7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 25th April: No sight for sore eyes, washing, another feast for the FBC and Yuri  (Read 8205 times)

Romke

• The Wireless Biker
  • Administrator
  • Scrambler
  • Altitude: 1
  • Werr's me armchair?
    • All things Romke

Noel's eyes have not improved during the first night at BC. Team Doctor Andrey has explained that very likely blood vessels have burst around the inners of Noels eyes, causing blood to leak into the eye which makes it impossible to focus.
He has prescribed Diamox, which is a diuretic originally developed to treat glaucoma and is commonly used to prevent and treat altitude disease as well. It should drain the pressure and we will have to wait what the next few days will bring us: improvement and possible continuation of Noel's climb, or or descent for further treatment or even leaving the expedition...

The Tibethan kitchen helpers are doubling as washing machines today and many climbers smell as new. The first beards are flying through the air and the optical age of the team goes down with decades per minute.
Meanwhile Jamie nearly killed himself in the sauna by slipping on the wet floor covers, but fortunately it takes a lot of water and soap to clean out the Wilde American and he got out lightly bruised only :)
The lunch is incredible again, not only is the delicious soup accompanied by warm cinnamon rolls, but we get watermelon slices for dessert.

All of this is only the entrée for what is awaiting us tonight. Yuri is celebrating his 50th birthday here at Everest BC, and the party will be remembered. Karo has sent off one of the locals to get a bunch of chickens yesterday and spent most of the day marinating them. The cooks have gone wild and serve not only great coleslaws and potatoe/carrot curry, but also delicious onion/garlic mix for the chicken and top it off with a real birthday cake.

Yuri about to cut the birthday cake

Nate, John, Marco, Victor and Sascha have returned today, so only Alex, Dimitri, Andrey, Lorenzo and Robert are missing at the party. Meanwhile nearly everybody at the table has toasted on Yuri's health, translated in English and Russian by Karo & Igor and accompanied by red wine and old Russian Bard music.

Whatever happens on Everest, this is one night we will not lightly forget...

Song of the day:
Anything by Vladimir Visotsky

« Last Edit: Apr 28 2005, 05:55 by Romke »

john c

Hope Noels feeling better and the Diamox are starting to kick in. Fingers crossed here! Your reports have become indispensible parts of the day - its become the first thing I look for in the mornings ( I had this same problem when Ellen McArthur was sailing the world).It does give us all a little taste of what you are going through.
Good luck to you all for the coming days.

Greg

Hi,
Hope Noel's feeling more comfortable and on the mend. Lynne I hope your preparing ready supplies of Chicken Soup.
Thinking about you both. Good luck.

Greg.

annhall

• Hiker
  • Altitude: 2
  • I am too lazy too change this text!

Hi NOel and Lynne hope things are not too bad and your yes will be okay noel,thinking of you bothe especially today. We will keep listening to the reports and checking in all the best for now. Allour Love ann

Shirley & Claude

Hi there Lynne & Noel,

Hope that by the time you read this Noel's condition will have improved greatly.

Mum and Dad send their love.

Thinking about you every day........

Love from Shirley and Claude

Gros bisous XXX

Mary Clare

Romke

Great job describing the days of April 20th - April 25th!

We are all hoping that Noel's eyes will heal quickly and that he will be able to continue this assent of Everest with all of you.  What a difficult situation for Noel.  Please let him know that we are all thinking of him.

All the best to everyone!

mc

ulster

• Armchair...
  • Altitude: 0
  • I am too lazy too change this text!

Hi Lynne & Noel, sorry to hear of Noels eye problem heres hoping they will improve quickly.   
The reports from Everest are fascinating reading and give a glimpse of a world us armchair   travellers :eek)  back home can only dream about. Love and prayers to you both.
   fred b
 C'MON  THE ULSTERMAN( AND WOMAN). 

Mary Clare

A message for Yuri in Russian.  I hope it will translate correctly!

Юрий!
  Поздравляю с пятидесятилетием!   
Желаю много- много счастья и удачи во всех
твоих альпинистских предприятиях и
      путешествиях!!!

mc

Lynne & Noel

Hi Lynne & Noel,
Sorry to hear about Noel's eyes.  Hope they're much better today. The girlies in Boots Belfast all send lots of love and best wishes.  We think and talk about you every day. Speak to you soon. Luv, Thelma.

Terri

Go FBC! Go Nate!
« Reply #9 on: Apr 27 2005, 02:25 »

Hey, Nate,
All the Mackey's are cheering you on.  ;D Praying for your success, and your entire team's success. Hope you are not suffering too much from the headaches and high altitude.  You are our hero!
Take care,
Terri & Bob, David, Mark, Tracy
ps:  Harry, great job on the write ups. 

Avril Smith

Hi Lynne

Sorry to hear about Noels eyes!  Hope you are well, thinking of you every day and trying to raise as much money as possible for you.

Take care
Avril (Boots Ballymena)

Grainne & Jimmy

HI Lynne & Noel

Hope the eyes have started to improve. We are thinking of you both, please take care.

Love Jimmy & Grainne (soul sis)

Maria and mark

dear Lynne and Noel,

Hope your eyes are getting better. we are thinking of you every day and praying hard for you. Hang in there but stay safe. we miss you. lots of love and hugs, M and Mxxxxxxxxx

MournesMan

• Scrambler
  • Live life and follow your dreams

Romke

I want to echo congrats for the excellent reports you managed acquire from Harry - great job!!

Great party Harry - fantastic food!!  I can't get my head around the endless luxuries you seem to have acquired for this expedition - well done to 7 summits and Alpina Industrie

Like all the other NI folk on here, am concerned for Noel and I hope the problem with the eyes do not cause a premature end to his expedition.  Thinking of you both - take care!

Colin

Romke

• The Wireless Biker
  • Administrator
  • Scrambler
  • Altitude: 1
  • Werr's me armchair?
    • All things Romke

Thanks Colin, all I do is post the stuff that he sends me. Hope you enjoy the pictures that I'm adding just now!

Compliments for you on the thirty-something posts a day! I keep spamming harry's mailbox with your posts, so his account may run out soon. He's very happy to read the messages from the 'real world' though, as according to him it does get lonely sometimes on that giant rock!

- Romke

MournesMan

• Scrambler
  • Live life and follow your dreams

Hi Romke

I see you are still up at this late hour (1:26am in N Ireland).  I have work tomorrow but I needed to catch up on the posts - missed a couple of days there.

Just looking at the pictures you posted - they are great and add significantly to the story of the expedition (it is nice to put faces to the names).  I hope Harry's account doesn't run out!!  He'll be blocking my messages with an anti-spam filter if I'm not careful.

Anyway, just one more new post to look at - that's the one your posted re: 27th

Catch you later - feel free to IM me!!

Colin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 23 queries.