7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: (Grand)son of Tenzing & Hillary to Climb Everest together  (Read 4668 times)

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages

From Yahoo news: the grandson of Tenzing and the son of Hillary will meet at the summit of Everest!

Kin of Pioneers to Climb Everest
Tue Mar 5, 3:11 PM ET

WELLINGTON, New Zealand - Almost 50 years after the climbing pair of Hillary and Tenzing first conquered the world's tallest peak, they're preparing to climb Mount Everest again — but with a generational change.

This time the mountaineers will be New Zealander Sir Edmund Hillary's son, Peter, and Nepalese Tenzing Norgay's grandson, Tashi.
The pair will try to reach the summit next month to begin a year of celebrations marking the 50th anniversary of the 1953 climb to the top of the world.

Peter Hillary, 47, will meet Norgay's son, Jamling Tenzing Norgay, at base camp.
The younger Hillary, who made his first ascent of Everest in 1990, then will climb the southern face of the mountain from Nepal — the route his father took in 1953.
Tashi Tenzing is climbing with a Swiss expedition and taking a different route; Hillary plans to meet him on the summit.

Hillary said the climb, which would take up to three months, was a celebration of mountaineering and his father's and Tenzing's achievement.

"It's like a birthday party, and I'm not talking about my own climbing. I'm thinking about what Dad has done and also New Zealanders in that field," he said.

Hillary said his father, who is 82, was excited about the climb but wanted his son to weigh the risks.

"He wants me to be careful, and I appreciate that," he said.

Mt. Everest, at 29,028 feet, has claimed the lives of scores of climbers since the 1920s, when it became a target of mountaineers.

Tenzing Norgay died in May 1986.

Original story found here:
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20020305/ap_on_re_au_an/hillary_tenzing_1
« Last Edit: Mar 8 2002, 04:47 by 7summits »
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
Re:(Grand)son of Tenzing & Hillary to Climb Everest together
« Reply #1 on: Apr 18 2002, 13:43 »

Well, it's not just 2 sons trying to redo the climb but 3:

"My Three Sons" - As the countdown to the 50th anniversary of the first ascent of Mount Everest begins, National Geographic has announced a major expedition to the world’s highest peak that will include the sons of three of the most renowned climbers in Everest history.

In May 1953, Sir Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay were the first to summit Everest - one of the greatest achievements of their time. In 1963, National Geographic staff member Barry Bishop and four other climbers became the first Americans to make it to the top.

On Everest this May, National Geographic unites the sons of these great climbers, Peter Hillary, Jamling Norgay and Brent Bishop - accomplished climbers in their own right - to celebrate their fathers’ achievements. They will join expedition leader Peter Athans, who has summited Everest six times - more than any other Westerner.

(from expeditionnews.com)
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 23 queries.