7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: EXPEDITION ABORTED!  (Read 10999 times)

trunl

EXPEDITION ABORTED!
« on: Sep 22 2004, 06:13 »

according to www.mounteverest.net

here's the story:

Everest North: Why we quit

Sep 21, 2004 13: 01 EST
It's not easy to be the only Everest expedition, with the solitary task of fixing rope and organizing logistics. Here are some details from Werner, this years lonely Everest North side expedition leader:

"The attempt is aborted. Yes you read it right. As you know, Marc and Mark left already. Moreover several people have had physical complaints. In fact only Harry and I were fit to do a summit attempt.

Last we were on 7000 meters. The difficult steep climb between 6400 meters to 7000 went good. That of course makes the aborted expedition especially sour.

On 7000 meters a discussion with the sherpas arose. There was too little rope and the sherpas considered the circumstances too dangerous climb. Last week they had a close call when an avalanche came down. Now they wouldn't advance. Perhaps this a wise decision, considering all circumstances, but we are of course terribly fed up!"

Saturday Werner will write an extended report from an internet cafe in Katmandu. The group will return to the Netherlands probably next week already. Today there were also problems with the yak drivers. Those yak drivers have stolen a pocket knife, solar panel, an oxygen bottle, pots, pans, etc. Werner told them to either give the stuff back, or face a report to the Chinese police. "Almost everything has been against us. But it's good that the entire team now returns safe."

trunl

Ron

• Mountaineer
  • Altitude: -1
  • Adapt,improvise and overcome!
Re: EXPEDITION ABORTED!
« Reply #1 on: Sep 22 2004, 12:47 »

Yup , i spoke to Marian last week and saw thsi coming. :'(

MoT

• Climber
  • Altitude: 8
    • TightropeNET
« Reply #2 on: Sep 22 2004, 17:41 »

Ah crap...   >:(

Bad luck guys. Really sorry to hear that after all the hard work.

Buddha

• Climber
  • Altitude: 17
« Reply #3 on: Sep 22 2004, 19:55 »

Respect

Corsair

• Scrambler
  • Altitude: -2
« Reply #4 on: Sep 23 2004, 04:05 »

A real shame  :(
And also a shame that history repeats itself again and again. I have not met one single exp. member in that area who hasn't gotten something stolen from those yak-drivers.

You'll make it next time Harry!
To die? No, I climbed up there to LIVE!

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
« Reply #5 on: Sep 26 2004, 18:39 »

Hi All you armchair mountaineers!

I am back in Kathmandu. which means, yes, the expedition is canceled  :P
I do not have much time right now, but will try to write a full report of my side of the story tomorrow.

Let me tell you for now that I am very dissappointed  :'( I have slept at 7500m without problems or oxygen, ate well there and was ready to go higher. The decision to abort was made without me being there (as I was at 7500m, alone) and I did not agree with the reasoning.
There were problems with Yaks, ropes, Sherpas and for some members physical and mental problems.
But as said, I will try to get online for a few hours tomorrow and share the full story.

Many lessons learned, anyone for Spring 2004 for Everest?

The next days we have to sort out the cargo shipping, and the return flights to Amsterdam as our original flight schedule was 15t october. So we do not know if we have to stay here a few days, a week or longer.

All the best wishes so far and thanks for your support,

Harry
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

sidney

« Reply #6 on: Sep 26 2004, 23:06 »

Damned! Harry, ik ben trots op je poging! Volgende keer beter, ik ben blij dat je veilig beneden bent. Ook de RBWMF gaat er aan!

Gr. Sidney

bassie

• Armchair...
  • Altitude: 0
  • I am too lazy too change this text!
« Reply #7 on: Sep 27 2004, 02:28 »

Ha Harry,

blij weer te horen dat je veilig beneden bent! Respect voor de poging, natuurlijk teleurstelling dat het zo afloopt, maar weet zeker dat je de top nog gaat bereiken! Geniet zo lang mogelijk van de bergen, voordat je weer naar ons herfstige vlakke landje terugkomt!

Hoop je snel te zien vriend!

Bas

Buddha

• Climber
  • Altitude: 17
« Reply #8 on: Sep 27 2004, 02:44 »

Since I love Dutch but don't understand a word of it I thought I would translate the previous 2 submissions so that everyone can get a sense of what they were writing to Harry. Please note that this translation is not made by me but by the marvelous Systran.

First submission:
Damned! Harry, I am proud on your attempt! Next time improves, I am glad that you are safely downstairs. Also the RBWMF go there to! Gr. Sidney

Second submission:
Hi Harry, gladly that to hear you are downstairs! Respect for the attempt, of course vexation that it expires this way, but weet certainly that you will reach the top still! Enjoys as long as possible the mounts, before you return to our herfstige flat landje! Hope you rapidly see friend! Bass

Romke

• The Wireless Biker
  • Administrator
  • Scrambler
  • Altitude: 1
  • Werr's me armchair?
    • All things Romke
« Reply #9 on: Sep 30 2004, 03:05 »

That doesn't make a lot of sense, does it? I think we better put it back into Dutch, here you go, both from Sidney and Baarzen  ;D

Eerste voorlegging:
Vervloekt! Harry, ben ik trots op uw poging! De volgende tijd verbetert, ben ik blij dat u veilig beneden bent. Ook gaat RBWMF daar aan! Gr. Sidney

Tweede voorlegging:
Hallo Harry, graag dat om te horen u beneden bent! Eerbied voor de poging, natuurlijk vexation dat het deze manier verloopt, maar weet zeker dat u de bovenkant nog zult bereiken! Geniet zo lang mogelijk van de onderstellen, alvorens u op onze herfstige vlakke landje terugkomt! De hoop u ziet snel vriend! Baarzen

I'm happy to learn that Harry's up to fulfilling his dreams. If not this year, then certainly next. And most of all, he's safely coming back home pretty soon! Still too bad ... ah  >:( it...

trunl

« Reply #10 on: Sep 30 2004, 04:39 »

ahh much bettter.......

trunl
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 23 queries.