7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lure of Kilimanjaro too hard to resist?  (Read 3159 times)

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
Lure of Kilimanjaro too hard to resist?
« on: Jan 4 2005, 21:08 »

I found this article about climbing of Kili. Gives a nice general picture, especially the recommendations about a longer trip we subscribe to.

8)

"By Tony Lourens

It seems as if I bump into a different person almost every day who has either just climbed Kilimanjaro or is planning to take up the challenge very soon.

Even my laziest friends are talking about climbing "Kili". It seems that over the past few years this famous adventure trek has developed a following with both Sunday strollers and seasoned veterans.

The reason for this lies in the ease of access and the non-technical grade of most of the popular routes up this mountain - apparently the rule of thumb to determine your physical fitness is the ability to comfortably walk 100km in one week.

So with weekly international flights and no ropes or ice axes required, this is the ideal adventure for the "non-adventurer".

Africa's highest peak lies just south of the equator in Tanzania and next to the border with Kenya. At 5 896m, the summit of Uhuru Peak raises it's snow-capped crest above the Masai steppe. Below on the African plains, giraffe and elephant graze in the shadow of what is fast becoming one the world's most climbed mountains.

Plant life on Kilimanjaro is truly remarkable. From the dense canopies of green within the tropical rain forest to the fine wisps of lichen scattered across the highland desert, a typical ascent up the mountain would include biodiversity stretching across at least five very different habitats.

There are many reasons to enjoy trekking in foreign countries other then the physical exertion. However, do not be fooled - you will definitely exert yourself if you want to make it to the summit no matter how slowly you walk.

The most popular routes offered by operators on the mountain take five days. The problem with such a short itinerary is that you gain altitude very rapidly and the majority of climbers will suffer from some symptoms of altitude sickness.

The easiest way to avoid this problem is by taking a longer route and making sure you climb very slowly - seven-day options are available. Your chances of summiting will increase dramatically and you may find the experience far more enjoyable.
"

(from this website)
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

janets

• Armchair...
  • Altitude: 0
  • I am too lazy too change this text!
Re: Lure of Kilimanjaro too hard to resist?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 6 2005, 07:25 »

I think 8 or 9 days are even better :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 23 queries.