7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: what to climb when  (Read 5006 times)

Robert

• Armchair...
  • Altitude: -6
  • "Don't steal. The government hates competition
what to climb when
« on: Jan 17 2005, 22:52 »

Just looking for a bit of advice

I leave to start my first of the seven summits in 6 weeks, I'm going up the Rongai route on Kilimanjaro, and i can't wait.

What i was wanting to know was, is there a suggested order in which to climb the 7 summits. basically which one do i do next?  ???

Robert

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
Re: what to climb when
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18 2005, 02:22 »

Hey Robert,

welcome to the forum; there is no fixed order, but it is wise to slowly build up to Everest by learning on all aspects of that climb: altitude, technique, cold etc.

See also this FAQ. Most people do either Elbrus or Aconcagua after Kili, and then work their way up Vinson/Denali until they get to Everest in the end.
Kosciuszko can be done whenever you are in the area and have a day off, Carstensz needs high altitude rock climbing experience.

Do not underestimate the step from Kili to Aconcagua, though technically not much harder, Aconcagua is a different ballgame...
Best is to take loads of courses (in the Scottish highlands for example  8)) and go on a longer and higher expedition each year as well.
 O0
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Robert

• Armchair...
  • Altitude: -6
  • "Don't steal. The government hates competition
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18 2005, 18:17 »

Thanks for the reply the FAQ was really informative

What courses would you advise to take i have done alot of walking and summited loads of munroes (Scottish mountains over 3000 ft). i have done some climbing but i am by no means a good climber

any sugestions towards courses that would help

Robert

eugene

« Reply #3 on: May 1 2005, 01:56 »

Couldn't do better than www.mountainmotion.co.uk. Richard Bentley is a class act and a real nice guy. We climber tower ridge in ice and snow in Feb with him. He is a very highly regarded guide and instructer in Fortwilliam.

Check out his website he has a number of courses on offer.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 22 queries.