7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 13th april: Xigar: Monastery and tractor rides  (Read 5713 times)

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
13th april: Xigar: Monastery and tractor rides
« on: Apr 13 2005, 20:06 »

Ok, had 3 power outages in 25 minutes, so will see how far this report will go, do not be surprised if it ends abrubtly..

Most people slept badly last night, altitude is kicking in. Had a headache myself, was not the only one. We are drinking plenty of water, so should be better soon.
This morning we read the email Alex sent us, most of it was already covered in Chris' previous post on this forum. It's amazing how close they were behind us when the attack happened. Were we lucky or were they unlucky? Hard to tell, but expeditions like ours in countries like these are much more than just simply climbing a mountain, that's for sure.
We hope to see Alex in BC in a week or so, will be great to cathc up again.

Today was another easy day, all we were planning to do was visiting the town of Xigar (Shegar). We drove up in the morning and hiked up to the wonderful ancient monastery built on a hill. It also had been destroyed by the chinese, but most of it has been rebuilt. We got a short tour through the inner monastery with many Buddha statues, oil lamps and miscellaneous interesting relics.
There was an old library, consisting of an open cupboard with old scrolls filled with holy texts. But the best thing was we could go underneath it and slowly walk under the cabinet, which supposedly will make some of the old knowledge rub off on us. We might need that the next few weeks :-)

Some of our group scrambled all the way to the summit, completely covered in prayer flags, I chose a lotitary peak nearby and made some nice shots of the town, Everest and Makalu, another 8000+m mountain. What an amazing country this is.

We walked around town a bit in search of an internet cafe, but the power was completely down all day. We were planning to hike the 7km back, but were not so sure when we felt the hard wind in the burning sun. I noticed a typical Tibethan vehicle, kind of a crossing between a lawnmower, pick up truck and a tractor, and whistled at him. He saw me and stopped and we negotiated 30 yuan for the ride back which was wonderful  8)
We picked James up on the way and relaxed in the hotel the rest of the day.

Tomorrow the 14th we will make a huge jump in altitude, driving from 4300m to basecamp at 5200m! Hope to sent more updates soon. Meanwhile we managed to send the first pictures from Nepal to Romke, hopefully they arrive ok and he might be able to add some pix to previous stories.

All the best from a windy Tibet,

Harry

« Last Edit: Apr 15 2005, 01:45 by Romke »
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

MournesMan

• Scrambler
  • Altitude: 0
  • Live life and follow your dreams
Re: 13th april: Xigar: Monastery and tractor rides
« Reply #1 on: Apr 14 2005, 04:55 »

Harry

Its great reading about the expedition and listening to Lorenzo's "audio blogs" - tell him to keep up the good work of keeping us all informed.  It sounds a fantastic experience - an amazing extravaganza of scenery and culture and a different way of life, far beyond anything imaginable in NI.  I'm seriously jealous!!  ;D

Looks like a significant hike in altitude tomorrow - I hope you have all managed to shake off the headaches today.  Just don't pile on too much altitude too soon.  Sounds like you have a great bunch of folks - I'm sure there is great comradeship.  Anyway, best wishes and take care,

Colin  8)

Chris Valentine

• Scrambler
  • Altitude: 19
  • Webmaster for Lorenzo's Everest Audio Blog
    • Lorenzo's Everest Audio Blog
« Reply #2 on: Apr 14 2005, 14:45 »

Have passed your message on, Colin.

Chris.
Webmaster for Lorenzo's Everest Audio Blog
KMi, The Open University
http://everest.open.ac.uk

Fred Ockenburg

« Reply #3 on: Apr 14 2005, 15:01 »

Hi Harry,

Lucky you, being back in Tibet! Hope u all cope with the altitude quickly but going slow will help too!

Say hi to the Rongbuk Monestary for me... And tell them we will meet again! Keep up with the drinking and smile as much as possible.

Take care

Fred

Romke

• The Wireless Biker
  • Administrator
  • Scrambler
  • Altitude: 1
  • Werr's me armchair?
    • All things Romke
« Reply #4 on: Apr 15 2005, 01:55 »

Ok, we've got pictures coming in! Looks like Harry's enjoying his new EOS 20D. Obviously their bandwidth is limited, so don't expect too much resolution. I'm not sure if they'll be able to send e-mail daily, so there is a chance that images show up only a few days after the text update was posted.

MournesMan

• Scrambler
  • Altitude: 0
  • Live life and follow your dreams
« Reply #5 on: Apr 15 2005, 05:07 »

Hi Romke

Great to see some pictures at last - pretty decent quality too!! :)

It would be nice to have some descriptions associated with them though - I take it the first picture on this topic is on of Harry with the goggles on!!?

Colin

Romke

• The Wireless Biker
  • Administrator
  • Scrambler
  • Altitude: 1
  • Werr's me armchair?
    • All things Romke
« Reply #6 on: Apr 15 2005, 12:25 »

Hey Colin,

Yep, that's him! You're right though, I'll work on the descriptions ... not sure if I'll be able to dig up names for the kids on the last picture though.

Ruth Finn

« Reply #7 on: Apr 15 2005, 16:38 »

Message to Lorenzo from Ruth and Nikki! Both of us are thinking about you, Ruth wants to know about the weather, Nikki just wants a mountain pool and a cuddle! Cheers and Good Luck too from the Green Pie Gang!xx
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 23 queries.