7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Buying Arcteryx outside Canada  (Read 10278 times)

Ian2u

• Hiker
  • Altitude: 0
  • I am too lazy too change this text!
Buying Arcteryx outside Canada
« on: Dec 22 2004, 02:06 »

I would like to get an Arcteryx Bora 80 Backpack but the price in UK or shipped from USA is pretty crazy - yet on their Canadian website it is less than half the UK price and therefore cheaper than a lot of bog standard backpacks in UK.  (The US price is also pretty daft).  But Canadian dealers are not allowed to ship Arcteryx internationally.  Anyone found a way around this other than flying to Toronto?  Given the Arteryx price in UK that might even be cheaper!  Thanks  Ian  :-\

MikeW

• Climber
  • Altitude: 13
  • To be is to climb!
Re: Buying Arcteryx outside Canada
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22 2004, 02:50 »

Not lucky! ;D

You should live in Montreal like myself. I just bought a Bora 95 last year (really cheap! ;)).

btw you should come to Québec, buy a Bora pack and enjoy the winter climate (yesterday it was -39c with the wind chill factor :o) so you can get a taste of Antarctica.

MikeW

Buddha

• Climber
  • Altitude: 17
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22 2004, 04:00 »

Altitude Sports in Canada are selling Arc'teryx over the internet. They're quite cheap and really nice and friendly to deal with!

http://www.altitude-sports.com

Ian2u

• Hiker
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22 2004, 05:34 »

Thanks Buddha, Altitude Sports has the Bora 80 at US$350 ($430 Canadian) whereas MEC has it as $387 Canadian but only for sale in Canada and in UK it is £300 ($710 Canadian) and the mark up on the Bora 95 is even greater.  I'll check out importing from Altitude sports since it will still be a lot cheaper than UK.  Ian  :)

Buddha

• Climber
  • Altitude: 17
« Reply #4 on: Dec 22 2004, 07:09 »

Ian, ask the guys at Altitude Sports to mark the parcel with goods not worth more then £30 on the tax & shipping info on the parcel. That way you escape toll and taxes, which earns you even more money! :) They have no problem with doing this!

MikeW

• Climber
  • To be is to climb!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 22 2004, 22:22 »

You're right guys, Altitude Sports is a great place, their shop in Montreal is always a good place to find great stuff, and they have a nice web site too.

As with MEC, it's the cheapest place to buy stuff with their brand name because it is a cooperative. But they mostly don't sell outside Canada, too bad! ;)

Have a merry christmas everybody and talk to you after Aconcagua in February!! O0

MikeW

Ian2u

• Hiker
Mike W - Arcteryx Bora 95
« Reply #6 on: Mar 13 2005, 03:49 »

I got a Bora 95 - got it from REI since I had just received my dividend and a 20% off offer, so with shipping and everything came to US$409
But no instructions with it or on web site.  I can work out most but not sure about the velcro pads on the back panel where the hip belt and shoulder straps go in.  Can you take the back panel etc out?  Are these for adjustments?

Havent tested it but the "Water tight" zips I guess are not since where the zip pulls meet there is a hole and the zips will pull slightly appart when the pack is full and driven rain will get in.  Have you had problems with rain getting in?

First try out today with 20Kg load and 25Km and felt OK.  Still having to play with all the adjustments though.

Mike - Any advice greatly appreaciated.

Ian

MikeW

• Climber
  • To be is to climb!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 15 2005, 02:41 »

Hey Ian!

My Bora 95 is the 2003 model and doesn't have the watertight sippers. But the waterproofness is pretty good nonetheless. When there is a deluge, I just put on my pack cover though!

I used it on Aconcagua this January and it did fine with the load at altitude.

MikeW

Ian2u

• Hiker
« Reply #8 on: Mar 16 2005, 03:31 »

Thanks Mike
I bought mine for Aconcagua and then hopefully Muztag Ata - if I can convince the wife this is a better investment than capeting the house!
Ian
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 22 queries.