7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: new to scene - any help appreciated  (Read 6321 times)

ruggerchic13

• Armchair...
  • Altitude: 0
  • FIND THE STRENGTH YOU NEVER KNEW YOU HAD
new to scene - any help appreciated
« on: Aug 13 2004, 08:29 »

I'm 16 years old and new to the scene of mountain climbing.  For years I've loved rock climbing, horse packing/riding, whitewater rafting, kayaking...everything.  I'd love to get more into climbing and was wondering what I should do - fitness, where, when, how and the sorts.  I live in Pennsylvania if it helps.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Molly
"It's not making it to the top that's important; it's living long enough to get down to tell about it."

Ron

• Mountaineer
  • Altitude: -1
  • Adapt,improvise and overcome!
Re: new to scene - any help appreciated
« Reply #1 on: Aug 13 2004, 12:37 »

I think rock climbing is a good background for alpinism. You just need to get working on rope handling technieks and general fitness/endurance.
Fitness for strengh and being able to carry the bigger loads in your backback, and endurance for the long trips in the high mountains or multiple ropelength routes.
To learn how to make belay's and placements, about the dangers in the high mountains, the weather it is advisible to follow some courses at the alpine club or hook up to an experianced mountaineer.
Dont know about the possibility's in Pennsylvania b/c i live in europe ;)

trunl

« Reply #2 on: Aug 13 2004, 23:01 »

get sponsorships and aim at higher goals.

trunl

ruggerchic13

• Armchair...
« Reply #3 on: Aug 13 2004, 23:37 »

Thank you both so much.  I'll keep up with my climbing and start looking for a club.
Again, thanks!

Molly
"It's not making it to the top that's important; it's living long enough to get down to tell about it."

tanner

• Hiker
  • Follow Your Dreams!
    • SURF2SUMMIT
« Reply #4 on: Aug 14 2004, 22:58 »

Its so wonderful starting to see more kids starting to get into climbing. I'm 16 as well, and live in sorthern california. I was on Denali this year for my third (and successful) attempt and saw two people my age up there. They were all from places that generally do not see mountaineers (another southern californian and a guy from indiana). We all found our own ways to train for climbing a cold and fierce mountain (in three expeditions, I have spent a total of two and a half weeks tentbound). I would reccomend joining a climbing gym for fitness, but get outside more to either climb or cross train. San Diego doesnt have great climbing, so I surf for fitness and use the cliffs by the beach to practice rescue and fixed line techniques. You will find venturing into the mountains, that they are magical places that very few people can appreciate, and that all the hard work preparing pays off. I wish you best of luck getting into this awesome sport,
Tanner                              www.surf2summit.net

wazza

« Reply #5 on: Aug 15 2004, 18:01 »

get sponsorships and aim at higher goals.

trunl

Reading a lot of your posts, it seems that you are not in it for the love of the mountains but simply to "get a record" and have other people pay for your ride.

Ron

• Mountaineer
  • Altitude: -1
  • Adapt,improvise and overcome!
« Reply #6 on: Aug 16 2004, 01:04 »

Hey tanner very nice site you have ...cowabunga m8

ruggerchic13

• Armchair...
« Reply #7 on: Aug 20 2004, 21:21 »

Hey Tanner,
Thanks for the advice. I checked out your website - it's great that your dad took you out to climb.  Mine prefers to watch me go up and worry.  :) That's okay though.  I read that your training involves a lot of cross training outdoors. I'd really like to know just exactly what you do to train yourself. I usually end up going whitewater rafting with the family and bouldering (free-climbing) along side the river at stops.

Molly

tanner

• Hiker
  • Follow Your Dreams!
    • SURF2SUMMIT
« Reply #8 on: Aug 22 2004, 00:28 »

Molly,
It seems like your on the right start as far as cross training. I have a very short attention span when it comes to working out, so I just do a lot of what I find fun each day. Recently, I've been getting up at 6, and going surfing for two hours (depending on the size of the waves, it can be tiring paddeling out through the waves), playing waterpolo for two hours (very strenuous), going back to the beach and swimming (very good for getting your lungs in shape for heavy breathing at high altitude), and then walking hills at night (so no one can see how weird I look with a huge 80 lb pack and big yellow boots) with friends. If you can find anyone to workout with, its a big help. I have a group of friends who would never go into the mountains, but walk with packs at night for overall fitness. The hardest thing to do is to keep a detailed workout schedule and stick to it, so just have fun doing other things (make sure you're tired by the end of the day though), and you'll soon realize that the mountains are within your reach without even entering a gym,
Tanner

ruggerchic13

• Armchair...
« Reply #9 on: Aug 22 2004, 08:38 »

Alright...so it's all agreed that rockclimbing, whitewater rafting, swimming, running, hiking/backpacking and the occasional gym training is a good way to go in training for a more advanced type climbing? That shouldn't be to hard considering I already do all these things. Ok...thank you all so much!

Molly
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.