7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 22-y.o. climber becomes Japan's youngest 'seven summiteer'  (Read 3368 times)

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages

(from Mainichi)
"A 22-year-old Japanese man has climbed Mount McKinley and become the youngest Japanese to conquer the tallest mountains on each of the seven continents, his family said on Thursday.

Haruhisa Watanabe, a researcher at Kyushu Sangyo University in Fukuoka, was 22 years and 292 days old when he reached the 6,194-meter-high summit of Mt. McKinley in North America on June 12 local time.

Watanabe called his parents in Shizuoka Prefecture on Tuesday. "I made it to the top of Mt. McKinley. It was quite windy and I thought I was going to die," he told them in an energetic voice.

The previous Japanese record holder of reaching the tallest summits on all seven continents achieved his goal in May 2002 when he was 23 years and nine days old.

An American man is currently the world's youngest "seven summiter," achieved it in May this year when he was 22 years and 174 days old.

Watanabe, from Fukuoka, started the feat by conquering Mount Kilimanjaro, the highest in Africa, in September 2002. (Mainichi and wire reports, Japan, June 17, 2004)"

"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 22 queries.