7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: June 3rd - GOOD NEWS - part 2 - Harry summit! Is OK and on his way to ABC  (Read 35354 times)

Daisy

• Scrambler
  • Altitude: -23

Congratulations Harry! and to the rest of the team and sherpas! the last month sounded pretty gruelling not to mention the last few days. I have to admit I was a little worried yesterday. Just goes to show you what a serious mountain this is. Well done to everyone and thanks for all the fantastic dispatches. It's been a really interesting and nail-biting couple of months.
Have a safe descent and talk soon!
D
“Today, it is still not hard to find a man who will adventure for the sake of a dream or one who will search, for the pleasure of searching, and not for what he may find.”
                        Sir Edmund Hillary

Corsair

• Scrambler
  • Altitude: -2

:D :D :D
Great!
Congratulations Harry!!!
Really happy you made it down ok and as a bonus also finally reached the highest spot on earth!
We were a bit nervous yesterday---
To die? No, I climbed up there to LIVE!

tigger

• Armchair...
  • Altitude: 0
  • I am too lazy too change this text!
Brownie Sundays any day
« Reply #22 on: Jun 3 2005, 20:21 »

Hello Harry just a wee message from The Big Girl and Noel
many congrats on your summit ....you had us worried we
look forward to our next chance to climb together mind yourself
in the meantime and do have a brownie Sunday on us ....
say a big hi to all the other  fat bastards too 
Love Lynne
« Last Edit: Jun 3 2005, 21:16 by erikv »

Ron

• Mountaineer
  • Altitude: -1
  • Adapt,improvise and overcome!

Harry's stay on that altitude is in duration not a record smrtnupp, but still..i would not like being there in the DZ for more then 2 days.

Colie

Wow, Harry!! That is so awesome. Glad you are coming back down now safe and sound. I hope there is a chocolate bar waiting for you below!---Colie   O0

Mari

• Hiker
  • Altitude: 39
  • Am I supposed to write something here? :)

:D Congratulations Harry!  8)

I'll drink a toast to you tonight...or two...maybe three  ;D

Altitude record 6654m. Next summer (2011) will try to up that to 7546m..

Marc Streefkerk

Harry, Congratulations!!!
We were a little bit worried, but you made it! Super! You deserved it after the problems of previous Autumn! Speak you about your adventures and hopely did you made a lot of video material!
Relax and enjoy the fun!!!

Moss

• Hiker
  • Altitude: 1

Fantastic news Harry!
Congratulations - you must be delighted!

Nikky

• Hiker
  • Altitude: 1

Fantastic news about Harry and the rest of the team! Delighted you are all safe and on your way down. Did Lorenzo use a parachute for his discent as he seemed to come down mighty quick?! Will miss your reading reports here in humid, flat, Florida, (longing for a Hike next month on Great Gable) Ruth, Nikky and of course, the "Greedy Green Pie Guzzlers".

Nancy

Congratulations, Harry!  I especially like the picture of you on Everest in a South Park snowsuit! 

Hi to John!  Looking forward to hearing from you as soon as you can! 
« Last Edit: Jun 4 2005, 11:23 by erikv »

Jette

Hero!!!!!

A man is not a mountain:
Mountains never meet, men always do. And some of the most extraordanary men...
they meet these mountains to.

Congratz to all of you!

Jette

Mary Clare

Congradulations summiteers!!!

Hey, all you people of little faith.  Not sure if Harry had summited?  He was climbing for 21 hours!  It's not like he went out of his way to stop and get a cappucino!!!  You are amazing, Harry.  I hope you are in fair to good physical condition.  Same goes for John, Dmitry, Lorenzo and the accompaning sherpas.

Cheers!
mc

p.s.  Love the picture of Harry on the summit!  Nice Erik!

Jamie

Harry-

You know that I care for you a lot and am happy you are alive, but this really showed poor judgement. I hope that you practice what you preach in the future.

As well, I am really hoping to catch up over a beer in A'dam.

Best regards and speedy recovery.

Jamie (team mate from the climb)

ap

Harry,

Congratulations with your succes ( and off course also for the rest of the team )

We both shared your adventure in such a way we were emotional involved in your adventure. The result is a lot of sleepness nights but also in an enourmous bar bill. As you come back home I want to share my bills with you as a result of this Highly Involved Project.

Cheers, and we are so glad you made it,

Ap & Petra

bart

• Armchair...
  • Tajumulco summit, Guatemala
    • Bart Jansen

Congratulations Harry and the team!!

What a performance. All the best with finishing the expedition and a safe journey back home.

Best regards,

Bart

John Christiana

Hi everyone,

This is John Christiana, one of the fat bastards and the last 4 on team 2.  Thanks for the support and well wishes!

I cannot retrive my AOL mail yet, but can get on Harry's website.

To set the record straight, I summitted at 11:30 am (9:30 am Napoli time - which is what 99% of the climbers use - for comparison sake).  Other numbers used are totally BOGUS!  We spent about 45 minutes on top, which might seem long, but Rangi and I were enjoying the view and taking lots of pictures (later).  By the way, my personal Sherpa, Rangi, was the best.

I was slow to start, but then turned my oxygen to 3 lpm and then put it in gear.  even so, I only used a little over 2 bottles the whole summit day.

I was very sorry to hear about Lorenzo.  We climbed together the first several hours, and then I could have sworn he wizzed past me.  Then I passed Harry on the top of the second step.  Then Dymetry and I passed each other about a half hour from the top (along the ledge cliff), as he descended.

I returned to camp 3 about 5:15 pm (3:15 Napoli time).  Alex wanted me to move to camp 2 because of lack of oxygen (fair enough), but my legs were tired and I knew we had lots of oxygen.  I even set my oxygen tank to 2 liters per minute that night which is 4 times greater than it needs to be while sleeping.  The problem was that the sherpas and the wind (both unintentionally) DESTROYED my tent that night (at one time they threw Harry into my tent at midnight and then dragged him and all the contents out).  It was insane.  I was yelling at them to stop.  The tent was setup at an angle to begin with (on the fairly steep hill) and now 3 corners were loose (after the ruckus).  I had to spend the night in the chilling freezing wind at 27,000 feet (8300 meters) looking for cover.  In the morning, after thawing my toes, I descended without water (well, I ate ice).

AS far as summit day, it was awesome!!  It is just starting to sink in.  To be honest, because of my slow start, after 4 or so hours, I did not think I would summit.  I was preparing in my head what i would tell everyone.  But I kept going.  Then just before the second step, I saw the summit (looking pretty close) and I heard music (angel's singing) and I knew I had a chance to make the peak.  Now i pushed it.

Okay, tomorrow we head to kathmandu and I hope to rebook my flight (June 8).

over and out, John

Mary Clare

Hi John

Wow!  Is it good to hear from you!  Thanks for setting the record straight.  Sometimes it is hard to get accurate info regarding the summit times, etc.  The family and I had a long 24 hours or so but I believed you would summit and stay safe.  (But we were worried as the conditions were quite harsh.)  When I spoke to Harry at ABC on June 4th and asked him how you were, his exact words were "John is strong".

I can't wait to see pictures and hear all about this climb.  I am glad you were able to enjoy the view from the top.  Amazing, John, you were on top of the world.  Awesome!!!

Please call me as soon as you are back home and back to "reality".

mc

EdwoodCA

WOOHOO!!!!  Thanks for the posting, Stiller!!!!   

Peter Meier

• Armchair...
  • Fan of Harry.

Das KIKKEN Kikstra.
Nog eentje te gaan.

Gefeliciteerd.

Peter.
D'oude Vos.

(When you are at the top, don't forget.
You're just halfway).
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 23 queries.