7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: High-altitude eating  (Read 3382 times)

Daisy

• Scrambler
  • Altitude: -23
High-altitude eating
« on: Oct 6 2004, 14:54 »

This might not be anything new to most of you but it is an interesting article..

http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0319.htm

“Today, it is still not hard to find a man who will adventure for the sake of a dream or one who will search, for the pleasure of searching, and not for what he may find.”
                        Sir Edmund Hillary

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
Re: High-altitude eating
« Reply #1 on: Oct 6 2004, 15:16 »

Thanks Daisy, this is a very good overview of High Altitude nutrition basics and I can recommend all to read it.

I lost 10kgs the last 3 months (of which I was mostly above 5000m) but if I had not eaten soo much extra food and taken protein, I would have lost much more (I practically lost nothing on Everest actually).

You have to mentally prepare to eat a LOT, whether you like the food or not. Also full rest days or weeks are not a good idea IMHO; keep on doing stuff, hiking, carrying etc. It will keep you fitter than having too many 'rest days'.

Keep climbing,
Harry
 O0
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Daisy

• Scrambler
  • Altitude: -23
Re: High-altitude eating
« Reply #2 on: Oct 6 2004, 17:08 »

Would you believe I put on about 10lbs during my 6 weeks at Everest Base Camp. I was pretty slight going over there and everyone said I would fade away. Well, while the lads were too ill to eat anything other than white rice I was having chili eating contests with our sherpas....so don't be fooled by appearances. You never know how things will affect you at altitude!
“Today, it is still not hard to find a man who will adventure for the sake of a dream or one who will search, for the pleasure of searching, and not for what he may find.”
                        Sir Edmund Hillary
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 22 queries.