7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wednesday 1 September, ABC, 6400m  (Read 4150 times)

Ron

• Mountaineer
  • Altitude: -1
  • Adapt,improvise and overcome!
Wednesday 1 September, ABC, 6400m
« on: Sep 4 2004, 19:24 »

Today should be a rest day for Mark and me, but there is a lot to do!

First we have to put up the dining tent, a large double walled tent with tables and chairs.

Next we will create tent spots for everybody,which means flattening out a lot of rocky places. Last spring there were dozens of expeditions stationed here, but now no single place is ready for use, the glacier seems to have been quite active in destroying camp the last 3 months...

The thin air is noticable, after each movement we have to sit and breath until we are relaxed enough to move another rock.. The sherpas are stronger but they also need much rest.

Only Furba, the cook, does not seem to improve. He is in his tent all day and has a major headache. Mark seems quite strong, he puts up more tents than me, I have to relax much more. But that's ok, it's our first day at this altitude and we are not doing bad at all!

At the end of the day all tents are ready when Werner calls:

'Where are you? Where is ABC?'

He is calling from the same crevasse where Mark T bivvied and is coming up with Marc Streefkerk. Mark & I go down to pick them up. After descending only 100m we see them on the side of the ridge, struggling through the icefield, not looking happy. We go down to them and point them towards the track.

'We could not find the camp and were not sure if we had missed it',Werner explains, 'We could not find the way across this crevasse, so we chopped some ice and went here.'

We try to take over their packs, but: 'We have come this &*%$ long way, now we will finish it!'

It great to be with 4 people again, Sander and Ruby had started with Werner and Marc, but felt weak right after the start and returned for another resting day at IC.

We do not know if they come up tomorrow, if so then only Boris is missing from the team in ABC!

(Song of the day: Rammstein: Du Hast. As ABC was much too peaceful before we found this on the Matrix soundtrack)

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 22 queries.