7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 12th April: update on Alex and Sergey  (Read 5641 times)

Chris Valentine

• Scrambler
  • Altitude: 19
  • Webmaster for Lorenzo's Everest Audio Blog
    • Lorenzo's Everest Audio Blog
12th April: update on Alex and Sergey
« on: Apr 12 2005, 20:53 »

Got a couple more recordings from Lorenzo today, after yesterday's failures which I can only put down to a poor satellite signal. Alex was injured but is being 'fixed' and will return to the team shortly. Meanwhile they're getting some wonderful views of the Himalays from the vast Tibetan plateau, on the way to base camp.

Lorenzo's Everest Audio Blog

Chris.
Webmaster for Lorenzo's Everest Audio Blog
KMi, The Open University
http://everest.open.ac.uk

Romke

• The Wireless Biker
  • Administrator
  • Scrambler
  • Altitude: 1
  • Werr's me armchair?
    • All things Romke
Re: 12th April: update on Alex and Sergey
« Reply #1 on: Apr 13 2005, 03:50 »

Received a short message from Harry today:

"Hey, my phone is working again. Now in Xegar (New Tingri), 4350m and cold! Still reasonably on schedule. To basecamp day after tomorrow!"

MournesMan

• Scrambler
  • Altitude: 0
  • Live life and follow your dreams
« Reply #2 on: Apr 13 2005, 04:56 »

Was horrified to see the extent of Serguey's injury on the Everest.net link - 3/4 of his heel blown away.  He was to be guiding!!!  I hope they can rebuild his foot so that he can carry on doing what he loves - climbing mountains.

Good to hear that Harry is well on the way to basecamp and is on the Tibetan plateau.  Watched a channel 4 TV programme showing the Tibetan plateau - it involved a pilgramage trek around the base of one of the mountains by Nick Middleton and it looked cold and desolate (did anyone watch it?)

Chris, I would be interested to learn more about the IPAQ solution to sending images - it is a pity that laptops don't work so well at those altitudes, but do IPAQs work any better?

Colin

Buddha

• Climber
  • Altitude: 17
« Reply #3 on: Apr 13 2005, 05:06 »

Colin,

The IPAQ has survived extreme humidity and temperatures down to -55C. It has survived at 8000 meters on Everest. Due to their lack of rotating hard-drives, the hand-helds are more reliable at altitude than laptops.

Daisy

• Scrambler
  • Altitude: -23
« Reply #4 on: Apr 13 2005, 14:40 »

Chris, I would be interested to learn more about the IPAQ solution to sending images - it is a pity that laptops don't work so well at those altitudes, but do IPAQs work any better?

Colin

Hi Colin,
Last year the Irish team on Everest used IPAQs right up to the South Col to send messages and pictures to base camp and back to Ireland. We had a laptop too though and I used to have to keep it in my sleeping bag at night! We also used IPAQs on Aconcagua in January. They're great little tools (and not just coz i work for HP  ;) )
“Today, it is still not hard to find a man who will adventure for the sake of a dream or one who will search, for the pleasure of searching, and not for what he may find.”
                        Sir Edmund Hillary

Chris Valentine

• Scrambler
  • Altitude: 19
  • Webmaster for Lorenzo's Everest Audio Blog
    • Lorenzo's Everest Audio Blog
« Reply #5 on: Apr 13 2005, 20:13 »

We've not looked into using the iPAQ yet but are keen to. The ones we have have a slot for a Secure Digital memory card and BlueTooth so in theory, with the right camera, you wouldn't need any cables between it, camera and phone.

Chris.
Webmaster for Lorenzo's Everest Audio Blog
KMi, The Open University
http://everest.open.ac.uk

MournesMan

• Scrambler
  • Altitude: 0
  • Live life and follow your dreams
« Reply #6 on: Apr 14 2005, 04:42 »

Daisy

Nice plug for HP but I think I'll stick to buying a Dell Axim - but mainly because I can get it cheaper and VAT free through work (QUB).  Though if you can get me a good price for one of the IPAQs (hx4700) then I might be a convert!!!  :lol)

Anyway, sounds like you had fun on your last expedition - did you reach the summit?

Colin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 23 queries.