7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Two French climbers missing on Aconcagua, South Face  (Read 9524 times)

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages

BUENOS AIRES, Feb 4 (AFP) - Two French climbers were reported missing Friday at the Aconcagua massif in western Argentina while they were attempting to reach the summit, said an official of Mendoza Province.
    Damien Boitard and Stephane Malavasi, both 35, had ascended the south face, considered the most difficult route up the 6,959-metre Aconcagua, the world's highest peak outside of the Himalayas. Both men were understood to be accomplished mountaineers.
    Helicopter searches had failed to find signs of the two since January 30, when their guide reported them missing after they failed to show up for a prearranged meeting, said Hugo Chavela, spokesman for the provincial natural resources directorate.
    According to their plans, the two were to launch an attempt on the peak on January 25 and return on January 30. Their route was hit with a violent storm on January 29-30.
    The chances of finding them alive were "low", given the time elapsed since their disappearance, said the official. The two carried radio equipment with them, but no signals have been received.
    "Getting through the south face is a lottery", said Chavela.

(from this site)
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Nacho

• Hiker
  • Altitude: 4
Re: Two French climbers missing on Aconcagua, South Face
« Reply #1 on: Feb 8 2005, 02:27 »

That's sad. Today the news paper here, in Buenos Aires, says that the rangers stop searching the climbers.

I hope they're alive. On jan 2004 I was in the south face of Aconcagua for 12(!) days. We had bad weather, one of us injured his knee in the seracs (5900mts), so we was very slowly. We attempt the messner mix (6250mts) and it were impossible. And 2 day rappeling. So, I hope they had this kind of problems, and on the next days the appear safe.

bye...

Daisy

• Scrambler
  • Altitude: -23
« Reply #2 on: Feb 9 2005, 17:09 »

Hi,

Just wondering if you heard any more news on these two climbers. I just got a mail from one of my colleagues in HP France asking if I have any contacts in Argentina who might know something. One of the climbers Stéphane Malavasi is a very good friend of his. His wife and friends are all terribly upset and would like to understand what happened. I know this is a long shot but any information at all would be really appreciated.

Thanks
D
“Today, it is still not hard to find a man who will adventure for the sake of a dream or one who will search, for the pleasure of searching, and not for what he may find.”
                        Sir Edmund Hillary

Nacho

• Hiker
« Reply #3 on: Feb 9 2005, 19:29 »

Daisy, I just call to a news paper in mendoza, and they say that yesterday the rescue team stop searching the climbers.
I just send an e-mail to the Nathional park, to know the official version.
I´ll send you they answer.
Bye.

Daisy

• Scrambler
  • Altitude: -23
« Reply #4 on: Feb 9 2005, 19:50 »

Thanks for your help Nacho. It's much appreciated.
“Today, it is still not hard to find a man who will adventure for the sake of a dream or one who will search, for the pleasure of searching, and not for what he may find.”
                        Sir Edmund Hillary

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10 2005, 02:00 »

No news from my office in Argentina I am afraid  :_)
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Jerk

• Armchair...
  • Altitude: 0
  • I am too lazy too change this text!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10 2005, 02:40 »

One thing is for certain - if they are still alive they will have an incredible tale to tell.

Nacho

• Hiker
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10 2005, 02:52 »

Two minutes ago, I talked by phone with the rangers office.
They told me that they have no news of the french climbers, and tomorrow the police going to declare disappear.

They found in Plaza Francia an empty tent, without any gear or sleeping bags. They pressume they went to climb the south face.
They used an helicopter to search into the south face, and there are no signs of them. Also, they search in Plaza Argentina and Plaza de Mulas.
On these days, there was a big storm, with many avalanches. The posibilities to find them safe are very few.

I'm very sorry to hear this news.

bye...

pura vida

• Hiker
  • Altitude: 1
  • I am too lazy too change this text!
    • www.ginethsoto.com
« Reply #8 on: Feb 16 2005, 06:32 »

Hello Nacho,
 ??? Any news about the French climbers?
 Thanks
Gineth

Nacho

• Hiker
« Reply #9 on: Feb 18 2005, 20:33 »

Hello gineth.. I have no news.
bye
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 23 queries.