7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Young Australian (13y) summits Elbrus in seven summits quest  (Read 3217 times)

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages

The Highest Boy In Europe

The 12th September saw school boy Christopher Harris stand atop Europe’s highest mountain, Mt Elbrus, 5642 metres, in the Caucas mountain range of Russia, around 150 kilometres from the site of the recent horrific massacre in Beslam.

Christopher’s climb of Mt Elbrus, the youngest known ascent of the mountain by an Australian, was achieved in unseasonally cold conditions, an ambient temperature of minus twenty degrees Celsius, was made even more extreme by a considerable wind chill factor of at least minus forty degrees Celsius. It was so cold that Christopher found it impossible to remove his gloves, even to eat, making the climb even more difficult because of a lack of any calories to produce energy.

His accompanying cameraman, who had to remove his gloves to film, suffered frostbite to four of his fingers and his thumb. Christopher’s climb had been put in jeopardy by impossible weather conditions in the days leading up to the ascent. This combined with the delayed arrival of his climbing equipment, meant he was forced to carry out acclimatization walks in the lightweight trousers he left Sydney Airport in, shrugging of the bitter cold knowing that with out acclimatization walks, any attempt would fail!

Christopher reached the summit of Mt Elbrus at 1.50PM on 12th September accompanied by his father Richard Harris and cameraman Michael Dillon.
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

MikeW

• Climber
  • Altitude: 13
  • To be is to climb!

Great view!!! ;D

I could see about 2 feet in front of me when I was in the same spot. I couldn't even see the drop.

I hope I was at the good place  :o ::)

MikeW
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 23 queries.