7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Do you need to qualify to climb the 7summits or Everest?  (Read 10392 times)

smrtnupp

• Lee
  • Scrambler
  • Altitude: 5
  • Buddy jumps over mountains!!!

I am also a new comer to the climbing arena, although I will never become a climber, I will however be faithful fan!!! Yup!!! I'm hooked....

I am alittle confused though on climbing the "Summits". Does one not have to qualify to say climb Everest Summit? I was under the impression climbers had to experienced in climbing before attempting such a feat.

« Last Edit: Oct 21 2004, 15:43 by 7summits »
"You cannot teach a man anything; you can only help him to find it within himself." -- Galileo

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
Re: Do you need to qualify to climb the 7summits or Everest?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 21 2004, 15:48 »

Hi smrtnupp, welcome to the 7summits community!
I took your post from teh sponsor topic and made it into a separate topic with a new title as you can see, so others might benefit from your question  8)

The short answer is No, basically anyone can climb any of these mountains, there is no license or anything needed.

But the longer answer is, that it would be suicide to climb Everest or any of the other summits on your own without any experience or training. Then you might want to join a commercial group, but smart expedition organizers will also not take anyone on a mountain that is out of the climber's league as it will endanger themselves and the other clients.
So normally they will demand a certain level of fitness, high altitude experience and technical training before allowing them to pay for a trip.
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

MoT

• Climber
  • Altitude: 8
    • TightropeNET
« Reply #2 on: Oct 21 2004, 16:17 »

Wasn't there some English guy a few years back who never really climbed anything before but got it into his head that he wanted to climb everest - and did just that?  ???

Not terribly bright but a success noetheless

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
    • The 7 summits pages
« Reply #3 on: Oct 21 2004, 16:25 »

Wasn't there some English guy a few years back who never really climbed anything before but got it into his head that he wanted to climb everest - and did just that?  ???

Not terribly bright but a success noetheless
Might be, did not hear that. But many rich guys buy their way up Everest as well, many of them with little experience. But if you just go with Russel Bryce for $45,000, then you will get a sherpa to even carry your daypack and oxygen.
But still many of his clients give up before reaching North Col as it is too hard, but some of them do make it...

When are you joining me up Everest, MoT? Any others?  8)
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Daisy

• Scrambler
  • Altitude: -23
« Reply #4 on: Oct 21 2004, 17:17 »

Some of our sherpas this year were telling me horrific stories about inexperienced people climbing Everest. They were very amused to find a man trying to jumar down a steep section of the mountain! apparently another equally clueless man wouldn't move to get down just above the Hillary step so one sherpas gave him a shove and the other sherpa caught him. That's basically how they got him down (or so they told me). They said to me "if you want to climb Everest you can do it, we carry you...no problem". Not that would not be my idea of climbing a mountain but...different strokes for different folks!

We all know that unpredictable things can happen on a mountain..even small ones so it's better to know how to look after yourself up there. Then again you can be lucky...but it's not good to depend on luck to get you down in one piece....
“Today, it is still not hard to find a man who will adventure for the sake of a dream or one who will search, for the pleasure of searching, and not for what he may find.”
                        Sir Edmund Hillary

Ron

• Mountaineer
  • Altitude: -1
  • Adapt,improvise and overcome!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 22 2004, 02:24 »

There is another topic somewere von this forum about the smae thing. Just dont have time to look right now.

smrtnupp

• Lee
  • Scrambler
« Reply #6 on: Oct 25 2004, 07:15 »

Thank you for your responses!!!! And yes Summit, it was probably on a guide site for climbing that I picked up the "qualifying part" which made me believe there was a qualifying involved!!!

"You cannot teach a man anything; you can only help him to find it within himself." -- Galileo

Buddha

• Climber
  • Altitude: 17
« Reply #7 on: Oct 25 2004, 08:39 »

New Zealand Adventure Consultants has a really nice website with loads of pics from the ascent of Mt. Everest.

http://www.adventure.co.nz/AdventureInternational/Virtual_Everest/

trunl

« Reply #8 on: Oct 26 2004, 04:28 »

according to explorers web, tom cruise (an american actor) has come up with the idea to climb everest, he has little to no experience, but it is on the top of his TO DO list.

trunl

smrtnupp

• Lee
  • Scrambler
« Reply #9 on: Oct 26 2004, 08:27 »

Scary!!!

Buddha

• Climber
  • Altitude: 17
« Reply #10 on: Oct 26 2004, 08:38 »

Ignorant might be a better word for it! I hope he changes his mind and tries some other mountains first to gain enough experience. He's a great actor and I hate to see him die...

Ron

• Mountaineer
  • Altitude: -1
  • Adapt,improvise and overcome!
« Reply #11 on: Oct 26 2004, 12:33 »

Hope he tries and fales

B/c if he succceeds every fan/guy will say.."if a movie star can do it then why not me"
And there will be even more amateurs on the Big E

As for him personally.....go for it and all the best
« Last Edit: Oct 26 2004, 21:02 by Ron »

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
    • The 7 summits pages
« Reply #12 on: Oct 26 2004, 13:28 »

He is actually very interested in mmountaineering. Originally he would produce "Touching the void" and play Joe.
He also did some of the hard rockclimbing scenes in Mission Impossible himself to the horror of his insurance company  8)

Only problem I would see is al the copy cats, after he finshed it, it will be even more popular! Even though that is good for my business, it might attract more unsuited climbers (no pun intented)...

But I hope he tries, I wouldn't mind climbing with him as it seems like he has a stronger mind than many other 'climbers', hey, maybe he's on this forum  :eek)

;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 23 queries.