Partners needed > Sponsors & climbers offers

New Website, Kilimanjaro and sponsorship thoughts

(1/6) > >>

trunl:
hey guys, i just spent the last couple days at the computer making my own website. if you want to check it out you can at www.geocities.com/jeffwittliff

i appreciate any feedback positive or negative

bye the way, does anyone else have that database error on the home page?

trunl

Ron:
txs Trunl ill take a look at it.

look oke m8..big plans ;D....follow your dream

Yeah I also have that DB error....cant do anything about it though and garry is in Pakistan climbing :?)

trunl:
as you can see on my website, the first climb i want to do is kili. i have a few questions:
is this itinerary going to give me a good chance for success?
Day 1: Fly London to Kilimanjaro International Airport
On arrival at the airport, we are met by our representative and driven to our hotel in Moshi. This is a long day's travelling but we are settled into the hotel before midnight.
Day 2: Enter Arusha National Park and begin ascent of Mt Meru
Today, we drive to the foot of Mt Meru, a collapsed volcanic crater. The climb up it is said to rival that of Kilimanjaro. Leaving the hotel at about 10:00 a.m., a drive of 2 hours leads to the National Park entrance and from there we trek to the Miriakamba Hut. It can be extremely hot for those not used to the high temperatures of Africa, so plenty of water should be taken on the trek along with sunscreen, sun hat and, ideally, a large umbrella. The walk takes about three hours, leaving the rest of the day to explore the Meru crater. At its highest point, it forms a sheer cliff face more than 1,500m/5,000ft high and is one of the largest of its type in the world. The crater itself is well vegetated and full of wildlife. There is a good chance that we will see some big game.
Day 3: Climb to the Saddle Hut on Mt Meru
This is another short day to assist acclimatisation. However, you will be working hard and not yet fully accustomed to the climate of Africa, so regular water stops are taken. A 4-hour walk up the crater rim leads to Saddle Hut where we stop for the night. The Saddle lies between Mt Meru and Little Meru (3,820m/12,530ft) just to the north. In the afternoon, we can make the short climb to Little Meru, which is an excellent viewpoint.
Day 4: Summit day on Mt Meru (4,556m/14,947ft)
After an early start, we walk around the rim of the crater to the summit of Mt Meru. If it is clear, we have stunning views of the African plain and, of course, of Kilimanjaro which is only about 30 miles away to the east. Then we descend back to the Saddle Hut for a late breakfast. We then descend to the Miriakamba hut for the remainder of the day in order to rest after the exertions of the climb. This option also avoids the long walk down in the heat of the day.
Day 5: Descend Meru and head back to Moshi for rest
We make a very early start for the descent back to the National Park Gates. Following the drive back to Moshi and the hotel, we have the afternoon to rest and recover, ready for the climb of our main objective - Kilimanjaro.
Day 6: Begin ascent of Kilimanjaro
After a good night's sleep, we travel by jeep to the start of the Umbwe Route, at the foot of our main objective, Kilimanjaro. Being a more arduous trek than most routes on Kilimanjaro, the Umbwe has few visitors and is much more interesting than more popular trails. From the gate at 1,400m/4,590ft and with porters carrying our equipment, we set off up a good track. Eventually it narrows to become barely discernible, as we wind up through dense jungle. The rain forest is magnificent and the track a steady climb, finishing at the campsite at Forest Caves, at an altitude of 3,000m/9,840ft (approx 5 hours).
Day 7: Climb to Baranco Hut
The route continues through forest with a good chance of seeing Colobus monkeys before rearing up on to a steep, narrow ridge with deep valleys on either side. This gives a distinct high mountain feel. The flora is unusual, including African walnut trees draped in 'goats beard' moss. The huge ravine of the great Baranco drops away on one side and directly ahead is the awesome Breach Wall of Kilimanjaro. At 3,000m, we emerge on to high moorland and the entire character of the trek changes. The Baranco Hut, little more than a tin shack, is reached in mid-afternoon and we set up camp (3,900m/12,790ft, 5 hours).
Day 8: Acclimatisation and exploration
This is an acclimatisation day involving a short climb up the Baranco Wall to view the southern glaciers of Kilimanjaro. The hike provides good views of this side of the mountain and of Mt Meru. We then descend back to Baranco camp in time for lunch and a restful afternoon.
Day 9: Climb to Arrow Hut beneath the Breach Wall
We continue up the ridge until it joins the final slopes of the volcano. We have tremendous views of the Breach Wall to the right and of our route to the summit, up the Western Breach directly above. We camp near the ruins of the Arrow Hut which is a good, level campsite (4,800m/15,740ft, 5 hours).
Day 10: Summit day
We awake very early and are well underway by 3 a.m., climbing by head-torch until the pre-dawn light begins to illuminate the upper slopes of the volcano. We climb the steep scree and then rock that leads up past the Arrow Glacier to the crater rim. There a several sections of scrambling over the top of incredible frozen lava formations. As the sun rises on the horizon, we witness the remarkable shadow of Kilimanjaro stretching across the plains behind us, towards Mt Meru. Following the crater rim, we cross the foot of the tiny Furtwangler Glacier and then make a final steep climb up to Uhuru Summit (5,895m/19,340ft). The ascent from the camp to the summit takes between 6 and 8 hours.
The views from the summit are breathtaking; to the north stands Mt. Kenya, the second highest peak on the continent and to the west Mt. Meru. We spend about an hour on the summit, taking in the exposure and watching the clouds as they begin to form around the tips of the volcanoes. From the exhilaration of reaching the summit we continue eastwards along the crater rim, following the top of the tourist track, to Stella Point. Here, we leave the tourist track and turn down steep scree to the little-frequented Barafu Hut (4,600m/15,088ft) and on to the Mweka Hut (3,100m/10,170ft) at the start of the forest. This is a long but very rewarding day.

Day 11: Descent via the Mweka Hut
Leaving Mweka Hut, the path descends steeply through lush green forest. The route follows the crest of a broad ridge separating two river valleys, before the path widens and leads us to Mweka Village. From the village of Mweka, we are taken by jeep to our hotel in Moshi. We have a good meal and a few drinks to celebrate in the evening.
Day 12: At Leisure in Moshi, evening flight to London
We have the day to explore Moshi and to wind down, after the relatively fast pace of the expedition. A visit to the market place at Moshi's centre perhaps, might give us the only real experience of Tanzanian life as it is lived daily by the locals. We will also have the opportunity to buy local handicrafts as souvenirs of our African adventures. We depart in the evening to catch our homebound flight. 

also another question: does anyone use jagged globe? are they trustworthy?

trunl

Corsair:
looks like a good plan to me. when are you off?

jagged globe has as far as i know a good reputation.

i'm off soon as well, may see you in africa  ;)

trunl:
late december to early january...

trunl

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version