7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No other than the seven  (Read 6843 times)

Andreas

• Scrambler
  • Altitude: -3
No other than the seven
« on: Nov 18 2004, 21:17 »

Are there anyone of the 126 on the list that actually "only" have climbed the seven summits but no other "notable" mountains?

It is hard to believe that for exemple Haruhisa Watanabe and Britton Keeshan could have time and money to climb any other "notable" mountains due to their young age. Had anoyone of them climbed another 8000 meter? Though they probarbly will do in the future...

Does anyone have some facts?
"I never drink water, that is the stuff that rusts pipes"

W. S. Fields

Daisy

• Scrambler
  • Altitude: -23
Re: No other than the seven
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18 2004, 23:25 »

Hi there,

A good friend of mine Pat Falvey from Cork, Ireland (not actually on the list) is completing the 7 summits for a second time. He just summited Everest for the second time last May and will be leading our expedition to Aconcagua this December. He is hoping to complete the second 7 summits challenge in one year. He has also climbed Cho Oyo in Tibet without supplementary oxygen and has over 35 ascents of mountains over 18,000ft to his credit over the past 10 years. He is one of only about 3 Irish people to climb Ama Dablam in Nepal. Towards the end of 2005 he will be leading an expedition to Antartica called "Beyond Endurance". Whatever about the money I don't know where he gets the energy! I'm afraid I don't have facts about any of the others on the list. Reinhold Messner is there. He has climbed all 14 8,000m mountains and more.
“Today, it is still not hard to find a man who will adventure for the sake of a dream or one who will search, for the pleasure of searching, and not for what he may find.”
                        Sir Edmund Hillary

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
« Reply #2 on: Nov 19 2004, 04:35 »

Hi there,

A good friend of mine Pat Falvey from Cork, Ireland (not actually on the list) is completing the 7 summits for a second time. He just summited Everest for the second time last May and will be leading our expedition to Aconcagua this December. He is hoping to complete the second 7 summits challenge in one year.
Pat is actually on the list, his detail page can be found here as well. But there is still no clarity about his final summit: was is Kosciuszko or Carstensz? Can you ask him?
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Buddha

• Climber
  • Altitude: 17
« Reply #3 on: Nov 19 2004, 04:57 »

Pat is actually on the list, his detail page can be found here as well. But there is still no clarity about his final summit: was is Kosciuszko or Carstensz? Can you ask him?

Harry! If you read the text on his profile page it says it all...  ::)  ;)

The Cartensz Pyramid was the finishing point of Pat Falveys odyssey. He was accompanied by three of his best friends, Con Moriarty,Mike Shea and Gene Tangney. On the 14th of Feburary 1997, Pat reached the summit. Con turned to Pat and and asked him "How do you feel". Pat replied "I feel absolutely on a high, my dream is now a reality". Shining his torch into the face of Con Moriarty, he continued "Finally the odyssey has ended,but I'm just beginning".
« Last Edit: Nov 19 2004, 10:19 by Buddha »

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
« Reply #4 on: Nov 19 2004, 05:05 »

I know, that's where the confusion comes from as all the statistcics show him to have climbed Kozzie instead. Check the 7summits book, adventurestats and everstnews, they all list Kozzie for him...
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

MoT

• Climber
  • Altitude: 8
    • TightropeNET
« Reply #5 on: Nov 19 2004, 21:32 »

I'll have to check in his book "Reach for the Sky" just to be sure but if my memory serves me correctly, Falvey DIDN'T claim to have climbed Carstenz. He went there with a view to climbing it but political instability in the area led him to abaondon that part of his quest. His last summit was Kosciuszko - they phoned the Pat Kenny Radio Show from the summit of Kozzie.

I think that info is a mis-print on that website you linked to(cut and pasted from...)
« Last Edit: Nov 19 2004, 21:38 by MoT »

tanner

• Hiker
  • Altitude: 0
  • Follow Your Dreams!
    • SURF2SUMMIT
« Reply #6 on: Nov 22 2004, 23:54 »

Daisy,
I read that you know Pat Falvey. I was wondering if by any chance you know Jon Rouche. I climbed with him on Denali in 2002, and he talked about Falvey a lot, and he mentioned that he climbed with him and a group of other climbers in his area. I lost his email address when my computer crashed and I was hoping to get back into contact with him.

Daisy

• Scrambler
  • Altitude: -23
« Reply #7 on: Nov 23 2004, 15:37 »

yep MoT you're right, Pat climbed Kosciuszko not Carstenez.

Hi Tanner,

I sent you a personal message with John Roache's number. I don't know him personally but he is a good friend of Pat's.
“Today, it is still not hard to find a man who will adventure for the sake of a dream or one who will search, for the pleasure of searching, and not for what he may find.”
                        Sir Edmund Hillary
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 23 queries.