7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dutch fall Everest - it's a full house towards North  (Read 3661 times)

trunl

heres an update on harry expedition
the article is from www.mounteverest.net

Dutch fall Everest - it's a full house towards North

The fall Dutch Everest expedition is en route to the mountain and it's a full house. The expedition leader, Werner de Jong, sent word to ExplorersWeb that the team is complete with his friend Marc Streefkerk. "He is actually going with us, because we could solve his private problem. Everything is clear and its good to be seven again."

In preparation for Everest, Werner and Marc, went to Mont Blanc for some training. Another member of the Dutch Everest team, Harry Kikstra of 7summits.com, has spent this summer on Chogolisa to prepare for Everest.

Last year there were only two Everest expeditions in the fall, Berg’s South Side and Stephen Koch’s snowboard effort on the North. Both teams, especially Stephens, encountered problems with deep snow.

This doesn’t seem to faze Dutch expedition leader: "We decided to do Everest in the fall because we want to do everything by ourselves, like in old days. And we’d also like to be the first Dutchman to summit in that period. We think that it is possible to do it.

"It all depends on the weather, really. We will take snowshoes for the trek to ABC because we expect lots of snow after the monsoon. Another reason for climbing in the fall is our jobs. It is not possible for everyone to get time off in the spring.

I must say that we could not get any climbers in the beginning, because everyone told us it is to difficult in fall and we are crazy to do it. That motivated me even more to go in fall. I want to see for myself if it’s possible and take the challenge. "

Werner and his team of 7 will be leaving this August 15th for Nepal and plan to drive the Friendship Highway from Kathmandu into Tibet and on to Base Camp. Expedition members: Werner de Jong (leader), Mark Thijssen, Marc Streefkerk, Boris Krielen, Harry Kikstra, Sander Arens, and Ruby Arens-Halfschepel (Base Camp Manager.)

Ron

• Mountaineer
  • Altitude: -1
  • Adapt,improvise and overcome!
Re: Dutch fall Everest - it's a full house towards North
« Reply #1 on: Aug 12 2004, 12:30 »

Go harry, Go Harry, Go Harry    ;D

Corsair

• Scrambler
  • Altitude: -2
Re: Dutch fall Everest - it's a full house towards North
« Reply #2 on: Aug 13 2004, 05:04 »

:D
lots of good luck to you all up there on the top of the world!

C
To die? No, I climbed up there to LIVE!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 22 queries.