7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 25th: Gentleman (and Ladies), start your engines  (Read 6373 times)

Chris Valentine

• Scrambler
  • Altitude: 19
  • Webmaster for Lorenzo's Everest Audio Blog
    • Lorenzo's Everest Audio Blog

Lorenzo just text messaged me to say he was at IBC, with the rest of the team (except Viktor) at ABC, getting ready for their last attempt on the summit.

From reading some other forums and message boards, it looks like 29th-31st is going to be a good weather window and many teams will go for the summit at the same time. At least on the South side, teams have decided to pool their resources to improve their chances of success since (if I read it right) no one has yet summited from the South side at all this year.

Chris.
Webmaster for Lorenzo's Everest Audio Blog
KMi, The Open University
http://everest.open.ac.uk

Chris Valentine

• Scrambler
  • Altitude: 19
  • Webmaster for Lorenzo's Everest Audio Blog
    • Lorenzo's Everest Audio Blog
Re: 25th: Gentleman (and Ladies), start your engines
« Reply #1 on: May 25 2005, 20:49 »

New audio message just arrived, recorded at 10:30pm from Lorenzo's sleeping bag. Multiple weather reports at last agree that the predicted weather window looks a good prospect for summiting. 600m lower than ABC, and more sheltered, means 'middle camp' is somewhat more restful - and even though he's the only climber there, he manages to scrounge a decent dinner.

Made a trip with James and Nathan to see Makkalu, Lhotse and the famous, unclimbed Fantasy Ridge. Thawing landscape has visibly changed in the last two weeks. Will start back for ABC tomorrow.

Chris.
Webmaster for Lorenzo's Everest Audio Blog
KMi, The Open University
http://everest.open.ac.uk

Romke

• The Wireless Biker
  • Administrator
  • Scrambler
  • Altitude: 1
  • Werr's me armchair?
    • All things Romke
« Reply #2 on: May 25 2005, 21:19 »

Similar new on mounteverest.net:

7 Summits – Moving on

“Having gone through the shock connected with the death of Marko Lihteneker, the 7 Summits Club continues their ascent. Now in АВС there are 15 Members of the expedition and 13 Sherpas. They are preparing to start the climb as soon as it seems reasonable. The weather at the present moment is quite bad. After the 29th we expect a decrease in wind. During a general meeting, the decision was made to start on May 27-28. We hope on May, 30-31 to reach the top. The majority of expeditions which are now in АВС have similar plans.”

MournesMan

• Scrambler
  • Altitude: 0
  • Live life and follow your dreams
« Reply #3 on: May 26 2005, 04:37 »

Good luck with the continued ascent though I have to say that it feels somewhat hollow now that there has been a fatality.  I assume the body that was found at 8800m was Marko?  It would appear that there are still lessons to learned and that sufficient wisdom has not been gleaned from events of the past.

It is a pity that the 2 Slovenians didn't wait for the better weather window.  I don't know what happened up there with Marko but it is very sad and sometimes I wonder if it really was worth the risk.  Given the time difference in summitting it is apparent that the 2 guys did not stick together and seemed to be climbing independently.  Also they were a very small group and appear not to have had sherpas with them - a major risk should difficulties arise.  It would have been better to summit as part of a larger group.  I just wish that the team could have climbed together more as a unit.  Then just maybe the death might have been avoided.

I send my condolences to the team and particularly to the family of Marko - I am very sad at their loss.

Colin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 23 queries.