7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: April 3: enjoying Kathmandu, getting ready for Everest  (Read 4648 times)

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages

Namaste!

Hello from a cloudy Kathmandu. After Romke dropped me off (again!) I caught my flight to London in time, and even charmed my way out of the excess luggage penalty.
Noel & Hanna beat me to it though as they got upgraded to business class from Belfast to London! And they scammed even more free luggage  ;D

We hooked up at Heathrow, got along right away and together flew to Kathmandu via Abu Dhabi.

Alex (Abramov) picked us up and we raced through the always busy streets of Kathmandu. We also met Nate Schneider who will be climbing with us and has been travelling with his father Andy. As Noel and Lynne are from Northern Ireland they had to test out the Irish pub of course, but he as he would not go for canned Guiness, it was Everest lager instead..

There are fewer tourists than normally, but still the atmosphere is great as ever. We are now in the Vaishali hotel in Thamel and getting the last things organied.
Meanwile most other climbers have arrived, our other guide Nickolai is here as well as our team doctor Andrej. Our entire neighbourhod seems to be overtaken with teammembers wearing our specially made red team jackets and shirt  8)

Tommorow we wil do the touristy thing and take a nice tour of teh different Hindu and Buddhist temples.
The Maoist problem is getting stronger though and we might have to find a new solution for getting our gear to the border which was planned in the next few days. But the Maoists have called a strike and are getting more aggressively lately, so we must take care.

Meanwhile we ae enjoying the friendliness of the Nepali people, more post later this week!

All the best,

Harry

World Wide Baggage Services has sponsored us by sending our cargo off!

Thanks Ybo! If anybody from the Netherlands wants a good, fast and cheap but especially easy way to send of excess luggage, go to www.baggage.nl and have it picked up at your doorstep!

As always our clothing is sponsored by The North Face!

O0
« Last Edit: Apr 15 2005, 01:20 by Romke »
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

MournesMan

• Scrambler
  • Altitude: 0
  • Live life and follow your dreams
Re: April 3: enjoying Kathmandu, getting ready for Everest
« Reply #1 on: Apr 3 2005, 22:34 »

Glad you've all made it to Kathmandu - you lucky people!! ;D

Anyway, have fun - didn't realise there were 2 folks from N Ireland on the expedition.  As with Lynne, I also wish Noel every success!!

MournesMan

• Scrambler
  • Live life and follow your dreams
Everest 2005: Kathmandu fun
« Reply #2 on: Apr 6 2005, 03:10 »

:)

Hello folks!  How have you enjoyed Kathmandu?  Did you see all the temples?

Have you started the week-long trek to Everest Base Camp yet?  How are the folks from NI doing?  What sort of climbing experience have they got?

regards Colin

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
« Reply #3 on: Apr 6 2005, 11:50 »

Hey Colin and all,

yep, we saw the beautiful temples, had a great day tour with a very nice guide  8)
And everybody is very busy bonding with other team members over an Everest-beer, so that works out fine.

Noel and I will be trying to cycle down from basecamp to sealevel after the climb. Now I just have to buy a bicycle today  :?)

Tomorrow we will try to leave for Tibet!

Cheers,
Harry
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

peter65

• Armchair...
  • I am too lazy too change this text!
« Reply #4 on: Apr 6 2005, 22:43 »

Good luck - be careful out there
Veel succes
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 23 queries.