7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: what notable mountains have YOU climbed?  (Read 6509 times)

trunl

what notable mountains have YOU climbed?
« on: Oct 30 2004, 23:21 »

i would like to start this topic by asking everyone what mountains they have climbed.
buddha, ron, harry?

i will start out by saying that (SO FAR) i have only climbed one notable mountain:
mt. whitney

trunl

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
Re: what notable mountains have YOU climbed?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 31 2004, 00:07 »

Nice question. Of course there will be a discussion about what is a notable mountain and what is 'climbed' but here I go:

Climbed and summited:
- Denali (2 times, once with Ron)
- Aconcagua (2times)
- Kilimanjaro (once, did some other climbs for TV production, but not to the summit)
- Carstensz Pyramid
- Elbrus
- Mont Blanc (3 times, 3 different routes, once with Ron)

Tried but not summited:
- Everest in autumn (7500m)
- Chogolisa (Pakistan)

And miscellaneous climbs/hikes/courses, technical and non technical, on rock, snow, ice and waterfalls in Chile, Spain, France, Scotland (winter), Guatemala, Thailand, US, including summits on Ojos del Salado, Aonach Mor, Buachaille Etive Mor, Vaalserberg  :lol), Dômes de Miage (all 5), Aiguille de la Bérangère, Aiguille de Bionnassay (with Ron leading), Aiguille du Midi, Volcán de Pacaya, Ben Nevis (North and south), Mount Saint Helens, Aiguille du Tour, Signalkuppe (Punta Gnifetti), Zumsteinspitze, Tajumulco and some minor stuff in the alps.
 :P

More to come later  ;D
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Buddha

• Climber
  • Altitude: 17
« Reply #2 on: Oct 31 2004, 02:46 »

i would like to start this topic by asking everyone what mountains they have climbed.
buddha, ron, harry?
trunl

As you trunl I am a complete beginner which I also stated in this forum. I never claimed I summited any mountain that is notable unlike you have, but on the other hand you don't have anything to prove it with.

Try asking again in a year and I will have (hopefully) summited Elbrus and Kilimanjaro. I have those two "listed" for this year. Elbrus in July/August and Kilimanjaro in October. If the funds allow it I might try on Aconcagua in December '05 or January '06.

You are still welcome to join either one of those trips trunl, maybe we can even start to like each other, or at least accept each other ;)  :)

MikeW

• Climber
  • Altitude: 13
  • To be is to climb!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 2 2004, 20:34 »

Hey Guys!

I'm pretty new to mountaineering too. But I've climbed and summited Kilimanjaro and Elbrus in the last 2 years plus I've been hiking and skiing in the Northeast US in the White Mountains (mt Washington, mt Lafayette, etc...), the Adirondacks (mt Marcy) and the Green Mountains of Vermont. I've also been around doing a lot of ski touring in the Parc de la Gaspésie (a superb place to ski touring with some nasty descent!) back home in Québec.

Before my mountaineering bug, I've skied in France, Switzerland, Austria, Jackson Hole US, Whistler-Blackcomb, Portillo, Chile and pretty much everywhere in Québec and the Northeast US (lilke Whiteface and Killington).

This January, I'm going to Aconcagua with a trip arranged by 7Summits, and I'm preparing for Vinson in November-December 2005 (financing and all...). So I'm keeping myself busy. And the invitation to do the Ukatak raid is still open to everybody, if not for 2005 than for 2006.  ;D

MikeW

Daisy

• Scrambler
  • Altitude: -23
« Reply #4 on: Nov 2 2004, 21:18 »

Not sure you'd call this notable based on some of your achievements but here I am on the summit of Imja Tse (Island Peak) in the Himalayas 25th May this year. Not one of the 7 Summits but big enough all the same...
No view up there unfortunately but the cloud lifted just as I came down from the summit

No, it wasn't sponsored by HP. I just made that flag from my colleagues because they gave me a HP Photosmart camera.. :)
“Today, it is still not hard to find a man who will adventure for the sake of a dream or one who will search, for the pleasure of searching, and not for what he may find.”
                        Sir Edmund Hillary

Buddha

• Climber
  • Altitude: 17
« Reply #5 on: Nov 3 2004, 11:00 »

Hi Daisy, really nice picture! How high is Imja Tse?

You remind me of Tyra ;)

MaYhEm

• Hiker
  • Altitude: 0
  • Summit Bound!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 3 2004, 13:40 »

YAOW!.. daisy... whatever man has you is one lucky guy, that smile is.. wow... ;) Congrats on the ascent of island peak!

Daisy

• Scrambler
« Reply #7 on: Nov 3 2004, 15:09 »

Hi guys, like Tyra? I wish!  :-[ Imja Tse is 20,305ft. It was my first high altitude mountain and got me hooked I'm afraid!  ;)
“Today, it is still not hard to find a man who will adventure for the sake of a dream or one who will search, for the pleasure of searching, and not for what he may find.”
                        Sir Edmund Hillary

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
« Reply #8 on: Nov 3 2004, 15:42 »

Nice picture Daisy, and your smile is much better than Tyra's   :-*
If you had jumped up a few meters you would have reached the height of Denali!

Do you plan more '7 summits' after Aconcagua?
 8)
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Daisy

• Scrambler
« Reply #9 on: Nov 3 2004, 16:15 »

Hi there...yes I’m really hoping to climb Denali in May/June but I'm still struggling with the financial side of things. I'm going to give Aconcagua my best shot first and take it from there. After that, Elbrus would be my next goal. As you know it's impossible to predict or make definite plans. All I have at the moment are some dreams but I hope it will work out. One thing for certain is that I'm going to keep climbing for as long as I can and take one mountain at a time. It's like the poem...
"Life's battles don't always go
to the stronger or faster man
But sooner or later the man who wins
Is the man who thinks he can"
Or woman for that matter!   ;)
                        Sir Edmund Hillary
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 22 queries.