7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Climbing decision  (Read 3649 times)

illicit

• Armchair...
  • Altitude: 0
  • I am too lazy too change this text!
Climbing decision
« on: Mar 26 2005, 00:44 »

I am planning to climb either the carstanesz pyramid, or Mount Elbrus in the December (school) holidays. (Or another, If anyone has a suggestion)

I was just wondering, what would be better to climb. I understand that the season/climate has an imense impact on climb, and that Elbrus will be below freazing point, during December. (which will mean I would be able to do it in the June/July school holidays next year)

Could anyone who has any advice on those two mountains please assist me on my decision? (It is inevitable that I will climb one of them, at least I hope)

P.S. I heard that Mount Elbrus is nearly 2 weeks (including the tours of the town etc.) Climbing for 10+- days could become a bit tedious..., what is the shortest trip available? (with appropriate acclimatisation)

I don't think age is an important deciding factor, but I am currently 15 years of age.

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
Re: Climbing decision
« Reply #1 on: Mar 27 2005, 22:14 »

I am planning to climb either the carstanesz pyramid, or Mount Elbrus in the December (school) holidays. (Or another, If anyone has a suggestion)

I was just wondering, what would be better to climb. I understand that the season/climate has an imense impact on climb, and that Elbrus will be below freazing point, during December. (which will mean I would be able to do it in the June/July school holidays next year)

Could anyone who has any advice on those two mountains please assist me on my decision? (It is inevitable that I will climb one of them, at least I hope)

P.S. I heard that Mount Elbrus is nearly 2 weeks (including the tours of the town etc.) Climbing for 10+- days could become a bit tedious..., what is the shortest trip available? (with appropriate acclimatisation)

I don't think age is an important deciding factor, but I am currently 15 years of age.

Hi there, welcome on the forum. Let me start by saying that no mountain can be rushed and if you cannot even spend 10 days on a trip/climb to Elbrus than you should not climb at all.
That said, at the moment the only option is Elbrus. Check out the elbrus trips pages for regular dates and climbing season. Outside these dates it is really tough, cold and blue ice, and definately no place for a first climb.

Carstensz is still closed until further notice so there is no choice there, I am a fraid!
If you have not climbed Kilimanjaro, I would suggest you climb that first.
If you already climbed it and have some more experience then Aconcagua might be a good idea, climbing season is from December - february. Again it cannot be rushed and you will need 3 weeks!

O0
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

tanner

• Hiker
  • Follow Your Dreams!
    • SURF2SUMMIT
« Reply #2 on: Mar 28 2005, 23:52 »

I was able to climb Aconcagua on my winter break...just get a contract with your school if they do that sort of thing. Aconcagua especially is nice. I photocoppied all my assignments and the pages from the books I needed, sent it up in a bag with the mules and did it all at basecamp...for it not being some of my best work, I told my astonished teachers that I was hypoxic at 14,000 ft. doing homework...my school was very understanding...a teenager climbing foreign mountains isnt something every kid does. If Elberus is your choice...why not summer break? It'd be a lot warmer  ;D

illicit

• Armchair...
  • I am too lazy too change this text!
« Reply #3 on: Apr 5 2005, 22:58 »

I have already successfully summeted Kilimanjaro (Umbwe Route), and as I stated previously, I understand the appropriate climbing dates, which is why I chose to attempt it in July.

That said, I suggested a shorter route, due to the fact that I currently live in South Africa, and unlike American schools, our vacation periods are quite different, and our July vacation is quite short (under three weeks), therefor it would be best suited for a shorter hike, yet I fully understand the aspects of acclimatisation.

Thank you for your suggestion on climbing Aconcagua, I will certainly consider it.

Tanner: Unfortunately we do not have summer break... Our vacations are spread out throughout the year, and our school year is spread from January -December. (With a long vacation from the 4th of December, to the 21st of January)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 22 queries.