« Reply #5 on: May 27 2004, 22:34 »

Now it is unsure again if she is still alive, she is 'missing'

From Novinite:
Bulgarian Everest Woman Still Missing

Sports: 27 May 2004, Thursday.
There is still no information about the Bulgarian Everest climber Mariana Maslarova.

That was announced by the spokesperson of the Bulgarian Everest expedition Peter Atanasov. He, however, underlined that this doesn't mean that Maslarova is missing, she is just unaccounted for.

Mariana Maslarova was reported missing Monday evening. Later that information was refuted as two Nepali Sherpas told Ivan Valchev, member of a concurrent Bulgarian expedition, they saw Mariana at an altitude of 8,680 meters.
Russians have spotted Mariana Maslarova at camp 2 at a height of 7,800 meters, Atanasov said on Tuesday, denying earlier reports of her disappearance.

Maslarova, who tried to summit Everest as part of a commercial Russian-Brazilian expedition, is a niece of Hristo Prodanov, the first Bulgarian to climb Everest in 1984.
The concurrent Bulgarian expedition, which lost its youngest member on the summit, is expected to fly back home May 30 on a Kathmandu-Abu Dhabi-Istanbul flight.

The body of missing Bulgarian climber Hristo Hristov, 26, was found Monday on the northern side of the peak at an altitude of 8,680 meters.

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
    • The 7 summits pages
Bulgarian female Everest climber found, also dead...
« Reply #6 on: May 29 2004, 22:32 »

Last and final update: her body has been found.  :(

Woman Climber Dies on Everest

"PA"
A Bulgarian climber who was missing for five days on Mount Everest has been declared dead, an official said today.

Expedition spokesman Peter Atanasov, said the body of Mariana Maslarova, 42, was located Saturday by Brazilian climbers at about 8,680 metres (28,478 feet) up the mountain.

Maslarova was hoping to become the first Bulgarian woman to reach the summit of Mount Everest as part of an international commercial expedition.

She is niece of Hristo Prodanov, the first Bulgarian to climb Everest in 1984. Prodanov died on the mountain on his way back.

Last week, another Bulgarian member of this year’s expedition – 26-year-old Hristo Hristov – was found dead after descending from the summit.

Since New Zealander Edmund Hillary and Sherpa Tenzing Norgay first conquered Everest on May 29, 1953, more than 1,400 climbers have scaled the mountain. About 180 people have died on its unpredictable slopes.

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
    • The 7 summits pages
George Dijmarescu on Everest
« Reply #7 on: Nov 16 2004, 02:48 »

Mounteverest.net posted a terrible account of George Dijmarescu's expedition last year, check it out here and learn from it.
Beware of this man and these kind of 'manners'  :?)

tasty

• Armchair...
  • Altitude: 2
  • I changed it!!

A very interesting article on George indeed...The (free registration) article is a very interesting read in its entirety and I suggest anyone reading it before considering the "cheaper" North Side of Everest...

http://www.ctnow.com/news/local/northeast/hc-uphigh.artnov14b,1,7792262.htmlstory?coll=hc-headlines-northeast

I don't know if it is too long to post in one of these things (not sure of the rules)...

Enjoy!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 22 queries.