Yes, I agree with most of it.
- 1 (11.1%)
I hate trunl.
- 0 (0%)
Don't Care.
- 2 (22.2%)
Stop copying Ed Viesturs.
- 0 (0%)
Yes, but you should spread it out over more years.
- 3 (33.3%)
Yes, but you need more training.
- 1 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Too soon and Life Plan  (Read 6501 times)

trunl

Too soon and Life Plan
« on: Nov 4 2004, 03:37 »

after much thought and deliberation:

ive decided im gonna take your guys advice, and not try to climb the 7 summits this soon.

ive also decided that i want to live in seattle. its a cool place with lots of cool things to do, and a cool mountain nearby.

here's a layout of my schedule:

at age 16 (2005), during the summer, i will be going on a trip with the fort smith mountain men (www.fortsmithmountainmen.com). ive heard good things. its a monthlong summer camping trip, where you camp outside under the stars the whole trip, and just on a cot. they will be going to northern canada, and possibly alaska, so i will get winter camping experience.

at age 17 (2006), during the summer, i will be taking a monthlong road trip from texas to california, to washington to climb mt. whitney and mt. rainier. (anyone else is invited along).

at age 18 (2007), i will move to seattle, try to climb mt. rainier in my spare time, and be doing what i can to make money. i will take training coures periodically, for crampon experience, technical climbing, snow and ice training, rope handling, and crevasse resques (based on harry's advice  ;)).

at age 19 (2008), i will attempt to get a job at rainier mountaineering inc. after making several successfull attempts at the mountain and getting to know it.
i will also try denali then.
also, later in the year, i will try my first 8000er (most likely cho oyu or kangchenjunga).

at age 20 (2009), i will attempt my second and third 8000ers and several of the 7 summits, while still guiding for RMI.

at age 21 (2010), i will try to guide 8000ers and other mountains full time, giving classes and working for myself.

if this looks familiar to you, then you are right (ed viesturs, job at RMI and first 8000er kangchenjunga)  ;) ;) ;).

i welcome any advice.

trunl
« Last Edit: Nov 6 2004, 06:10 by trunl »

trunl

Re: Too soon
« Reply #1 on: Nov 6 2004, 02:16 »

Well guys, nobody gave advice, so i added a poll so you can vote on it. i cast my ballot. i wonder for which one???  8) 8) 8)

trunl

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
Re: Too soon and Life Plan
« Reply #2 on: Nov 6 2004, 04:20 »

err, many options, but I chose none of the above. It is wise you spread it out over more years. It is also wise to take courses first. The guys you mentioned are good to get more feeling for outdoors, but you also need technical training in the mountains, snow and ice training, rope handling, crevasse resques etc.

Mountains like Kili can be done next year if you want, Elbrus maybe the year after if you have some crampon experience.
The rest is depending on what happens the coming 2 years

Oh, and Seattle certainly does not suck! I love it, it's one of my favorite cities in the world  8)
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

trunl

« Reply #3 on: Nov 6 2004, 06:07 »

thank you for the opinion. i agree with you (i changed the original post ;) and the poll so you can vote ;)).

trunl
« Last Edit: Nov 6 2004, 06:13 by trunl »

voiceofreason

« Reply #4 on: Nov 6 2004, 23:15 »

thank you for the opinion. i agree with you (i changed the original post ;) and the poll so you can vote ;)).

trunl

What lead you to change your mind about your original plans Trunl? When will you now do the poles?

trunl

« Reply #5 on: Nov 6 2004, 23:22 »

i would like to finish the 8000ers by age 28, and the poles by age 30. what led me to change my mind? good advice! it sounds reasonable....

trunl
« Last Edit: Nov 6 2004, 23:28 by trunl »

rundmc

« Reply #6 on: Nov 14 2004, 06:02 »

i would like to finish the 8000ers by age 28, and the poles by age 30. what led me to change my mind? good advice! it sounds reasonable....

trunl

Trunl, please don't misinterpret my post but see it as friendly advice. An ambitious person such as yourself should be open to that in order to improve your success. Basically, there is an old saying: "actions speak louder than words".

Sofar, your words appear to have been VERY loud... whereas your actions are... are... far from that. No significant climbing experience.

You had a plan to be the youngest 7 summitter. You were going to Kili in a month. You had sponsors. And all this exploded into nothing and you are delaying everything (why? Kili is the one mountain which IS possible without experience).  Sounds to me like you are window dressing... instead of listening to advice the truth is probably you realized you wouldn't be able to make it... no $$$, no booking with jagged, no training, and finally: NO youngest 7 summitter record anymore.

So now you've changed your story... youngest 14 8000er. GET REAL TRUNL!

It is nice to have dreams,but you need to start with small steps. Your revised plan is just BS again. Do you think Ed Viesturs became guide after a year of dabbling in Seatle? Instead of moving to Seattle you should get a good education (go to college) and spend as much time as possible in the climbing hall. Go hiking to build basic stamina... and in thesummer finally try to climb Whitney. You mention Whitney in your revised plan, trying to climb it a 'second' time? :)

Trunl... don't try to fool us...don't try to fool the rest of the mountain community... but most of all, don't try to fool yourself! Your credibility is at stake.

trunl

« Reply #7 on: Nov 14 2004, 06:48 »

i have not revised my plan, except slightly for training... i always had a plan to climb the 8000ers by 28 and the poles by 30. and the 8 summits somewhere along the line. (if you read my website, you would know this ;)). and i dont care if im not the youngest to do it! if ive been taught one thing on this website, its that its not about the record, but the experience.

also, i was training, and sent a sponsor letter to over 100 sponsors.

and yes, ed, he did just guide on rainier for a while, then go climb kangchenjunga, and go on to climb other 8000ers.

now, rundmc, the rapper  ;), this post is in no way meant to be a flame, or anything else of the sort. and if you are going to post on this website, please register so people can contact you personally.

trunl

Mari

• Hiker
  • Altitude: 39
  • Am I supposed to write something here? :)
« Reply #8 on: Nov 15 2004, 14:06 »

Big dreams...but you've got plenty of time. Don't wear yourself out too soon like I did. I trained, studied and worked too much, which then led to physical injuries (knee operation, broken back, etc.) and finally I suffered a minor burnout (at the age of 17  :( ). It took a long time to recover...

So take it easy and allow yourself to rest at times. No need to hurry because most people summit Everest when they're +30yrs old. I really hope you'll make it.

"No-one is more irresistible than the dreamer whose dreams have come true"...(Don't remember who said that but it's true anyway).
« Last Edit: Nov 15 2004, 14:08 by Mari »
Altitude record 6654m. Next summer (2011) will try to up that to 7546m..
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 25 queries.