7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bottom midlayer  (Read 11450 times)

Buddha

• Climber
  • Altitude: 17
Bottom midlayer
« on: Dec 23 2004, 08:42 »

Hey guys,

When reading a lot of suggested equipment lists from various Mountaineering Guiding companies most of them suggests that you bring a midlayer for the lower part of your body. I've never seen anything like this in a store here in Sweden, and it's pretty darn cold here in the winters.
Everyone I know just use normal baselayer then the technical shell pants.

What about all you guys? Is it necessary to have even more layers on the bottom then these 2?

Avid

• Armchair...
  • Altitude: 4
Re: Bottom midlayer
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27 2004, 17:10 »

Hi Buddha!

I would imagine most of the camping stores in Sweden would sell some sort of fleece pants. I do recommend getting them since they are not expensive and incase you encounter extremely cold weather they are needed. Check out North Face TKA 100 pants (35-55 €). They can be used separately during the approach or as midlayer while climbing.

Ps.

I haven't done expedition style climbing so I have no expertise about those requirements.
« Last Edit: Dec 27 2004, 17:18 by Avid »

Buddha

• Climber
« Reply #2 on: Dec 27 2004, 22:14 »

Hi Avid,

One would think that they do sell this kind of stuff but they don't. I've started working extra next to my regular job at one of the largest outdoor retailers in Sweden and we don't carry anything like this. Neither does any other outdoor retailer. I've checked and checked again...

Can't find anything on REI or Backcountry.com or any other online retailer either. Maybe I'm just blind...

Nacho

• Hiker
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28 2004, 01:05 »

Hi. I only use 2 layers... and everyone I know too.
If the weather is very cold, I wear a polartec 100 pants, and then, the technical shell. If its not very cold, just a polipropilene underwear, and the technical pant.
In Argentina you can buy this underwear in the stores.
3 layers is too much. If you are climbing, or walking, you don't need it.
bye... Nacho.

Avid

• Armchair...
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28 2004, 04:13 »

One would think that they do sell this kind of stuff but they don't.

I tend to believe that at least Patagonia, North Face and Haglöfs retailers in Stockholm have some mid layer pants. The reason why I recommend North Face TKA 100's is the fact that these are one of the few fleece pants that won't make you look like an complete idiot if you happen to wear them as your top layer during your approach, in base camp or in some refuge. The material on most of the mid layers seem to be some microfleece 100. Anyway, I would say they are money well spent if you happen to climb/spend your time in -25 Celsius and below. I kind of prefer having enough clothing for those early mornings when you have to get your self out of your sleeping bag to that cold harsh world out there. If you wear good shell pants with full side zippers it is easy to get the North Face TKA 100's off during the day due to their more relaxed fit.

Anyway, if you work for Stadium or some other sports retailer you probably have the Haglövs
tights but personally I don't like them too much (base layers are great but mids I don't just like since they feel like... well... tights). However, take a look at Globe Trotter they have TKA100's available online.

http://www.globetrotter.de/de/shop/detail.php?mod_nr=nf_41458&GTID=b479fe91554f5362e6113130e78c21b8
« Last Edit: Dec 28 2004, 04:18 by Avid »

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
« Reply #5 on: Dec 28 2004, 04:59 »

Ooh, I like my midlayers!

I use thin (100) and thick (300) fleece pants from The North Face. Use to have Helly Hansen as well, but tossed those out.

You need these on Denali and other chilly places, unless you have down pants or -suit. Most shops do not sell them, but the importer should be able to order them for you.
But simplest might be just buying a good quality fleece on a market and have someone handy make you pants out of it which is quite straightforward....

O0
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Buddha

• Climber
« Reply #6 on: Dec 28 2004, 06:41 »

I tend to believe that at least Patagonia, North Face and Haglöfs retailers in Stockholm have some mid layer pants. The reason why I recommend North Face TKA 100's is the fact that these are one of the few fleece pants that won't make you look like an complete idiot if you happen to wear them as your top layer during your approach, in base camp or in some refuge. The material on most of the mid layers seem to be some microfleece 100. Anyway, I would say they are money well spent if you happen to climb/spend your time in -25 Celsius and below. I kind of prefer having enough clothing for those early mornings when you have to get your self out of your sleeping bag to that cold harsh world out there. If you wear good shell pants with full side zippers it is easy to get the North Face TKA 100's off during the day due to their more relaxed fit.

Anyway, if you work for Stadium or some other sports retailer you probably have the Haglövs
tights but personally I don't like them too much (base layers are great but mids I don't just like since they feel like... well... tights). However, take a look at Globe Trotter they have TKA100's available online.

http://www.globetrotter.de/de/shop/detail.php?mod_nr=nf_41458&GTID=b479fe91554f5362e6113130e78c21b8

Stadium only sells their own brand Everest in microfleece. They don't have a lot of it though but I asked a friend who works there and they do have them. No Haglöfs...

I work for Naturkompaniet

Where do you live Avid?

Buddha

• Climber
« Reply #7 on: Dec 28 2004, 06:46 »

However, take a look at Globe Trotter they have TKA100's available online.

Checked the link to Globetrotter, thanks. How are these in length? I'm 197 cm tall and usually most pants are too short for me...

Corsair

• Scrambler
  • Altitude: -2
« Reply #8 on: Dec 28 2004, 07:08 »

Bask has all the stuff you're talking about. I use a lot of their stuff. Excellent quality at an affordable price level. Their products have been to all the 8000m peaks and are more function than outlook.
http://www.bask.info/
To die? No, I climbed up there to LIVE!

Avid

• Armchair...
« Reply #9 on: Dec 28 2004, 08:43 »

Checked the link to Globetrotter, thanks. How are these in length? I'm 197 cm tall and usually most pants are too short for me...

I'm 183 cm short :) and I guess I'm all the way regular. I have the mediums which are fine. Anyway, as you probably know Naturkompaniet is a official North Face retailer so you could probably get them ordered to you from the Swedish importer. What ever fleece pants you are getting I would advise you to avoid the "tights" type since they can be a royal pain to take off during a climb if you need to. With the more loose fit you don't need to take your boots off and even the underwear stays in their intended place. ;)

Ps. I'm from Finland. I hope you guys are having a proper winter since what we are having now is a lame imitation of it...

Buddha

• Climber
« Reply #10 on: Dec 28 2004, 09:10 »

Ps. I'm from Finland. I hope you guys are having a proper winter since what we are having now is a lame imitation of it...

Well, I don't know if this qualifies as a winter anymore. We've had a few weeks all together with cold weather and snow at currently we have about 15cm with snow but the temperature is +2 now so it will be gone in a day or two...

I'm still hoping on some more serious winter in january and february!

I wish we could have a real ankara talvi!

Buddha

• Climber
« Reply #11 on: Dec 28 2004, 09:19 »

Lumeton joulukuu, pimeän linnoitus
pientä kiilua täynnä, kesytetyissä pihapuissa
rykelmittäin arktisia tulikärpäsiä,
varovaista seremoniallista valoa
mutta juhla tulee ennen aikojaan: kalsea
mustakeuhkoinen lounaismyrsky, tukeva
kuin tuulesta rakennettu kaupunki,
rämistää jokaista löysää metallia, narisuttaa
jokaista porttia ja humisee koko pitkän yön
kattopelleissä kuin kaukainen ukkonen.
Ylikypsä syksy, viides vuodenaika
jonka läpi ei vie mikään päätös;
vain tottumus auttaa, turtumus
ja pettämätön kiertokanki,
planeetan liike.

MikeW

• Climber
  • Altitude: 13
  • To be is to climb!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 2 2005, 22:29 »

Hi guys!

You should look to get a Polartec 200 pant with complete side zips as a midlayer. When it's really cold, it's useful when climbing and at camp. And when it's too warm while climbing, it's easy to take them off with the side zip. I know they're selling primaloft insulated pant too, they look pretty nice.

MikeW
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 22 queries.