7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ice Climbing Boots  (Read 10013 times)

MaYhEm

• Hiker
  • Altitude: 0
  • Summit Bound!
Ice Climbing Boots
« on: Oct 14 2004, 07:31 »

Hey,

Looking to buy new boots for the ice climbing season... any suggestions??  any pro's and con's of boots you have worn would be great to help me decide.

Ron

• Mountaineer
  • Altitude: -1
  • Adapt,improvise and overcome!
Re: Ice Climbing Boots
« Reply #1 on: Oct 14 2004, 13:35 »

I have the scarpa freney ..great and also somewhat warm. It was that 1 or the a sportiva ice comp. The la sportiva ice comp is not as warm but lighter.
Fit is most important really.

MaYhEm

• Hiker
  • Summit Bound!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 14 2004, 23:02 »

ron you talking about the freney xt's right?  How warm are they?  My feet seem to get cold even in plastics.. which sucks.  heard anything good about the scarpa alpha's???

Ron

• Mountaineer
  • Altitude: -1
  • Adapt,improvise and overcome!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 17 2004, 00:48 »

Scarpa alpha is not for technical ice climbing. I presume when you say iceclimbing your talking about WI3 till WI6 or M5 and higher.

The freney i have is a very lightweight boot (model 2002). Its something like the new XT. For alpine climbs and ice climbs in the euro alps its warm enough. I think the XT is somewhat warmer and thus heavier then mine and so useble in those alpine classic or technical winter and multi day ascents. If you dont do any real tecnical WI4= or M5+ ascents you might wanna consider more alpine like boot like a la sportiva nepal extreme. (i still use my freney though in winter and on multi days. I adapt and prefer the light and technical abilities above the real thermal abilies and solve it witk lots of dry socks and supergaiters)

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
« Reply #4 on: Nov 2 2004, 15:03 »

Hey Ron, when going to the scarpa site, I noticed that under 'iceclimbing' they only mention Scarpa Alpha, while teh Freney XT's are listed with the 'mountain' categories.

What do you think? Are there any new iceclimbing boots coming soon that can be used for Scottish winterclimbing as well as waterfalls? So technical and warm/waterproof?

Thks  O0
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

MikeW

• Climber
  • Altitude: 13
  • To be is to climb!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 2 2004, 19:53 »

Hey Ron!

I use the Salomon Pro Thermic double boots and I love them but my climbing buddy can't find a pair in his size. What other boots compare with the Pro Thermic (a leather or synthetic double boots for mountaineering)? Is the La Sportiva Nepal Extreme comparable, or is it better for technical ice climbing?

Anybody with a knowledge of this can answer this question, I would appreciate!

MikeW

MaYhEm

• Hiker
  • Summit Bound!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 2 2004, 23:27 »

hey mikew, did you have a look at the Salomon Pro Ice when buying your Pro Thermics?  any verdicts on it? or anyone that knows about them

MikeW

• Climber
  • Altitude: 13
  • To be is to climb!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 3 2004, 00:57 »

Hey MaYhEm!

I looked at the Pro Ice. The sales rep told me it was a boot for technical ice climbing, not warm enough for expedition mountaineering. They also told me that it was a really good boot.

Hope Ron is still reading, we could definitely benefit from his experience! ???

MikeW
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 23 queries.