7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Altitude Training - Intermittent Hypoxic Training  (Read 5728 times)

MoT

• Climber
  • Altitude: 8
    • TightropeNET

http://www.altipower.com/sport.htm

This looks interesting. Expensive but interesting.

So what's the story?

Lazy man's approach to acclimatisation?
Drug free aid to acclimatisation?
Useful adjunct to busy training schedule?
Gimmick?
All of the above?

It seems to work by recirculating exhaled air but with the carbon dioxide filtered out to allow comfortable breathing. You can set the oxygen content of the recrculated air and so simulate oxygen conditions higher up.

Now if only they could invent a virtual reality simulator to go with it - you could climb the likes of Lhotse Middle whilst breathing high altitude air but with no snow/wind/avalanches all from the comfort of your armchair!  ;D

So, is it all a gimmick?

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
Re: Altitude Training - Intermittent Hypoxic Training
« Reply #1 on: Nov 4 2004, 19:00 »

I had seen it before, but the units used to be much bigger and even more expensive. It sounds nice in theory?!

IHT exposes the recipient to "hypoxic air" containing 9-16% oxygen (equating to an altitude exposure of 2,000 to 6,500 metres above sea level) intermittently at 4-6 minute intervals interspersed with breathing normal (sea-level) air for the same time, for 45-90 minutes per session, once or twice a day while the participant sits comfortably in lounge chair reading or watching television.

MoT, you are the doctor, can this really help i.e. does this really trigger extra red bloodcells in such a short time? I mean you can run up a high hill and be down before you get altitude sickness, so does your body react so quickly as described above and does it work if you are just sitting??
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

MoT

• Climber
  • Altitude: 8
    • TightropeNET
« Reply #2 on: Nov 4 2004, 20:09 »

I'd imagine being exposed to hypoxia would stimulate endogenous production of Erythropoietin (EPO) and thus boost your Haemoglobin. This would certainly facilitate oxygen transport around the body when you reach altitude. The problem is that exposure to altitude isn't just about red cells. There is a complex system of changes that occurs when you travel to altitude - you have a more sustained exposure to hypoxia and the biochemistry of your blood has to adapt to this.

I'll check it out, was just wondering had anyone encountered this system before. Research on high altitude training is scant at best - but I'm still searching

Any data I've discovered thus far has shown disagreement among researchers as to the benefits. I'm considering contacting one or two pharmaceutical companies to perhaps sponsor some equipment and maybe try and do research based on myself as user of the system and my companions as non users...

I'm sure it wouldn't do much harm, but will it do any good?

PS - darn it, my secret's out  ;D

MikeW

• Climber
  • Altitude: 13
  • To be is to climb!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 4 2004, 21:37 »

Hey Guys!

I know that many professional cyclists and triathletes use the high altitude tent to sleep at night to booster their red blood cells counts. So I guess it must be working to a certain extent.

MikeW

trunl

« Reply #4 on: Nov 4 2004, 22:52 »

theres also this other thing thats basically the same, its http://www.go2altitude.com/
i found it on www.everestnews.com.

trunl
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 23 queries.