7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 14-year-old Australian set to climb Everest  (Read 9763 times)

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
14-year-old Australian set to climb Everest
« on: Dec 11 2004, 22:18 »

Sydney, Dec 9 (IANS) Chris Harris, 14, plans to climb Mt Everest, reports the Sydney Morning Herald.

Harris will attempt to become the youngest person to climb the world's highest peak next year, 80 years after Briton George Mallory died during his third go on the mountain.
Chris is already the youngest person known to have climbed Mt Elbrus, Europe's highest peak.

He is out to beat Temba Tsheri, the youngest Sherpa to have climbed Everest, at age 16, in 2001. The youngest foreigner is Frenchman Bertrand Roche, who did it in 1990 aged 17.

"He might be a normal 14-year-old kid who goes to school, but he has got something. It's an attitude to finish - finishing what you start," says Chris' father.

By Indo-Asian News Service on Yahoo
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

tasty

• Armchair...
  • Altitude: 2
  • I changed it!!
Re: 14-year-old Australian set to climb Everest
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13 2004, 01:23 »

I had thought Nepal set the minimum age at 18 for Everest climbers such that no one could beat Temba.  It was always my understanding that this was a matter of National Pride for the Kingdom.  Anyone know if he has permission from the Nepalese Gov't yet?

Tasty

trunl

« Reply #2 on: Dec 13 2004, 08:45 »

no, way... what a cheap thing to do... is this true??

trunl

tasty

• Armchair...
  • I changed it!!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13 2004, 09:15 »

After some brief research I partially answered my own question...According to the boys website it looks like he is going with Russel Bryce.  Since Russel likes the North Side he would not need the Nepalese Gov't's permission. More power to him...it will be a great accomplishment if he can actually do it...

On some level his climb stands as an example of a recent trend that I have seen with people in the "youngest" whatever category.  (and when I say trend I can only cite 3-4 possible examples but I will pose the question nonetheless).  Also listed on Christopher's team for Everest is his father.  The Bio claims he has always loved mountaineering and almost carries the tone that he is experience citing climbs of Kilimanjaro and Aconcagua.  I am not doubting the father's experience, but on some levels, it makes me question whether these parents are using their children as an excuse or rather justification for getting to the mountain and making an attempt at it as well.  It looks as though Danielle Fisher may have had her father on some of these expeditions (thought her website obviously doesn't state whether or not he is climbing with her on her upcoming vinson and Everest expeditions.  I know of a father and son team who is heading to Vinson soon and the 19 year-old son has made significant progress on the Seven Summits and may be taking a run at the title as well.  I think this is a great way to spend time with one's child and these parents should be commended for raising such intrepid youngsters with large goals and aspirations.  Yet on some level it also appears that they may be satisfying some of their own cravings for adventure through capitalizing on their children.  I can't imagine how I would feel bringing my own son on Everest at such a young age knowing all the risk associated with young people at altitude let alone the uncontrollable objective hazard that exists when climbing a mountain like Everest. 
      What do you guys think?

Tasty

tasty

• Armchair...
  • I changed it!!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13 2004, 09:20 »

Incidentally, I do agree with the Nepalese decision to limit Everest to those 18 above if such a restriction is in place.  Not only is it excellent on the nationalist side of hings keeping moral and a strong sense of pride high but it also ensures that young folks whose minds I don't think are ready to comprehend the true nature and reality of a mountain like Everest off until they can grow up a little more, have some difficult experiences, and not be overtaken by sensationalist thought...

MikeW

• Climber
  • Altitude: 13
  • To be is to climb!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14 2004, 00:33 »

Hi Tasty!

I've climbed with Danielle Fisher on Kilimanjaro. She is one tough cookie and she knows what she wants. Sure her dad is there to help her achieve HER goals, but you needs all the help you can get to succeed climbing the 7 summits.

But I do think personnally that 14 is quite young to try Everest, you should have on your resume many mountains over 6000m and a couple over 7000m plus one 8000m before attempting Everest at 14.

MikeW

trunl

« Reply #6 on: Dec 14 2004, 08:04 »

who knows, maybe he does, has anyone checked his climbing resume??

trunl

tasty

• Armchair...
  • I changed it!!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 14 2004, 19:48 »

Hey Mike,
    Good to get some information first hand... Will Danielle's dad be going to Everest as well... How is she doing with sponsorship cash...I see 8 or so sponsors on her page but I doubt that hits the 100,000+USD she'll need...where is she getting the rest? 

Tasty

MikeW

• Climber
  • Altitude: 13
  • To be is to climb!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 14 2004, 22:11 »

Hey Tasty!

I've climbed with Danielle once and we keep in touch by email, but I'm not that familiar with her to discuss money complications. ;)

You should go see her web site at www.daniellefisher.net

MikeW
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 23 queries.