7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: June/July 2005  (Read 72017 times)

Buddha

• Climber
  • Altitude: 17
June/July 2005
« on: Sep 30 2004, 03:35 »

It would be great to meet up with some people from this forum and take on Mt. Elbrus.

I have a suggestion. We use Pilgrim Tours as operator, the same as 7summits use for their trips. The only difference is that we do it ourselves, after all isnät that a part of the pleasure? I don't want to ride a skilift more then half-way up the mountain...

Their lite package is roughtly 100 Euros = approx. 120 USD. The price is dependant on the number of members in the team...

We go to Moscow and meet up there. Stay in a hotel for 1 night before we go off to MinVody. The internal flight is about $200 USD, we use the service for transport to MSD Lodge and stay there for a night before we start working ourselves up the mountain. Stay in tents and cook our own meals and everything...

I haven't done any real calculations but I think the trip would cost about $500 excluding airfare to and from Moscow to your destination...

Trunl, this is a great chance for you mate.

I've checked out the prices for you for airfare from Texas to Moscow, return flight with LuftHansa.

Route
Austin, TX - BERGSTROM INTL. (AUS) > Chicago - O'Hare International (ORD) > Frankfurt/Main International (FRA) > Moscow - Sheremetyevo (SVO) > Frankfurt/Main International (FRA) > Chicago - O'Hare International (ORD) > Austin, TX - BERGSTROM INTL. (AUS) 

Price is approx. $1055

I would love to have you with the "expedition".

Hopefully some more members on this forum will be interested in joining!

« Last Edit: Sep 30 2004, 03:37 by Buddha »

trunl

Re: June/July 2005
« Reply #1 on: Sep 30 2004, 04:43 »

id love to but my parents would not let me unless they got to meet with you first.... and i doubt that....

if you can come to texas and meet my parents, i would be glad to. i would work really hard to your rough estimate of $2000 all by myself.

trunl

trunl

« Reply #2 on: Sep 30 2004, 04:45 »

*earn your rough estimate.....

i forgot the word earn.

trunl

trunl

« Reply #3 on: Sep 30 2004, 04:47 »

if you can make it June/July 2007, ill be in.  ;D ;D (ill be 18).

(ill now stop posting  ::) ::))

trunl

Buddha

• Climber
« Reply #4 on: Sep 30 2004, 04:55 »

Arf, 2007  :o  :o  :o

Actually I wouldn't mind going back there then either but I am going next summer... Don't want to plan for 2007 though, at least not a mountain I will most likely have summited by then.

And, actually the estimate is $1500-1600 total, not $2000...

Sorry to say that I can't see myself going to Austin to meet your parents though... I'm not made of money  ;)

tanner

• Hiker
  • Altitude: 0
  • Follow Your Dreams!
    • SURF2SUMMIT
« Reply #5 on: Sep 30 2004, 07:40 »

I'd love to go....my dad and I were talking at dinner last night about where to go before I leave for college. Elbrus was one of the ones that come up. Just have to find a second job and we'll be up for it (my dad and I). $2,000 isn't too much money to save up

Buddha

• Climber
« Reply #6 on: Sep 30 2004, 09:09 »

That sounds great! Anyone else? Maybe some of the hardcore mountaineers like Ron or Harry?  O0

Daisy

• Scrambler
  • Altitude: -23
« Reply #7 on: Sep 30 2004, 15:55 »

Hello Trunl,

maybe it wouldn't be necessary for Buddha to go all the way to Texas. Maybe your parents could communicate with him by phone / email / video conference! something...write letters, send pictures. There should be a way in this day and age without having to travel 1000s of miles...maybe one (or two) of your family could even travel to Russia with you - not to climb but they could at least wait on in Moscow or somewhere near the mountain while you're climbing. Just a thought. I think it would be a great experience for you and a good opportunity to meet others who share your passion. You are really lucky that you discovered mountaineering so early in your life (unlike me who is 30 and suffering from bad knees  ;) ), you have so many opportunities ahead of you and lots of time so don't even worry if you can't make it to Elbrus this time.

Good luck, I hope it works out. Where there's a will theres a way!
“Today, it is still not hard to find a man who will adventure for the sake of a dream or one who will search, for the pleasure of searching, and not for what he may find.”
                        Sir Edmund Hillary

Corsair

• Scrambler
  • Altitude: -2
« Reply #8 on: Sep 30 2004, 19:03 »

Good idea Buddha, to meet some fellow persons from the 7summits forum in Caucasus. I'll be in the area in June/July next year, even though I probably wont climb Elbrus. Once is enough. My main objectives are Donguz Orun (next door to Elbrus) and some peaks in the Bezengi area. Possibly also a peak in Adil Su valley - Djan Tugan.
The peaks there are excellent for acclimatization for Elbrus btw.

Let's keep in contact and maybe we can have a dinner or camp together over there in beautiful Caucasus. Always interesting to see who you guys are "live".
 ;)
To die? No, I climbed up there to LIVE!

Tjaldor

« Reply #9 on: Sep 30 2004, 19:24 »

Always interesting to see who you guys are "live".
 ;)

Had been funny if it turned out that everyone was 30-40 kg over their match-weight :_[ and no-one knew upside down on their newly bought climbing equiptment ;D

MikeW

• Climber
  • Altitude: 13
  • To be is to climb!
« Reply #10 on: Sep 30 2004, 21:59 »

Sorry guys, I just climbed and summited Elbrus this summer (it was really a blast!), and I was with Pilgrim Tours. They are a good group of people. Have some fun while in the Caucasus, those mountains are beautiful (don't drink too much vodka, trust me! ;D)

By the way, I'm going to Aconcagua this January, anyone interested!!!

MikeW

Daisy

• Scrambler
« Reply #11 on: Sep 30 2004, 22:30 »

Hi Mike,

When in January are you going? I will be on Aconcagua in January, arriving on the 27th December so may see you there!

I will try to get time off work for Elbrus lads so please keep me posted...

“Today, it is still not hard to find a man who will adventure for the sake of a dream or one who will search, for the pleasure of searching, and not for what he may find.”
                        Sir Edmund Hillary

MikeW

• Climber
  • Altitude: 13
  • To be is to climb!
« Reply #12 on: Oct 1 2004, 01:24 »

Hi Daisy!

I'll be on Aconcagua from January 9 for 3 weeks. Tell me what company you are using so I'll try to spot you. I don't yet know with whom I'll be going.

MikeW

Ron

• Mountaineer
  • Altitude: -1
  • Adapt,improvise and overcome!
« Reply #13 on: Oct 1 2004, 02:03 »

Hey peeps,

Mt elbrus sounds interesting but only on ski to (and powder) :P
Ill think about it

How our these nearby mountains Corsair, any hard climbing?
« Last Edit: Oct 1 2004, 02:05 by Ron »

mattyl

« Reply #14 on: Oct 1 2004, 03:00 »

elbrus sounds good, you can probably count me in im heading there next summer anyway. just got back from a winter ascent of aconcagua and am desperate to get out on another expedition

MoT

• Climber
  • Altitude: 8
    • TightropeNET
« Reply #15 on: Oct 1 2004, 03:38 »

Hey MikeW!

I'm also going to be over there in January - probably starting December 30th or 31st! I'm part of an Irish group of five (unguided). Going via the Vacas Valley approach...

Might see you there!

(You too Daisy  :P )

But back to the point - I'm looking at possibly climbing Elbrus next June via the Southwest Shoulder approach - was going to do it this year but hadn't the funds. Anyone interested in this one? Bear in mind it's across glaciers with plenty of crevasse risk low down and quite an isolated route - you have to bring all your supplies, tents, ropes, ice screws etc... Just an idea I'm playing with. I mightn't get the time off work anyway!
« Last Edit: Oct 1 2004, 03:41 by MoT »

Corsair

• Scrambler
  • Altitude: -2
« Reply #16 on: Oct 1 2004, 05:18 »

Ron,

Djan Tugan is easy. Beautiful peak! I was going for it this summer but there was an accident at the foot of the peak. A Polish climber fell into a crevasse, broke both legs and got skull injuries. Had to help out a bit and after that incident, I somehow lost the inspiration of climbing the peak. Went for another one instead - Uyatay.
http://mountains.tos.ru/kopylov/pict/g46.gif

Donguz Orun.
I don't know much about the peak, it just looks nice from a distance. I can imagine it's a lot of risk involved climbing some of the routes in summer.
http://mountains.tos.ru/kopylov/pict/g39.gif

Bezengi.
All mountains there are hard. I would like to give Dychtau a go, but that is for sure on the limit of what I'm capable of. Koshtan is another interesting mountain.
Misses Tau is a favorite, but this summer it was constantly plagued by avalanches. Only dared to try out the first icefall and then i turned back.
http://mountains.tos.ru/kopylov/pict/migirg11.gif

Do you plan to head over for the Caucasus?
If everything goes according to the plan I have atm, I would like to hang around in the area for 4-6 weeks.
A great place, especially Bezengi!
To die? No, I climbed up there to LIVE!

tanner

• Hiker
  • Altitude: 0
  • Follow Your Dreams!
    • SURF2SUMMIT
« Reply #17 on: Oct 1 2004, 09:17 »

speaking of the skiing....how hard is elbrus to descend on ski's? That would be a fun way down  :)

Daisy

• Scrambler
« Reply #18 on: Oct 1 2004, 14:24 »

Hi MikeW

I will be going to Aconcagua with the Irish 7 Summits team so I think it will be hard to miss us...no doubt someone will be flying the flag! We'll be taking the Vacas route so hopefully we will meet up with MoT and his team too.

By the way MoT, how did the Bens go on Sunday? the knee feels sightly better so I hope to be able to head out with you and the lads soon. Getting really fed up of sitting it out here  :'(
                        Sir Edmund Hillary

MoT

• Climber
  • Altitude: 8
    • TightropeNET
« Reply #19 on: Oct 1 2004, 18:01 »

Hey Daisy, we had to abort the twelve bens climb last sunday after 1 or 2 hours - dreadful conditions...  :(
« Last Edit: Oct 1 2004, 20:40 by MoT »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 23 queries.