7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Harry Kikstra writes new Aconcagua book in new 7 summits guidebook series  (Read 23440 times)

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages

[edit] The book is now readily available at Amazon and other online sources. please see the dedicated page for info as well as sample pages, table of contents etc:
http://7summits.com/aconcagua/guidebook.php
[/edit]

Hi all,

I have just finished the first book in the new Rucksack Pockets summit series.
This first book is about Aconcagua and is a practical guide you can easily take with you to the summit!

It will be available soon as it is being printed right now, but you can already pre-order it now at my publisher's website:

Harry Kikstra
June 2005
UK Price £9.99
ISBN 1-898481-51-2

"Of the seven continental summits, Aconcagua (at 6962 m/22,840 ft) lies second only to Everest. Yet it is surprisingly free of snow and ice, and experienced hikers can reach the roof of the Americas without technical expertise. However, it is one of the world’s highest and toughest treks.

The author has summited twice, and explains in detail how to tackle the main trekking routes (Normal and Polish Traverse), as well as giving a useful summary on the technical Polish Glacier route. This pocket-sized book weighs only 112 g (4 oz), yet it contains all you need to plan and enjoy your summit attempt:

- concise advice from an expert about preparation, planning and choosing your gear
- detailed information about altitude effects and sickness, and how to monitor and prevent them
- fold-out map showing the routes, also enlargement of summit area
- 96 waterproof pages with open-flat binding
- in full colour, with 60 photographs."
« Last Edit: Dec 11 2005, 18:55 by 7summits »
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
    • The 7 summits pages

Hi all,

it took a while, but now the book is finally available. It can be ordered at Amazon.com/uk/de or at my publisher, they have got many other nice hiking books. The bookstores around the world do not have their copies yet, they are on the way by boat, but it might take another month or 2.

I have a limited supply to sell myself, so if you want an autographed version, you can order it by sending €13,50 (including €3,50 euro P&P) by PayPal to bookings (at ) 7summits.com. Do not forget to include your address!

To celebrate the fact I am giving 3 signed copies away. Want to win?

- 1 copy will go to the first person replying on this topic with the correct answer to: Why is the 'False (Falso)' Polish route called that?

- 1 copy will go to the person that has 3 friends signing up on the forum, each introducing themselves in a post under "ChitChat". Of course they must mention your name!

- 1 copy will go to the first person sending me a nice postcard:
7summits.com
2e Oosterparkstraat 156B
1092 BR Amsterdam
The Netherlands  8)

Winners will be announced end of September.

And of course everybody who will book an Aconcagua trip this season (see prices here) will receive a copy as well.

Looking forward to your reactions,

Thanks,
Harry
« Last Edit: Aug 29 2005, 14:58 by 7summits »
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Mari

• Hiker
  • Altitude: 39
  • Am I supposed to write something here? :)

It's called 'False Polish route' because it's a non-technical route that's close to the moderately technical Polish Glacier route...

The False Polish route avoids the technical difficulties of the Polish Glacier route by traversing to the north side of the mountain...

Is that enough?

« Last Edit: Aug 29 2005, 14:58 by 7summits »
Altitude record 6654m. Next summer (2011) will try to up that to 7546m..

jedi-knight

• Scrambler
  • Altitude: 1

hey harry,

i went to the Rucksack website and notice that this is the 1st of 3 books. next two are on Africa and North America. are they on Kili and Denali?

cheers,
jk
 O0
« Last Edit: Aug 29 2005, 14:59 by 7summits »
Do or Do Not...There is No Try!

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
    • The 7 summits pages

It's called 'False Polish route' because it's a non-technical route that's close to the moderately technical Polish Glacier route...
The False Polish route avoids the technical difficulties of the Polish Glacier route by traversing to the north side of the mountain...
Is that enough?
Hi Mari,
yes, that's enough   8)
Send me your current mailing address by instant message and the book will come your way!

Hi JK,

yes, the next will be Kilimanjaro, which is written by my publisher/editor Jacquetta Megarry (an adapted version of this/her highly successful Kili book). And Denali, which I am writing right now. So if you are looking for a collection of (signed) first editions, start now 
;D
« Last Edit: Aug 29 2005, 14:59 by 7summits »

Mary Clare

Harry

Congradulations!!!   ;D

This is big news!  Well done!  I will look forward to obtaining a signed copy.  In the meantime...Excellant!

mc

Mari

• Hiker
  • Altitude: 39
  • Am I supposed to write something here? :)

Thanks again Harry!

I got the book today and after a quick read I can honestly say that I absolutely love it!

Everybody should own one :D
Altitude record 6654m. Next summer (2011) will try to up that to 7546m..

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
    • The 7 summits pages

There is a nice interview with my editor/publisher Jaquetta Megarry in the Sunday Herald:
http://www.sundayherald.com/52022

Unfortunately the 5 free copies had been given away within hours!

Any forum posters from Edinburgh? I will be there on Wednesday to do a presentation / book launch, at a Stirling climbing shop called Summits. Cu there?

Cheers,
Harry

Ps: there is still a free copy waiting here for the first person to send me a nice postcard!  8)
« Last Edit: Oct 3 2005, 02:44 by 7summits »

Buddha

• Climber
  • Altitude: 17

Hi Harry!

Congrats to your new book! I've just posted a beautiful postcard and hope that this will be the first one to arrive at your place!  ;)

Cheers,

Andreas

MikeW

• Climber
  • Altitude: 13
  • To be is to climb!

Hey Buddha!

You were supposed to climb Elbrus this summer. What happened? Good to hear from you!

MikeW

Buddha

• Climber

Hey Mike,

Long story but to make it short... We didn't go! :'(

The team consisted of me, Mari and another Swedish guy called Oskar. Everything was booked in Russia including a guide on summitday.
Unfourtanely Oskar decided that he couldn't go due to several things, his family and money. I was also a bit short on money and Mari was at this time also a bit short on cash so we decided to cancel it. As both me and Mari are beginners we didn't think it was safe enough to venture up a high mountain without any mountaineeringskills and didn't want to play with our lives.
We've decided to do Elbrus together though and hopefully we will soon get together to do some peak in Sweden or maybe Norway.

Anyway, we will hold off Elbrus until she's completed her military service...

Buddha

• Climber

Ps: there is still a free copy waiting here for the first person to send me a nice postcard!  8)

Darn, I guess there was some lucky guy/gal that managed to get their postcard to Harry before me.. Congrats to whoever it was!  :)

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
    • The 7 summits pages

Oops, totally forgot to mention the winner here   :P

The first postcard that arrived was also the nicest according to the friendly but biassed jury consisting of me and some friends  8)

So the winner is.....

Andreas Nuland!
Besides being the first, the image itself was also very nice: "Evening mood at Hell station"
Well I have been to hell and back this year, so I could appreciate it

The Aconcagua pocket guidebook is on its way, let me know what you thought of it.

Shared 2nd place for MC & Buddha, both cards arrived 3 days later. Attached is a (louzy, scanner is broken) picture of the 3 cards with the winning one on the top.

Thanks all,
best regards,

Harry

Buddha

• Climber

What an awesome postcard that one from Hell...  >:D

Congrats to Andreas!

Andreas

• Scrambler
  • Altitude: -3

Oops, totally forgot to mention the winner here   :P

The first postcard that arrived was also the nicest according to the friendly but biassed jury consisting of me and some friends  8)

So the winner is.....

Andreas Nuland!
Besides being the first, the image itself was also very nice: "Evening mood at Hell station"
Well I have been to hell and back this year, so I could appreciate it

The Aconcagua pocket guidebook is on its way, let me know what you thought of it.

Shared 2nd place for MC & Buddha, both cards arrived 3 days later. Attached is a (louzy, scanner is broken) picture of the 3 cards with the winning one on the top.

Thanks all,
best regards,

Harry

Thank you very much Harry, glad you like`d the postcard from Hell!
If anybody wondering, I can tell you that it is an actual place in Norway called Hell, just check Google Earth  ;D

I really like the book, special the "Planning and preparation" section was very good. The best thing about the book is it size. It is really a book that you probarbly could bring with you to Aconcagua in your jacket pocket and still have room for other things in the same pocket.  ::) Though it is small in size, I still feel that it contains lots of information.

I will probarbly also buy the Kilimanjaro book in the seies since I anyway want to try that mountain before Aconcagua.
(Read more about my plans here: http://7summits.com/forum/index.php?topic=850.0#msg3078  ;)  )

All in all, a very good book. Keep up the good work Harry!

Thanks again!

Best regards

Andreas
"I never drink water, that is the stuff that rusts pipes"

W. S. Fields

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
    • The 7 summits pages

I will probarbly also buy the Kilimanjaro book in the seies since I anyway want to try that mountain before Aconcagua.

Hi Andreas!
thanks for the kind words. I want to see a picture with you holding the book up at the summit!
Please be aware that though the Kilimanjaro book is excellent, it is in a bit different format, fewer, but larger pages. Still waterproof and with similar maps and general layout and info. The newest editon has just been released, you can see chapters and details and buy it directly from the/my publisher:
http://www.rucsacs.com/books/emk/

Cheers,
Harry
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 23 queries.