7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Am I crazy or..  (Read 11041 times)

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
Am I crazy or..
« on: Oct 26 2004, 05:37 »

has the Euro increased prices more than we thought?

I know, it's an old topic and though I like having a general coin for a large part or Europe, I just came back from an average cafe in Amsterdam to meet some mates but a small glass of fresh orange juice costs €3 each! (about USD$3.75)  :()

This used to be 3 guilders not long ago (55% less), or am I getting old ???
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Buddha

• Climber
  • Altitude: 17
Re: Am I crazy or..
« Reply #1 on: Oct 26 2004, 05:40 »

We actually don't have the Euro here in Sweden. We voted about it and it was turned down. During the election period there were a lot of pro's and con's about the Euro. However, reports said that prizes had gone up between 10-25% on most stuff in all the countries that got the Euro. I don't think 3 Euro's is too much for a glass of fresh oj though. Of course that depends on the size of the glass...

trunl

« Reply #2 on: Oct 27 2004, 08:39 »

thats why i like the good old trusty american dollar!! GO $$$$$$!!!

trunl

Buddha

• Climber
« Reply #3 on: Oct 27 2004, 08:54 »

thats why i like the good old trusty american dollar!! GO $$$$$$!!!
trunl

You're not that bright kid. Read up on the economy section next time... The US Dollar is at the lowest exchange-rate towards most other currencies since 1997. Heck, for me it's great since I do a lot of shopping from the US, I get a lot more stuff now for the same price. At least Bush brought something good!

Ron

• Mountaineer
  • Altitude: -1
  • Adapt,improvise and overcome!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 27 2004, 12:45 »

That reply says it all... you keep your dolar sonny heheheh...better you then me ::)

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
« Reply #5 on: Oct 27 2004, 13:30 »

Actually it's bad for me as my trips are mostly priced in USD and therfore the little margin I make on them as well, while my mortgage is still in Euro  :P
But I do shop a lot in the US so that makes it up a bit  8)

The $/€ has dropped from 1.20 to 0.79 in just the last 4 years and therefore many countries are switching to Euros as it actually a lot more trusty (at least until now, a lot of work needs to be done in the EU to keep it that way) . This is one of the main reasons our Elbrus prices are in Euros now as the Russians would no longer accept USD as they went down and fluctuated too quick!

I think at one time not so long ago the $ was exactly 1 € as well as 100 yen. They should have made some brave decision on that day and just equalled it all  ;D Would save a lot of guys and countries getting rich over each others backs....  :?)

But then again we would not be able to see how wars etc would lower a country's relative financial position in the world. If more people realized this than there would be far less wars around the globe as most wars are started for financial gain and there can never be a winner, just losers on both sides... :'(
« Last Edit: Oct 27 2004, 16:40 by 7summits »
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

MoT

• Climber
  • Altitude: 8
    • TightropeNET
« Reply #6 on: Oct 27 2004, 16:25 »

You think that's bad? At least you don't live in Ireland - prices have soared since the Euro changeover. It's almost cheaper to eat out than eat at home. And as for the price of the pint... don't get me started on that one  :o

Daisy

• Scrambler
  • Altitude: -23
« Reply #7 on: Oct 27 2004, 19:09 »

Hey MoT

Did you get my message re: Ben Nevis? it seems it's cheaper to fly to Scotland than buy a sandwich and a coffee in Ireland! would any of the lads be interested? there are 3 of us going so far...13 - 15 November
“Today, it is still not hard to find a man who will adventure for the sake of a dream or one who will search, for the pleasure of searching, and not for what he may find.”
                        Sir Edmund Hillary

trunl

« Reply #8 on: Oct 28 2004, 04:32 »

my point was that in the US we deal with one currency, so what we make, we get that much back! unlike harry, who UNFORTUNATELY doesnt as he explained earlier.

trunl

Buddha

• Climber
« Reply #9 on: Oct 28 2004, 04:43 »

my point was that in the US we deal with one currency, so what we make, we get that much back! unlike harry, who UNFORTUNATELY doesnt as he explained earlier.
trunl

As I said, not that bright at all. Guilders was the former currency in Holland but since a few years back they use a currency called Euro, which most countries in the European Community use. What he asked was if we noticed any increases in price since that day!
And stop the SHOUTING!

Ron

• Mountaineer
« Reply #10 on: Oct 28 2004, 04:49 »

The Euro is just that ------->european ::) and thus we have one currency

Think before replying....certainly if you have no clue

trunl

« Reply #11 on: Oct 28 2004, 04:55 »

to buddha:
i was referring to his post when he said:

"Actually it's bad for me as my trips are mostly priced in USD and therfore the little margin I make on them as well, while my mortgage is still in Euro"

to ron:
i was referring to harry doing business in the two currencies (euro and USD).

and also to ron:
how about this post, did i think enough???  :D  (i swear this guy looks retarded) (no offense to anyone or anyone that knows anyone that is actually retarded)

trunl

Buddha

• Climber
« Reply #12 on: Oct 28 2004, 05:03 »

Trunl, if you use the "quote"-option when referring to some post then there will be no more confusions.
Do you think that American companies dealing with European companies deal with US dollars only? We frown upon US Dollars here in Europe. Together we stand united against the world police (Take it lightly, it's a joke!)

MikeW

• Climber
  • Altitude: 13
  • To be is to climb!
« Reply #13 on: Oct 28 2004, 08:21 »

)
Together we stand united against the world police (Take it lightly, it's a joke!)

I agree with Buddha!  ;D

Can you imagine living next door to the World Police  :'(

So that's why I love Europe so much and mostly France (they do speak the same language as myself). Vive le Québec libre!

MikeW

Ron

• Mountaineer
« Reply #14 on: Oct 28 2004, 13:48 »

to buddha:

and also to ron:
how about this post, did i think enough???  :D  (i swear this guy looks retarded) (no offense to anyone or anyone that knows anyone that is actually retarded)

trunl

Can you expand on that trunl. As what you mean is unclear. Sounds to me you are starting to calling me names? Or did you quote someone . In that case who and where?
Better be clear on this

trunl

« Reply #15 on: Oct 29 2004, 04:20 »

the smiley face,  :D, looks retarded.

trunl

MoT

• Climber
  • Altitude: 8
    • TightropeNET
« Reply #16 on: Oct 29 2004, 21:29 »

So does that picture of Arnold Schwarzenegger  ;D

(pokes the bear and runs away...)

Buddha

• Climber
« Reply #17 on: Oct 29 2004, 23:14 »

So does that picture of Arnold Schwarzenegger  ;D

(pokes the bear and runs away...)

Heck don't mock him! He will just go after you then instead of argueing at me and what fun will I have then? None...  :(

Ron

• Mountaineer
« Reply #18 on: Oct 30 2004, 00:27 »

Ill be back

;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 23 queries.