7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Professor objects to mountain sex  (Read 9606 times)

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
Professor objects to mountain sex
« on: Dec 27 2004, 04:10 »

26 December 2004 
By EMILY WATT

A Victoria University professor wants randy mountaineers to stop having sex at Mount Everest's base camp.  Professor Ralph Pettman is starting an international protest movement to raise awareness of the cultural insensitivity of amorous mountain tourists.

Base camp sex has long upset Sherpas, for whom the mountain is a sacred place.

When eight people were killed in an Everest blizzard in 1996, Sherpas claimed the sexual activities of a New York socialite before the climb had brought bad luck to the climbers.
"For them, it's a very sacred mountain, but people treat it in unsacred ways," Pettman said.

The professor of international relations has received $2000 in funding from Victoria University to create a website to unite international support.  The movement is part of Pettman's research into world affairs. It is one of seven case studies exploring how people think about world events.

He said to truly understand global social movements, he needed to start one himself.
After looking around for an issue of global interest, he believed this idea appealed as something of international importance.

He said having sex - known as "making sauce" to Sherpas - was as much a desecration of the sacred mountain as rubbish and pollution. "It's very much an issue of an ongoing problem which is really not recognised. Just because (these issues are) not material doesn't make them less important."

Footprints Tours guide John McKinnon, who has been travelling to Nepal since the 1960s and lived there for two years, said he was astonished at the proposals. He doubted Sherpa were offended by tourists having sex.
"I find that claim rather questionable. Sherpas have a very raunchy sense of humour," he said.

Wellington teacher Eileen Thwaites, who climbed to Base Camp in 1998, said she had not heard of anyone getting amorous at altitude and noted that at 17000 feet, every movement was a challenge.
"Honestly, it's just so high up there, just walking is exhausting so I don't know how they get the energy to do it."

But the project has been given the thumbs-up by the university's ethics committee and Pettman has commissioned a New York website designer to construct the site.
After consultation with Sherpa, Pettman hopes the social movement will gain enough momentum to meet at Everest next year.

He also plans to commission a haka for the event.
"I want this to be a serious initiative, not something silly. If it can't be that, it will just die. These things either capture the popular imagination of the world, or they don't. If this fails to resonate, even though it's a good idea, it will just die."

(found on this site)
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

peak_sneak

Re: Professor objects to mountain sex
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22 2005, 03:26 »

i am very surprised to find a short article about this subject today. It is funny to me because i was just thinking last night about it. I was wondering if it would offend the locals, no matter where we were, to have sex on special places like the 7 summits. although I understand the concern the professor has, I can't let go of the fact that the sherpas or others also have sex in sacred places. i am not sure it really bothers them that tourists have sex too. touchy subject though, but i have to admit that it could be quite a fantasy and could even be considered a challenge considering the physicallity of it under the circumstances. ???

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22 2005, 03:42 »

Hey Sneak Peak, welcome to the forum, quite an interesting first post  8)

Actually sex itself is considered quite sacred in many cultures and many Sherpa's live in high places close to other sacred places and they obviously have sex too, so it is hard to tell if it's really their own opinion or just an oversensitive Western dude..

touchy subject though, but i have to admit that it could be quite a fantasy and could even be considered a challenge considering the physicallity of it under the circumstances. ???

It is fun  ;D
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

peak_sneak

« Reply #3 on: Jan 22 2005, 04:25 »

Hey 7summits, thanks for the reply.
I am considering adding the 7summits to my "things to do in my life" list. Unfortunately, i think like many people, finding the funding for it is part of the challenge.
Maybe I should change it to 'having sex on the 7 summits'....what do you think?
Is there a list of people who have accomplished that??!!! ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 22 queries.