7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: People purely focussed on completing 'lists' are wankers!  (Read 7414 times)

wazza

People purely focussed on completing lists such as:
- 7 summits
- 14 8000ers
- 3 poles

are wankers!

They are not true mountaineers for true mountaineers are in it for the love of all mountains and the challenge of many of them. Although it can be challenging to achieve above mentioned lists of mountains, a true mountaineer will just as much love to climb a lesser known (but perhaps much more beautiful and/or much more challenging mountain). Also, climbing a mountain like Everest should be a crown on a long mountaineering 'career' and not some quick achievement by somebody who walked up several of the other 7 summits.

Poll: agree / disagree?

Ron

• Mountaineer
  • Altitude: -1
  • Adapt,improvise and overcome!

In my opinion the best climber is the 1 with the most fun...not one who completes some list...but if people want to do that than thats fine by me and i respect them for having a goal and working for that goal.

Although the 7 summits would not be my goal (i rather climb hard and technical) i respect people who follow that dream....a lot more then i respect people who do not respect others and calling them names.... ::)

Best to keep respecting eachothers and your destiny or standards dont have to be others also...thats why we are different people (luckely)

« Last Edit: Nov 2 2004, 13:50 by 7summits »

Peter

• Armchair...
  • Altitude: 9
  • I am too lazy too change this text!

Trunl,

relax, some people are trying to piss you off and they seem to be succeeding...
Let them talk their dirt and don't respond. That's the best...

Keep your climbing dream alive!  :)

trunl

good, simple advice. i praise you for your simple solutions, peter!

trunl

Sandy

I don't really understand the snobbery that goes with climbing but I suppose this is evident in all sports. There are some who are 'better' climbers than others and they like to say how it should be done and when and by whom. In my opinion everyone is entitled to their dreams, be it the seven summits or all 14 8000ers or whatever. Whatever name you want to give it. These are just goals and dreams and for some, a very great achievement. there's nothing to say that people who complete the 7 summits don't do so out of love for climbing mountains and there's nothing to say they don't climb other lesser known and beautiful mountains too. When I see messages posted calling people names because of their goals or what they like to do it really bothers me. It's a side to mountaineering I wasn't aware of in the beginning and it's the one thing that makes me lose confidence in the sport. I'm just a beginner myself and I have no planns to climb an 8000er until I am good and ready...if that day ever comes. So lets try and be more supportive to one another and try not to belittle other people's dreams.

Peter

• Armchair...
  • Altitude: 9
  • I am too lazy too change this text!

good, simple advice. i praise you for your simple solutions, peter!

trunl

you're welcome....trunl.

simple advice is always the best... O0

MoT

• Climber
  • Altitude: 8
    • TightropeNET

Anyway, back to the debate! (Ahem!)

I actually disagree with the topic here - I would be interested in, for example, the 7 summits, the Munroes amongst others. It doesn't mean I have no interest in the small peaks - I still think that the 12 Bens in Connemara in Ireland have some of the most enjoyable climbs i've ever experienced (especially if you do them all in one 12 hour push) and none of these is more than 700m high.

I think every mountaineer has his or her 'tick list'. If we didn't have goals, what would be the point?

Regarding Everest as the crown of a career - i kind of agree/disagree on that one. There are harder mountains than Everest in he world... (or so I hear...)  :_[
« Last Edit: Aug 28 2004, 16:44 by MoT »

trunl

for example k2 magic line, repeated for the first time this year.

Ron

• Mountaineer
  • Altitude: -1
  • Adapt,improvise and overcome!

maybe my next climb...Matterhorn north face ;D

MoT

• Climber
  • Altitude: 8
    • TightropeNET

I had trouble climbing the stairs last night - something to do with an AWFUL amount of Guinness!  ;D After surviving that, I could tackle ANYTHING! Even the Mazeno ridge!  >:D

MikeW

• Climber
  • Altitude: 13
  • To be is to climb!
Re: People purely focussed on completing 'lists' are wankers!
« Reply #10 on: Sep 24 2004, 20:31 »

Hey I understand you MoT, the most difficult part of my Elbrus trip this summer was the celebration dinner after summiting (you know russian vodka!!!)  ;D

MikeW
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 23 queries.