7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: everest without oxygen  (Read 11342 times)

mattyl

everest without oxygen
« on: Jul 14 2004, 02:11 »

i believe everest should only beattempted without oxygen as a way of reducing the risk of ill prepared and inexperienced climbers being on the hill. what do people think??

Ron

• Mountaineer
  • Altitude: -1
  • Adapt,improvise and overcome!
Re: everest without oxygen
« Reply #1 on: Jul 14 2004, 12:53 »

I think Everest is for every1 to try...BUT it sure would help keep the tourists away.

Its a 2 sided thing...a guy working 70-80 hours a week and with some money wants to do someting challanging. He pays a lot of money to be guided up..with oxygen offcourse...who can blame him for that.
On the other hand...i did my attemp without oxygen last spring and im convinced that there are a lot of ill prepared /unexperianced clibers on the mountain who endanger not only themselves..but also others. And climbing with oxygen makes it possible for those people to be there.

At the end of the day though..like i said..you cannot deny people entrance to it. The mountains are for everyone to enjoy.

« Reply #2 on: Jul 17 2004, 00:22 »

That's a bad idea.   Not allowing someone to use a tool (O2 in this case) that is available to help make the climb easier or to help insure that they will safely reach the peak is ridiculous.  Why stop at O2 ... how about getting rid of the aluminum ladders in the Kumbu icefalls?  Or the fixed ropes on the Hillary Step?   If a highly experienced climber like Ed visteurs or Jim Whit. etc. etc. wants to climb without O2 as a personal goal or to add a further challenge for themselves I say more power to them, but not allowing O2 to those that want/need it won't stop less experienced or unconditioned people from attempting the summit ... it'll just increase the injuries and deaths.  My two fifths of a nickle.   

Best Regards,

Sledge

mattyl

« Reply #3 on: Jul 21 2004, 19:56 »

fair comments. how do you believe the number of inexperienced climbers should be regulated? it is certainly a problem and one which i beieve needs addressing to minimise the number of unnecassary deaths that are occuring at present.

Ron

• Mountaineer
« Reply #4 on: Jul 22 2004, 03:25 »

Its a never ending discussion on big mountains...especialy if you are an atletic and experianced climber (like me). You tend to set high standars for others too and feel that "tourists should not be there.
One tought is to set minimum standards in skill and experiance. Like having climbed Mt whitney or Mt Blanc is just by far not enough to go on Everest. To say you must have topped another 8000+ Mountain is also not realistic though. You can get a lot of experiance and skills on 6000-7000m mountains, surely enough for everest.
But were to draw the line and who's gonna draw it?

Its also a responsability of the commercial organisations on the mountain. They should set high standards for there customers and not take every weekend climber with them b/c they pay money.

trunl

« Reply #5 on: Jul 22 2004, 23:34 »

i say the line should stand here: at least 10 ascents of 7000 meter mountains OR at least 1 ascent of a 7000 meter mountain + 1 ascent of an 8000 meter mountain. is that fair??

trunl

Ron

• Mountaineer
« Reply #6 on: Jul 23 2004, 02:37 »

I do not agree m8

I consider myself a good technical climber and fairly experianced. Also im a very good athlete. I climbed several 6000+ but no 7000+ or even 8000+ before my non O2 attempt on Everest and i was 1 of the better climbers out there for sure.
Offcourse I have a lot of experiance in hardship, sorrow, pain, going under hard and difficult situations, sleep deprivation and so on b/c of my 10m year army backgroud as an NCO. And i have the stamina and sports back ground of a Pro athlete...that helps a lot.
So its different for each person...and thus a rule is very hard to make.

trunl

« Reply #7 on: Jul 23 2004, 05:40 »

this may be so, but you are probably a very extreme case and with most people, my rule would work pretty good. and we want a rule for most people. these extreme cases are just SOL (no offense).

trunl

Ron

• Mountaineer
« Reply #8 on: Jul 23 2004, 12:38 »

Explain SOL to me trunl...englisch is not my mother language :?)

trunl

« Reply #9 on: Jul 24 2004, 04:44 »

sh*t out of luck

mattyl

« Reply #10 on: Jul 26 2004, 18:55 »

perhaps another way to regulate climbers would be to give commercial operators stricter guidelines. for example all expeditions may be professionally led but not fully guided. this means that clients should have the necessary experience to move between camps independently before joing an expedition. by doing this, if the s*it hit the fan then clients would be more able to perform self rescue rather than relying on a guide who may be incapacitated.

trunl

« Reply #11 on: Jul 26 2004, 23:03 »

or there would be more deaths and injuries.

trunl
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 23 queries.