7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: cheap gear?  (Read 12873 times)

Marlous

cheap gear?
« on: Aug 5 2004, 13:50 »

I saw the IMAX picture of David Breadshears when I was in Canada and only after 5 minutes I wanted to do that as well. I really want to climb kili, but I have some 'demands'. I would like to climb via the western breach route and not to climb in the middle of the night to the summit. (what's the fun in that?). I'd like to camp in the crater and climb the summit not so early in the morning...
The only touroperator I could find who offers such a trip is www.go-kili.com. They have a beautiful website and answer my questions very quickly. Only problem is that they are quite expensive. Does anybody have experience with them?

Another thing is gear. I never would have guessed that it would be that expensive. I stumbled across a website (which has an add on thit site) who offers incredible discounts. www.mbstores.com. Is this legit?

Marlous

Matt

• Armchair...
  • Altitude: 0
  • I am too lazy too change this text!
Re: cheap gear?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 6 2004, 19:01 »

I can't comment on the Kili routes - but as far as the gear goes, the prices on that site are low, but not unreasonably so.

Ron

• Mountaineer
  • Altitude: -1
  • Adapt,improvise and overcome!
« Reply #2 on: Aug 7 2004, 03:23 »

Agree with Matt......but also...dont save money on gear that you need to survive in the high mountains

trunl

« Reply #3 on: Aug 7 2004, 03:57 »

no, i must disagree. save as much money as you can on gear, without purchasing gear that endangers you.

trunl

Malrous

« Reply #4 on: Aug 9 2004, 13:40 »

Thanks for the info guys! It's just that I don't think I will be climbing a lot of other mountains, so spending a lot of money on something you just use for a couple of days is a bit of a waste...

Roger

« Reply #5 on: Aug 16 2004, 05:25 »

Do not go cheap on Sleeping bag, goretex jacket and very good quality gloves.
You may be very sorry if you go for cheaper poor quality gear.
The type of bag depends on which time of the year you go.  If you are warm then you will sleep better. The wet weather gear will also relate to the time of the year you go.  Good gloves are essential.
Which route on Kili are you going?
What time of year?
Who is taking you?
My advise for anyone climbing Kili is go spend a day or two in the Ash pit and from there you can explore the glaciers.  Not many do this!!
You will need an experienced team to do this with O2 and other equipment for the nature of the area and altitude you are sleeping at.
Cheers
Roger from Australia

Ron

• Mountaineer
« Reply #6 on: Aug 16 2004, 12:45 »

Hey roger...for Kili no O2 is necaserry m8...i hope you did not mean it is ::)..hehehe ;)

trunl

« Reply #7 on: Aug 31 2004, 04:17 »

charity is just one of the several reasons that i want to climb for, i do care about it because there are many people on both sides of my family diagnosed with heart disease. also it does help with the sponsorship.

about the oxygen, I personally feel that it is unethical to climb with oxygen, however, i would not condemn (spelled right??) someone who does climb with it.

trunl

everestclimber

« Reply #8 on: Aug 31 2004, 12:15 »

about the oxygen, I personally feel that it is unethical to climb with oxygen, however, i would not condemn (spelled right??) someone who does climb with it.

trunl

Gee, I (for instance) am considered unethical by you (I climbed Everest with oxygen) but at least you don't condemn me. That really makes me feel a lot better!

Why is specifically use of oxygen unethical in your view?

Ron

• Mountaineer
« Reply #9 on: Aug 31 2004, 12:38 »

O2 is always a big discussion. :-\.....some say its like doping/drugs in the olympics..and I tend to agree on that.
Sure making the summit with O2 is still a challange and by and all means i won't condem anybody for. You were there on the summit pysicly ..but not really on 8850m altitude

unethical is not the right word maybe....i think its not really sportsmanlike to do it with O2 (i was there this spring, without)
« Last Edit: Aug 31 2004, 12:42 by Ron »

trunl

« Reply #10 on: Sep 1 2004, 04:27 »

i totally agree with and support ron here.

trunl

Alan

Re: Kili Tour Info
« Reply #11 on: Sep 11 2004, 10:31 »

I hiked up K'jo with Zara travel this June.  We found them on the web. I would rate our party of 5's experience very good.  We all summited via the Machame route and back down with no problems at all. One nice feature, our party enjoyed a dining tent which made for very comfortable evening gatherings.

Zara's prices are at the high end of bargain basement.  They also offer safaris. I don't think they offer complete packages with air included, but you likely save by splitting.

K'jo isn't that demanding equipment wise.  Good boots, warm clothes, and warm sleeping bag are all you need.  Going down is hard on the knees so you may want poles.  And leave the pulse-oximeter behind.  Zara provides an equipment list on the web sight.  There is no technical climbing involved so don't expect to need any really rugged equipment.

Alan

flavourflav

« Reply #12 on: Sep 12 2004, 16:26 »

i totally agree with and support ron here.

trunl

I have no problem with doping/drugs in the olympics AS LONG AS the doping is freely available to all participants AND it is not detrimental to a persons health. Similarly, I have no problem with people using o2... or eating power bars... or wearing modern mountaineering clothing instead of going naked, etc.

To call it unethical as trunl did is ridiculous and does not match his other statement that he would be going 'handicapped' because without oxygen. Either it is unethical and then going without oxygen is NOT handicapped or it is NOT unethical and then indeed you'd go handicapped.

Besides... isn't getting sponsors also 'unethical' then? After all, you should be doing it ALL by yourself, right?

Ron

• Mountaineer
« Reply #13 on: Sep 12 2004, 20:21 »

Thats the badest comment i saw in a long time. not thought over with no good arguments.
I agree much that Trunl's initial reply was over the top...but your comment and comperesants are totally out of proportions. And if the olympic commet is really a load of poo poo

trunl

« Reply #14 on: Sep 12 2004, 21:37 »

when i said handicapped, i meant without certain advantages such as oxygen. why can it not be a handicapp and unethical. just wondering.... cause maybe im missing something here....

trunl

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
« Reply #15 on: Oct 6 2004, 15:39 »

I saw the IMAX picture of David Breadshears when I was in Canada and only after 5 minutes I wanted to do that as well. I really want to climb kili, but I have some 'demands'. I would like to climb via the western breach route and not to climb in the middle of the night to the summit. (what's the fun in that?). I'd like to camp in the crater and climb the summit not so early in the morning...
The only touroperator I could find who offers such a trip is www.go-kili.com. They have a beautiful website and answer my questions very quickly. Only problem is that they are quite expensive. Does anybody have experience with them?

Another thing is gear. I never would have guessed that it would be that expensive. I stumbled across a website (which has an add on thit site) who offers incredible discounts. www.mbstores.com. Is this legit?

Marlous

Hi Marlous,

first of all, 7summits.com offers the same trip for a much better price  8)

http://7summits.com/kilimanjaro/shira-breach.php

secondly, do not skimp on gear, even if you only climb one mountain. If you were to take only one flight in your life, would you use a cotton balloon rather than a boeing 747?

Cheap clothing on the site you mentioned seems like last years models which are perfectly good as fast as I can see. So unless you want the latest models go for it..

"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Mari

• Hiker
  • Altitude: 39
  • Am I supposed to write something here? :)
« Reply #16 on: Oct 25 2004, 14:45 »

Never ever save money on footwear or gloves unless you want to lose your fingers or toes...
Altitude record 6654m. Next summer (2011) will try to up that to 7546m..
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 23 queries.