7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Sponsoring  (Read 26347 times)

nvdam

• Armchair...
  • Altitude: 0
  • I am too lazy too change this text!
Sponsoring
« on: May 25 2004, 20:52 »

I am a newcomer to the climbing arena, and hooked! I am planning to climb the seven summits, but am a mere college student.  In order to be able to realize this dream I will need a whole lot of sponsoring. Does anyone have experience in applying for sponsorship? What is the best way to go about doing this? Thanks,
NIk

trunl

Re: Sponsoring
« Reply #1 on: May 26 2004, 00:59 »

try the new sponsorship area in the forum!

heres what you need on the sponsorship:

1. your goal (dont be too specific, most people dont know too many mountains outside of everest)

2. what you are doing that will make you succeed (training, again dont be too specific)

3. what THEY are getting out of this (you will make a speech, pose for a commercial, put their company logo on whatever equipment, etc.)

trunl

trunl

« Reply #2 on: May 26 2004, 04:03 »

i will post my letter AS AN EXAMPLE. PLEASE DO NOT COPY.

Dear      ,

My name is            . I wish for my dream to come true and for me to be able to become the youngest person (I am now 15, but will try to finish before the age of 22) to climb the 8 summits (the highest mountain on every continent plus the highest mountain in the Oceania area), plus some practice mountains. Unfortunately, I cannot do this without sponsorship money (About $175,000). To prove that I can do this, I am exercising every nearly day. I try to run at least 36 miles a week. I do weight training. Also, I do stairs, to help me improve walking upward. While doing all this, I carry weight on my back to simulate a pack. The following is a list of what you will receive for each level of sponsorship.

$100,000- Title Sponsor    Attendance of 2 events
            2 speeches
            Logo on all clothes
            Logo on most equipment
            Logo on tents
            Logo on team flag
            Logo on various banners in base camp
            Logo in most pictures (including summit pictures)
            Logo in most pictures that will appear in magazine or websites
            Logo on my website
            Ads for your company at the end of my update emails
            Link to your website from mine
            Mentioned in all interviews

$50,000- Gold Sponsor-   Attendance of 2 events OR 2 speeches OR a mix of both
            Logo on some equipment
            Logo on some tents
            Logo on team flag (which will appear in summit picture)
            Logo on my website
            Ads for your company at the end of some of my update emails
            Link to your website from mine
            Mentioned in some interviews

$20,000- Silver Sponsor-   Attendance of 1 event OR 1 speech
            Logo on some clothes
            Logo on website
            Ads for your company at the end of at least 10 of my update emails
            Mentioned in 1 interview

$5,000- Bronze Sponsor-   Logo on some clothes
            Logo on website
            Ads for your company at the end of at least 5 of my update emails

I am looking for at least one of each sponsor.

You can contact me for details at     @         or just click reply.

Sincerely,

wazza

« Reply #3 on: Aug 22 2004, 20:24 »

i will post my letter AS AN EXAMPLE. PLEASE DO NOT COPY.

Dear      ,

My name is            . I wish for my dream to come true and for me to be able to become the youngest person (I am now 15, but will try to finish before the age of 22) to climb the 8 summits (the highest mountain on every continent plus the highest mountain in the Oceania area), plus some practice mountains. Unfortunately, I cannot do this without sponsorship money (About $175,000). To prove that I can do this, I am exercising every nearly day. I try to run at least 36 miles a week. I do weight training. Also, I do stairs, to help me improve walking upward. While doing all this, I carry weight on my back to simulate a pack. The following is a list of what you will receive for each level of sponsorship.

But on your website:
"I am currently doing weight training, sit-ups, and running 19 miles a week with an 18 pound backpack on."

so what is it... 19 or 36?

trunl

« Reply #4 on: Aug 22 2004, 23:14 »

dude, what is it with you!? are you like obsessed with me or something??????!!!!

as an explanation for my mistake i will say that i changed my schedule. i found out that running less with weight is a better work out.

please leave me alone. and please stop responding to my posts unless you have a valid argument or some positive criticism.

trunl

Ron

• Mountaineer
  • Altitude: -1
  • Adapt,improvise and overcome!
« Reply #5 on: Aug 23 2004, 03:07 »

Cool down people....

People are intiteld to ask questions if there are inclarities. As long it is done in a civilized way

txs in advance or Ill moderate  ;)

trunl

« Reply #6 on: Aug 23 2004, 05:33 »

sry, its just like this guy is trying to catch me in something so he can ruin me. sry again. i will not do anything innapropriate.

trunl

tanner

• Hiker
  • Altitude: 0
  • Follow Your Dreams!
    • SURF2SUMMIT
« Reply #7 on: Aug 24 2004, 13:36 »

Isn't $175,000 a lot for the 7 (or 8) summits? That seems a little over priced. I'd do a little more research to get cheaper trips. How has it been getting sponsors trunl? When I once had ambitions of doing the Seven Summits (before I saw all the magnificent and possibly unclimbed peaks in the Andes), someone (an unimpressed potential sponsor) kindly told me "Everyone and their mother is attempting this.....what makes you special?" I really can't say (for me) since there are many people now trying for the youngest. I have come to find as well, that trying the seven summits unguided or semi-unguided (logistics arranged without the guides) tends to catch more sponsors eyes as it portrays their climber in a better light. Though I pay for most of my climbs by working over 40 hours a week, I have been able to get some $'s flowing from my website. Your website is very good looking, but I think you need to get some mountains on your "previous mountains" page before looking for big sponsors (a plane ticket to Seattle and trips in the Cascades are afforsable). I have come to find that no matter how much you say you are dedicated, without previous experience, to sponsors, especially because of your age, you aren't a safe investment. Other than that, you have a very detailed and well thought out plan...just hope you have good weather.... Repeating something like Everest or Vinson can really drive the price-tag up! Regardless of how far you get to your goal, it will be one hell of an adventure,
Tanner

trunl

« Reply #8 on: Aug 24 2004, 18:58 »

about the money. i do not plan on using all of it, and the money i dont use will go back to the sponsors. and in the $175,000 i am doing the 8 summits plus Cho Oyu. and about the guiding, like i mentioned in other posts, i am young and my parents will not let me go to africa by myself, so i must join a group, or go with them. and since they are not rich or in shape, then i have no other choices. and about the previous mountains, like i said, cant go to seattle or the cascades by myself and the parents dont have the $ or the shape to go with me.

and what makes me special? well i have updated my website and sponsorship letter, so i will be climbing for heart disease, all money generated through ads will go towards it. and of course the youngest thing (although i dont really care about being the youngest).

and about sponsors, i just received a small sponsor, LEKI, but not any major ones. i will be sure to update my website when i get the chance so i can recognize everyone.

trunl

tasty

« Reply #9 on: Aug 24 2004, 22:21 »

Trunl...this link is interesting from today's WSJ....take a look, it might help...

http://online.wsj.com/article_email/0,,SB109330163443699028-IdjfINglal3o52saHyIbKmEm4,00.html

Cheers,

tasty

tasty

« Reply #10 on: Aug 24 2004, 22:53 »

Trunl,
    Over the last several days I have been witness to several of your discussion (or posts) directed at other people.  You should keep in mind that if you do recieve corporate sponsorship, they will without a doubt perform a background check and multiple searches into your past.  Should any of them find your posts on this site, you will be percieved as somewhat immature and ergo an erratic at best, risky at worst, investment.  My advice to you is to curb your enthusiasm for posting and get out there and prove yourself worthy of investment...

lataz,

Tasty

Ron

• Mountaineer
  • Altitude: -1
  • Adapt,improvise and overcome!
« Reply #11 on: Aug 24 2004, 23:52 »

Like i said before......someone's dream does not necesarrely be a goal for others..but if its YOUR dream and you wanna go for it....GO m8 GO...

trunl

« Reply #12 on: Aug 25 2004, 04:03 »

i like the advice. and i liked the article. i will keep what you said in mind!

trunl

Mari

• Hiker
  • Altitude: 39
  • Am I supposed to write something here? :)
« Reply #13 on: Oct 25 2004, 14:19 »

Wanna find a sponsor? Check out these tips..

Firstly you should contact your local newspaper and try to get them to write a story about your trip to come. After that it'll be much easier to contact the sponsors. Instead of sending letters, I think it's better to call everyone. Many people will turn you down but don't give up.

Use the internet to find potential sponsors. Then ask yourself: If they finance my expedition, what can give in return? If a certain company shows some interest, try to arrange a face-to-face meeting. The first impression you make is everything, so look as athletic, fit, enthusiastic, determined and experienced as you possibly can.

One warning: DO NOT imply that you are more experienced than you really are (or something alike). They WILL check your background and if they find out that you haven't been honest, you can kiss the money goodbye.
Altitude record 6654m. Next summer (2011) will try to up that to 7546m..

trunl

« Reply #14 on: Oct 26 2004, 04:47 »

done, done, and done.  ;D ;D ;D

trunl

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
« Reply #15 on: Oct 26 2004, 04:53 »

BTW, one tip: you can abuse 7summits.com for your sponsorfinding:
You are free to mention that we will cover your trip with updates on the site, mention sponsors etc.

As long if it's one of the 7 summits, I have no problem with that.
 8)
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Rob

« Reply #16 on: Apr 11 2005, 03:17 »

Hello,
I am currently training for an exciting summer of climbing. I am looking for an expedition to join. I'm really flexible, I would consider climbing about any where. I just love climbing.
ROB.

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
    • The 7 summits pages
« Reply #17 on: Oct 11 2005, 21:33 »

BTW, one tip: you can abuse 7summits.com for your sponsorfinding:
You are free to mention that we will cover your trip with updates on the site, mention sponsors etc.

As long if it's one of the 7 summits, I have no problem with that.
 8)

I just removed a post by Warren Allard. When I said you can abuse 7summits.com for your sponsorfinding I do not mean you can use 7summits.com for advertising expeditions competing with ours to get funding/clients/marketing money...  ::)

If you want to advertise, buy Google ads (see top of pages).
If you have a proposal for sponsors that might make them decide for your 7summits.com trip, post it here  8)
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Warren Allard

« Reply #18 on: Oct 11 2005, 21:54 »

Sorry:

I didn't realize this site was of a personal nature.

We're just trying to get finding for a new expedition.  We'll try indeed the other options you suggested.

Sorry for the mixup.

WA

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
    • The 7 summits pages
« Reply #19 on: Oct 12 2005, 03:46 »

Sorry:

I didn't realize this site was of a personal nature.

We're just trying to get finding for a new expedition.  We'll try indeed the other options you suggested.

Sorry for the mixup.

WA

No worries, hope to see you on Everest  8)
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.25 seconds with 23 queries.