7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Aconcagua boots (and Everest training)  (Read 27420 times)

MaYhEm

• Hiker
  • Altitude: 0
  • Summit Bound!
Re:Aconcagua
« Reply #20 on: Dec 9 2003, 07:27 »

trunl,

I was just curious.  Mcd's in Nairobi that should be interesting.  How'd you swing that sponsorship?

M1keey

• Armchair...
  • Altitude: 0
« Reply #21 on: Dec 9 2003, 19:59 »

Trunl, I've saved money from every x-mas and have been picking up the coins off the floor of 7/11 for the last 18 years and am still having to get a job to afford some of the trips I'm planning.   :-\ But hey, sounds like you have good $ management skills.   ;D  

Ron

• Mountaineer
  • Altitude: -1
  • Adapt,improvise and overcome!
« Reply #22 on: Dec 10 2003, 01:02 »

lol right....o and Trunl......YES   but not only hint  ;D

trunl

« Reply #23 on: Dec 10 2003, 07:30 »

more sarcasm??????  :o :o :o

trunl

« Reply #24 on: Dec 10 2003, 07:34 »

forgot to say how i got sponsorship. i heard the question somewhere up there. heres how: i asked a guy on a forum, and he said mcdonalds was opening a restaurant in kenya and they might be interested, so i wrote to mcdonalds, and told them my plans, workout schedule and the media attention they would be getting. then i had an interview with a person, and they agreed to sponsor me for $3500.

MoT

• Climber
  • Altitude: 8
    • TightropeNET
« Reply #25 on: Dec 10 2003, 20:45 »

I think we need a troll forum here... C'mon guys I believe the post was looking for advice, not bravado. Although for the record I didn't make any climbing plans before age 22 and I've done ok...  ;D

trunl

« Reply #26 on: Dec 13 2003, 08:10 »

troll forum?

Buddha

• Climber
  • Altitude: 17
Re: Aconcagua boots
« Reply #27 on: Oct 11 2004, 05:50 »

That would be a forum where you post Trunl. Since you are a Troll.

This is the first time I read this topic though and it got me thinking. If you got sponsorship from McDonald's then why not tag along to Elbrus next year? You said yourself that money was the big issue along getting your parents acceptance to travel outside the US! C'mon... you've been sitting around in the trailor park for 15 years now!  >:D

Ohh, and by the way, I think 3 miles is way low. I run about 7 miles every saturday and sunday with a 18 kilo backpack on and I still wouldn't dream about taking on Everest as of yet...

Ron

• Mountaineer
  • Altitude: -1
  • Adapt,improvise and overcome!
« Reply #28 on: Oct 11 2004, 12:42 »

My trianing for my O2less attempt om the big E

Mon 1,5 hours fitness
Thus 21 km run  (13.125 miles)
Wen indor climbing (for fun)
Thur 2 hours fitness
Fri 21 km rin
Sat nothing
Sun 60-100km ATB ride at high intensity(37.5-62.5miles)

Keep on moving people  ;D

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
« Reply #29 on: Oct 11 2004, 15:03 »

My Training for Everest this year:

Jan: climb Aconcagua & Ojos de Salados.
Feb- June: write loads of emails, work on website and hardly go outside at all...
July/August: go to Pakistan and stay above 5000m for at least 3.5 weeks
August/Sept: go to Everest.

Did I ever mention it's mostly mental training?
 O0
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Daisy

• Scrambler
  • Altitude: -23
Re: Aconcagua boots - sponsorship
« Reply #30 on: Oct 11 2004, 15:05 »

I think fundraising is MUCH harder than the actual climb and a lot more stressful. No matter what anyone says it's not easy, I'm learning the hard way!

I am hoping to climb Aconcagua and Denali this year and I am currently fundraising. Half of what I raise will go to a local charity. It's the most soul-destroying thing I've ever had to do and I have to say I've learned a lot about people in the process. The people I thought would be the most supportive are the very ones who have run a mile. Especially people I've supported in the past. So I am having a big fundraising event in my town on the 21st October. MoT, if you've nothing better to do it would be great to see you there :-)
This Thursday I have to do a presentation on my 2 months at Everest base camp and my climb of Island Peak. Honestly, no aspect of mountaineering could be as scary as standing up in front of a room full of people!! By the way, I haven't even started preparing the presentation yet....any advice anyone on how to go about it?
I haven't even had a chance to start training yet!
So my point is, you have to be fairly determined (and thick-skinned) if you want to go out there and fundraise to go climbing and it has to be really important to you. I know it will all be worth it in the end but I'm not sure I can go through this again next year! well, maybe if I actually achieve something on these mountains I could attempt to find a sponsor? who knows....So fair play to you Trunl if McDo just handed you sponsorship. I wish I was that lucky!
“Today, it is still not hard to find a man who will adventure for the sake of a dream or one who will search, for the pleasure of searching, and not for what he may find.”
                        Sir Edmund Hillary

MoT

• Climber
  • Altitude: 8
    • TightropeNET
Re: Aconcagua boots (and Everest training)
« Reply #31 on: Oct 11 2004, 18:18 »

Hey Daisy (if that IS your real name  ;) )

Might not be around on the 21st (prior engagement in Dublin [unconfirmed though])

As for Thursday, when is your presentation? Where? I might come along - no work/gig that evening...

Tom
« Last Edit: Oct 12 2004, 02:15 by MoT »

Daisy

• Scrambler
  • Altitude: -23
« Reply #32 on: Oct 11 2004, 20:13 »

Hi Tom!

By all means come along on Thursday. I will be giving the presentation at work at 10:30am, I will phone you with the details. You can be there to witness my public humiliation  :_[ . I'll try to smuggle you in past security...

Daisy happens to be my 'serious mountaineer' alias if you must know  8)
“Today, it is still not hard to find a man who will adventure for the sake of a dream or one who will search, for the pleasure of searching, and not for what he may find.”
                        Sir Edmund Hillary

MikeW

• Climber
  • Altitude: 13
  • To be is to climb!
« Reply #33 on: Oct 12 2004, 07:05 »

Hey Guys!

The easiest thing to do to finance an expedition is to find a decent paying job and career and pay for your climbing trip yourself. Sure I'll be trying to find sponsors for Everest and Vinson, but Elbrus, Kili and Aconcagua are not that expensive.

I guess my workouts are ok:

Monday: 40km of biking
Tuesday: 2.5 to 3 km of swimming
Wesnesday: 1 hour of weight training
Thursday: 2 hours of badminton
Friday: 1.5 hour of weight training and cardio
Weekend: hiking, biking, canoeing, skiing, etc...

MikeW
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 23 queries.