7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 26th May: team will attempt summit in two groups  (Read 8362 times)

erikv

• Happy at sea level
  • Administrator
  • Hiker
  • Altitude: 2
  • I rather leave the climbing to my assistant

It is Erik here, taking over for Romke while he enjoys a well deserved break from all that armchair mountaineering... :)

News from Harry in ABC:

[End of day, May 26] "I spent most of the day in meetings, but in the end summit plans are unchanged: start May 27/28 and aiming for the summit on May 30/31.

The 7 summits club team will split into two groups.  Group 1 will start tomorrow May 27 and aim to summit on May 30, while group 2 will start May 28 with the aim to summit May 31.

Group 1: Nikolay Chernyy, Yury Taydokov, Ivan Dusharin, Grigory Skaller, Alexandre Lakovenko, Igor Pokhvalin, Karo Ovasapyan, James Wilde. Sherpas: Pasang Tenzing, Mingma Forche, Pemba Tensing Samte, Mingma Gelu, Pasang Temba Geldjin, Pemba Renjin.

Group 2: Alexander Abramov, Dmitry Moskalev, Harry Kikstra, John Christiana, Nate Schneider, Lorenzo Gariano, Robert Ulph. Sherpas: Lakcha Rengin, Nima Dorji, Mingma Nurbu, Pemba Nurbu.

Weather forecasts do not all agree, but all-in-all 30/31 looking reasonably OK."
« Last Edit: May 26 2005, 23:22 by erikv »

Mary Clare

Re: 26th May: team will attempt summit in two groups
« Reply #1 on: May 26 2005, 23:08 »

Hi Erik

I will thank you ahead of time for taking over the "armchair position" for Romke!

Well, it is definitely show time for the 7 Summits.  The plan sounds solid and they have a chance to summit.  I feel very excited for the team and I also have concerns regarding the amount of climbers and sherpas that will be pushing for the top at the same time.  According to Alex, there could be as many 200 - 300 people coming from the north side.  I am hoping everyone will be safe.  Whether or not a climber summits, he will take a piece of this mysterious, beautiful and most challenging mountain with him.  This is an experience one would treasure for a life time!  I say to the 7 Summits.....GOOD LUCK and I hope each one of you will become summitteers of Everest!

To my brother, John...a special GOOD LUCK!!!  As Dad would say "Go for the gusto".

Sincerely,
mc

EdwoodCA

« Reply #2 on: May 27 2005, 03:49 »

Good luck to all of you!  Looking forward to great news.   Be safe and enjoy the view from the top.  Watch out for helicopters, lol.

John [Christiana]... Pier 9 is rootin' for ya, Stiller.  Keep on, keepin' on, and we'll see you back home for some stories and pictures over some pints.

Edward

Michael Sosnowy

« Reply #3 on: May 27 2005, 06:39 »

Good luck on the summit attempt, 7 Summit Teams.

A special hoo-rah to Jamie Wilde

erikv

• Happy at sea level
  • Administrator
  • Hiker
« Reply #4 on: May 27 2005, 17:37 »

Mary Clare, EdwoodCA: Your good luck wishes have been passed on to John in ABC.

Michael: I will try to get your message to James at North Col.

Erik
« Last Edit: May 27 2005, 18:51 by erikv »

MournesMan

• Scrambler
  • Altitude: 0
  • Live life and follow your dreams
« Reply #5 on: May 29 2005, 06:12 »

Good luck to both groups.  All my best wishes to Harry, Lorenzo, John and Nate - I feel like I've come to know you a little during this epic adventure.  Another post mentioned helicopters - not sure if they can fly at such altitudes due to the "thin air".  However, I would say... watch out for the 747s and other jet aircraft (just over 30,000 ft is their cruising altitude and (hopefully) where you will be standing on the 30/31 May, you may just be able to see what the passengers are having for dinner!!!).  In any case, if you are quick enough, you might be able to catch a free ride home (on one of the wings!!  :lol))

Seriously though, take care and don't take too many risks.  Work as a team, care for each member like they were your brothers!  And above all, enjoy the view from the top - you may only get to see it this once (hopefully the weather will stay clear enough to allow it).

Good luck to everyone and here's hoping for success,
Colin

erikv

• Happy at sea level
  • Administrator
  • Hiker
« Reply #6 on: May 29 2005, 12:41 »

Hi MournesMan,

The helicoper references are all related to this: http://www.eurocopter.com/everest/

First chopper landing on Everest! (two weeks ago)

Cheers,

Erik

Mary Clare

« Reply #7 on: May 29 2005, 13:18 »

Hi Erik

Thanks for the link!  I had read about the 1st landing of an aircraft on Mt. Everest two weeks ago.  It was posted on Everest News.  But I had not seen these great photos!

It is an amazing event for aviation history.  At first I thought that Everest should stay as a mountain to be climbed by men (or women) only.  But now, maybe lives can be saved because of this astounding feat.

mc
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 23 queries.