7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Boots Aconcagua and beyond  (Read 6788 times)

Roger

• Adventurer
  • Scrambler
  • Altitude: 0
  • Adventurer
Boots Aconcagua and beyond
« on: May 13 2005, 06:07 »

Hi all from Sydney Australia
I intend to climb Aconcagua Jan 8 2006
I see much debate on boots,  Koflach plastic vs say La Sportiva Olympus Mons EVO. I wish to invest in a boot that I can use beyond Aconcagua on some of the higher peaks.  Something that is comfortable.  I read plastic is not so comfortable where the line of La Sportiva is.
What are both like to walk in?
I would appreciate feedback on this.

MoT

• Climber
  • Altitude: 8
    • TightropeNET
Re: Boots Aconcagua and beyond
« Reply #1 on: May 13 2005, 15:21 »

Ever consider Asolo boots? (AFS 8000)

I had Scarpa Vegas which were fine but were heavy. The AFS is very light (only 1200g per boot i think) and give very good insulation. My climbing partner summited using them

MikeW

• Climber
  • Altitude: 13
  • To be is to climb!
« Reply #2 on: May 13 2005, 19:41 »

Hey MoT!

Just watched your singing performance at Plaza Argentina Base Camp the other day, one of my expedition's buddy filmed it on video. I've got it on DVD. When Harry will come back, I'll ask him if I can post the video online, it's only 2 to 3 minutes but it's neat.

As for the boots Roger, I had the Salomon Pro Thermic double boots, but they are not plastic so much more comfortable for longer days on the trails and I did summited with those. I'll even bring them on Vinson in Antarctica next January with an overboot. They are really warm.

MikeW

Roger

• Adventurer
  • Scrambler
  • Altitude: 0
  • Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: Aug 18 2005, 10:45 »

Thanks for the comments guys.  After much research and discussion in relation to my long term plans I have chosed Millet Everest GTX. Will use my goretex scarpas lower down then the millets for prob last few days. Yes they will be heavier to lug but I can cope. This way I have a boot that I can use on the highest and coldest mountains also.

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
« Reply #4 on: Aug 18 2005, 13:16 »

Good choice, though I used the scarpa vega on Aconcagua and the Asolo's on Denali (with overboot), they are not warm enough for Everest summitday.
Actually I think the Millet's are lighter than the scarpa's, surely if you include the overboots in the weight but of course also a lot bulkier, so only used for the last days.

Make sure your crampons fit as not all do.

Cheers,
Harry
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 22 queries.